Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #1

best length for state campgrounds

We want to spend up to 6 mos traveling mostly in Fl and staying in state campgrounds, kind of off the beaten track. We want something big enough to have decent living space, but small enough to maneuver in smaller campgrounds. My husband wants a diesel pusher, but I'm not sure that is necessary.
We sold our 25 ft Georgie Boy a few years ago because we weren't using it enough. That size would be too small for us now. So the question is how big can you go and expect to get into most of the state run campgrounds? Thanks.
PChace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
We went from a 36 foot fifth-wheel to our 32 foot motorhome for exactly this reason. There were just too many state parks that could not accommodate us. We have had no problems with our 32 foot. We visited over 30 Florida state parks in 2011 and were able to fit into all sites. I would not want anything longer. We have 2 slides, a bedroom and a living/dining room slide, and have plenty of space for comfortable living three months at a time.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

Depends on the state park. Our 38 will fit in any Ohio park and only half of the Michigan parks. Since there are many Michigan parks this is not an issue. I'm sure that the 45 foot people will chime in with no problem either. We have the most trouble with narrow access roads and not the size of the actual parking space. Flowers for you and DP for hubby. You should pay attention to the holding tank capacity since the parks usually have only electricity.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Smaller will definitely be helpful, especially in older parks. We have a 40-footer and stay in a lot of State Parks. When we travelled through FL some years back, there were definitely parks we couldn't fit. We made do, but it would have been nice to be ~5 feet smaller and have more choice. In FL especially we found some of the access/roads were the biggest problem. Sites were generally ok, but trees and roads were too small for us in some of the older state parks (I recall quite a few squeezes especially at Fort De Soto and St.Joseph Peninsular).

The newer SPs were no problem, as all have easy access and bigger sites.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Nearly all of the FL State parks that allow RVs can now accommodate 40 ft. However, many have tight roads and tight turns that "might" allow small branches and bushes to come in contact with your vehicle. I have an older 38 foot RV and am willing to accept the slight risk of scratches. BTW, Fort Desoto is a Pinellas County park in the event you were booking ... it is a very nice park.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #6

We spent four months traveling around Florida this winter. Stayed in about eight different state parks. We did not have any problem with our 36'10" Allegro 36LA. Take a look at Reserve America. This is the site that FL uses for making reservations. I think you'll find few, if any, cannot handle at least 36 ft, the vast majority accommodate 40ft. or better.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PChace View Post
We want to spend up to 6 mos traveling mostly in Fl and staying in state campgrounds, kind of off the beaten track. We want something big enough to have decent living space, but small enough to maneuver in smaller campgrounds. My husband wants a diesel pusher, but I'm not sure that is necessary.
We sold our 25 ft Georgie Boy a few years ago because we weren't using it enough. That size would be too small for us now. So the question is how big can you go and expect to get into most of the state run campgrounds? Thanks.
Thirty four feet in most parks throughout the country.
Richard
Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
From what we've seen, 32 to 34 foot would be ideal. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had a 34 and it seems we never had a problem fitting anywhere in Florida. The coach we have now is a little over 36. Still fits in most State Parks but I have to be a little more selective of the site.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #10

Our 31ft is a great length for us. Next one will be in the same range with one maybe two living area slides.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #11

You should have no problems in either the Florida State Parks or the County Parks. If you search the counties you want to visit you can often find a very nice county park that can be closer to the places you want to visit. They will be about the same price as the state parks. You will have a problem the further you go in the North East. I've found the State parks in NJ, CT. NH, NY, VT, Maine are best for tenters and Pop Ups or a small TT.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 35 foot Dutch Star and that is why, we had a bigger one but down-sized for the same reason you are talking about. It has a FL chassis and turns sharp and is easy to get around with. It has enough room for us now but who knows in the future. Good luck. Jim
Old 05-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #13

We haven't been to the NE yet, but we stay at state parks almost exclusively. Judging by our experiences to date, I would say as long as you feel comfortable driving it, you should be fine.

That said, I'm sure you'll find a park you won't fit into, even with a 28' MH, but there are campsite reviews on line that help to minimize any inconvenience.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #14

We stay in most of the Florida State parks with a 40'DP. There are only a few we can't get into......reserve america is a good site and pretty good as far as sizes that will fit....
LJ2654 is offline   Reply With Quote