Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #29

Oh man I was trying to sell it for 7 months and was doing the chicken dance the whole way home. Just the ongoing maintainance is a killer. Slip fees were almost 10.00 per ft per month plus electric, phone, insurance and property tax. I am one happy chicken! Definitely happier than the day I bought it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Driving style does make a huge difference. My father was a truck driver. He worked for Terminal Transport. Terminal was provided with four trucks for testing. Every gallon of fuel and oil and maintenance was recorded. He got much better fuel millage than than the other drivers. They switched trucks and again he got the best millage. They finally concluded, he just drove better then the other drivers.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #31

So that's why I get better mileage than my teenage sons!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't totally buy into the size/weight thing as I think that chassis gearing and engine type also plays a significant role.

Our last MH was about the smallest class C that you can get. It was a 1995 19' Fleetwood with the Ford 460 efi and we were lucky if we got 9mpg (no toad) mountain terrain.

Our current class A is a 1995 Itasca 30' Chevy 454 efi driving the same route (1100 mile round trip) we averaged 9mpg. Twice the weight, much longer, pushes much more wind with the front and we get better MPG.

I always try to drive conservative to save fuel.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #33

This topic seems to have been discussed very well. In most forums ALL you hear is "If you have to ask about fuel milage then you cant afford it or dont buy a MH". My applause for the great discussion.
Now I will tell you
"My" reason for feeling that asking fuel milage questions are exceptable....
I want to buy a MH that I can afford to drive. For example, Id rather buy a 30ft class C than a 38ft class A if I could drive it for 5000 extra miles for the same cost. (Not all RVers are retired or rich and want to park in the same place for weeks or months at a time. Some want to use them to take weekend trips. Some folks use them for homes so fuel economy is not as important. Some drive them to the races every weekend so a couple extra mpg would be nice.
I know that owning a MH is a great expense.
I know how much enjoyment can be had in a MH.
You know how to make a MH more fun?

Get a few extra MPGs
Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I kinda get miffed when folks say that if MPG is a factor than don't by an RV. Don't get me wrong, fuel costs are a factor in the big picture but so is the ability for me to haul my 2 GSDs and avoid bed bugs in hotels. Finding a happy life style, stick-n-bricks or RV, is about balance and priorities. Don't let any single factor be a yes or no decision.

As to MPG...

My 39' Winnebago Adventure 38J (24K# and 8.1 Workhorse) got about 7.5 MPG on a round trip with mostly highway driving. That would include fuel burned to run the generator for the air conditioning. From the day we bought it until we sold it, including all styles of driving and generator fuel burn we averaged 5.6 MPG over 2246 miles. I tended to run at about 65 MPH.

My current 43' DSDP with the 400 HP ISL...well...don't know a lot yet. Just got it in January and don't have many highway miles. We have several hours of local, in town driving to get educated, learn more about it and finally take our driving test. All the starts have been "cold starts" and a fair amount of idling to build air pressure along with getting water temp up to at least 100*. So, for the last 525 miles we averaged 5.29 MPG. The good news is that on my most recent round trip of about 140 miles I was watching my instant MPG on the flats hover at 8-9 MPG. I tend to run at about 60-62 MPH on the highway.

Keep in mind that we are in winter blend season. I am hoping to see a small increase in MPG as we get into summer blend. Is that a reasonable/normal expectation?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hobby View Post
This topic seems to have been discussed very well. In most forums ALL you hear is "If you have to ask about fuel milage then you cant afford it or dont buy a MH". My applause for the great discussion.

You know how to make a MH more fun?

Get a few extra MPGs
+1000

Those kind of dismissive "comments" don't contribute much and lend a veneer of snobbery to the discussion. Same as the "entry level" commentary.

My Trail-Lite 241 Condor Workhorse with the 8.1L gas turns in a solid 10-12mpg running up to 65mph. Power-to-weight is always a factor.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #36

I have a 38 ft. Damon Intruder and pull a Smart car. It has a Workhorse 8.1 engine and I average 6.5 to 7.5 mpg depending on the mountains. I try to fill up when I'm down to half a tank so it won't be so painful!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #37

Our Newmar Kountry Star 300 hp turbo once got 13 between Redding and Bakersfield. We generally get around 10-11 mpg towing on the flat plains. Less in the mountains.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #38

I searched for the right rig with the right layout, drive train etc for a loooong time as retirement approached.
My 33 FRED was rated for 13.4 mpg, dead empty, not towing. I get 11+ loaded with big toad. And still climbing as the engine is still in break-in mode.

Yes, power to weight.
Yes, more cash flow.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #39

With my W22, level ground, no wind, no hauling I can get slightly over 10 at 55 mph. At 65 I get about 7-7.5 mpg. Enjoy the view, it's cheaper.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I searched for the right rig with the right layout, drive train etc for a loooong time as retirement approached.
My 33 FRED was rated for 13.4 mpg, dead empty, not towing. I get 11+ loaded with big toad. And still climbing as the engine is still in break-in mode.

Yes, power to weight.
Yes, more cash flow.
What builder's FRED do you own?

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post

What builder's FRED do you own?
Thor Serrano

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wagen View Post
Which class As get the best mileage and/or anyway to increase an existing?

Mahalo.
Aloha, I get between 10.5 and 12+ MPG on my 2001 Expedition 36T with a 5.9L 300 HP Cummins. The Cummins 6.7L also is known to get good fuel mileage, if you keep your foot out of it.

I never exceed 60MPH the faster you try to push a areodynamic brick down the road the more your fuel mileage will suffer, one of the math guys might chime in but I think you lose a 10th of a mile per gallon for each mph over 58. Don't hold me to it, but that's what I remember from orentation from one of the trucking jobs I had.

Course with my little 300 hp, (boosted from 270), I am not first to the top of the hill, but I pass them when they are at the next fuel stop If I ever decide to trade her, it will be for another ISB engine, these are not wet cylinder engines and you don't have to worry about SCA's in the coolant or cavatation and it only holds 12 to 14 quarts of oil. Just had the oil changed yesterday at Pro-Tech Diesel in Scott City Mo for 164.00, including filters

Installed new Monroe gas Magumn shocks on all four corners today, myself, and other than a skinned knukle they are great. New tires, we are ready to head for the hills, plains and mountains, look out world, here we come, albiet in a not so speedy pace.

Just as an after thought, here's a place to poke around for some used rigs.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/...motorhomes.php

Happy Trails
Jim

Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote