Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
You really need to convince yourself that fuel economy is not something to worry about if you are going RVing. The big diesels will get better mileage for the weight they can move but the fuel costs more. As said, the best way to get better fuel economy is to lighten up that foot. 10MPG seems like the magic number for diesel, lower for gas. The V10 gasser we had got about 7mpg. The 350 Cummins diesel we have now I have no idea because it gets whatever it gets and we are going anyway.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Surprised no one has mentioned wind conditions...if it is in your face, significant lass in milage. If it is strong in your face or quartering in your face at 25-30, and you're worried about milage or have the time, stay in the park an extra night (or pull over in a rest stop), just isn't worth it in stress and cost of fuel (saw mine drop from 8.3 to 5 or so.

X10 on driving speed. Over my short time with my DP pulling 7000 in a toad and MC, every 5 mph over 55 costs at least 0.5 mpg. My guess is it is logarithmic and it is higher if you roar down the road at 70-75, it is probably more like 1.5 mpg in additional cost.

Besides, what's the hurry...as long as you aren't a road hazard

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #17

what about front end design?? the traditional bus front is what everyone wants but if you get the sloped fronts like my '97 london aire its much better into the wind and when not...it just slipstreams away...jeff
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #18

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Man, I'll have to agree with everybody who has said to "slow down." Yup, 55-60 is a good speed to set the cruise control. It's amazing how much poorer MPG is when you compare 55-60 MPH with doing 70-75 MPH under the same conditions. Going a bit slower than 55 will probably give even better MPG but becomes impractical and unsafe going too slow.

In a motorhome, it sometimes isn't practical to not "floor it" as these things are slow to take off. Sometimes you have to floor it to get up to speed like when merging into traffic from an on-ramp. From a safety sandpoint, you'll want to get your speed up when entering traffic as you'll want to do so as fluently as possible. I floor it on almost every on ramp with disregard for MPG. In town taking off from a light, I agree, you don't have to floor it and you'll want to drive as if there was an egg on the accelerator treadle.

-harry
Dear Harry, I had to laugh because I know you do not live in Oklahoma. The reason is because here in Oklahoma some drivers do not know what a (on-ramp) is for. They also don't know the word merge. So here in Oklahoma we use BRAKES at on-ramps ROTFLMAO
Old 03-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
7.5 to 9.5 mpg in our ACE 29.2 with the 5-Star Tune including mountain driving. Using cruise control helps a lot as well.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
1700 rpm at 60 mph with cruise on driving the flat. Turn off cruise, feather the throttle and drop a gear going below 1400 rpm's on hills gets me 8.5 -10 depending on wind pulling the toad or boat. Give yourself plenty of time to get there and enjoy the thrill of it all!!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In fleet use Cummins testing has shown up to a 30% difference between the best and worst drivers,
With our ISC I've seen 3 mpg @ 70 mph in the Columbia Gorge fighting a strong headwind and 256 mpg descending a grade. On the flats and calm winds I see 14-16 mpg on the SilverLeaf instantaneous readout. Average is lower though. I figure 8 mpg when estimating for trips.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #22

At 55 mph i averave 9 to 10 mpg witch i am very satisfied
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
The smaller / lighter the better, the closest you keep it to 55mph the better (although with some transmissions, you have to go above that to get into top gear and then ease off).

As far as the engine / chassis, the best one is arguably the Mercedes / Sprinter based with 3.0 diesel. For larger class As, the Cummins ISB is probably the best option (I think the older ISB5.9 did better than the current ISB6.7) but the current ISB is probably still the king.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Whether it's 7 or 10 mpg, it's still a whole lot better than I get on my 41 ft. twin engine boat. To give you all prospective, I burn 30 gallons an hour and cruise @ 20 knots. In plain English I burn 30 gallons to go 20 miles or about 1.3 gallons per mile... In dollars, at $4/ gal., it costs me over $120 / hr. to go 20 miles... or $6 per mile... Wasn't that bad when i bought the boat as gas was under $2 per gal... Kind of insane now...

More prospective... I hear a lot of bitching in the forums about the "high cost" of staying at private campgrounds. Many of the marinas we stay at cost $2 to $3 per foot plus electric, plus cable. Certainly not bragging as I would love to sell my boat and have been trying to for almost 3 years... Two of many reasons of why I unfortunately still have it...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
The smaller / lighter the better, the closest you keep it to 55mph the better (although with some transmissions, you have to go above that to get into top gear and then ease off).

As far as the engine / chassis, the best one is arguably the Mercedes / Sprinter based with 3.0 diesel. For larger class As, the Cummins ISB is probably the best option (I think the older ISB5.9 did better than the current ISB6.7) but the current ISB is probably still the king.
Cummins ISB is pretty efficient. However, the secret isn't mph but rpm's. use whatever gear is necessary to maintain 1750 rpm.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #26

2002 Newmar Dutchstar 3852 with 3126e cat . Over 69000 miles on Silverleaf which was new with the rig. Average is 7.4mpg. I drive 65 to 67 mph. My .02.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #27

Just sold 65 ft twin engine houseboat last Friday (dance) and I agree with StevieG it liked fuel a lot more than the Dutchstar. I sure can go further on less fuel. It is easier to dock it too. Lol
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Just sold 65 ft twin engine houseboat last Friday (dance) and I agree with StevieG it liked fuel a lot more than the Dutchstar. I sure can go further on less fuel. It is easier to dock it too. Lol
Congratulations Mystery! One of the two best days in a boater's life! And I agree with you on docking... Especially if you are in tidal waters!

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote