Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #1

Cool Best mileage?

Which class As get the best mileage and/or anyway to increase an existing?

Mahalo.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Our V10 gas get about 8 mpg. 6.5 to 7 mpg pulling our GC. Best way to increase it is slow down & be easy on the gas pedal but if gas mileage is a worry maybe RVing isn't for you.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great way to improve mileage is get your foot off the floor. Another great way is to budget how many gallons a week/month you want and drive that far. They are called campers not drivers.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #4

I have a 2002 Fleetwood Revolution 40c 350 cummins with a 2008 Honda Accord and running 62mph I get right around 10 mpg. The faster you go (without seeing the country) the less per gallon you get. SO slow down and see the country!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The best mileage is likely to be had by the smallest, lightest, diesel-powered Class-A. There are a few under 30', but not many.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not sure one Class A gets "better" gas mileage than another. I think it is mostly driving style. If you have a gas motorhome, be light on the throttle, travel between 55-60 and install a vacuum gauge. This will tell you how hard the engine is working. Keep the needle in the green or yellow(above 8-10psi) and you'll get the best gas mileage.

If you have a DP, then again be light on the throttle, travel between 55-60 and install a pyrometer. Keep the EGT in the green or yellow(900-1000 degrees) and again you'll get the best gas mileage you can.

The trick is driving techniques. Don't mash the throttle on startup at lights, ease into it and don't use the cruise going up hills(or full throttle)

Doing all this will probably get you where you're going a little slower, but with better gas mileage, I'm guessing 8-10 mpg depending on the age of your unit.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
The best mileage is likely to be had by the smallest, lightest, diesel-powered Class-A. There are a few under 30', but not many.
Mine is a 33 ft diesel puller (the other DP).
It has a 20K lb chassis and a Wrangler is my toad. An HONEST 11mpg and it is just starting to break in.

Happy trails!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #8

Motorhomes (especially Class A) and fuel economy don't really go well together. However, as has been mentioned, the best way to get a little extra milage is to slow down. Also, try to anticipate ahead as best as you can, especially when in town. If you see a red light ahead, start to coast down your speed. When leaving a red light, don't try to floor it.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #9

Averaging 11.2 on current tank
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #10

The first semi-truck we bought that was computer controlled, we were having power and fuel comsuption issues, so took it back to the dealer. They put the computer on it, and proceeded to show my brother, who was driving it then, how many times he'd over-speeded the engine, how many times he'd lugged it to hard, then proceeded to inform him, the best way to drive that truck was to set the cruise, set back and relax. Well, the fuel milage increased quite a bit, after using the cruise we saved 10-15 gals per trip, (196 mi.) round trip. Consequently, I use my cruise exclusively. I have been averaging 9.6 for the trip to MI.-AZ. Not great maybe, but if your going to worry about fuelmilage, you don't want a MH. That doesn't mean we shouldn't stop trying! LOL!! I have seen 12, and as low as 6.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #11

Man, I'll have to agree with everybody who has said to "slow down." Yup, 55-60 is a good speed to set the cruise control. It's amazing how much poorer MPG is when you compare 55-60 MPH with doing 70-75 MPH under the same conditions. Going a bit slower than 55 will probably give even better MPG but becomes impractical and unsafe going too slow.

In a motorhome, it sometimes isn't practical to not "floor it" as these things are slow to take off. Sometimes you have to floor it to get up to speed like when merging into traffic from an on-ramp. From a safety sandpoint, you'll want to get your speed up when entering traffic as you'll want to do so as fluently as possible. I floor it on almost every on ramp with disregard for MPG. In town taking off from a light, I agree, you don't have to floor it and you'll want to drive as if there was an egg on the accelerator treadle.

-harry
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I average 7.5 to 8.3 mpg depending on the terrain.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #13

8 to 10 mile per gal on my V10 30Ft HR and I only drive about 67/68 MPH....Depends on how smooth you are on the go pedal...........Now 6/7 if I cross that 70 MPH........

Mike
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wagen View Post
Which class As get the best mileage and/or anyway to increase an existing?

Mahalo.
In general, smaller and lighter get better mileage than larger. Diesels get better mileage, in general, than gas, but fuel is more per gallon and maintenance costs are higher. We have a 35' front engine diesel and typically get 10.5 to 11 mpg. As others have said, if you want better mileage, drive slower and smarter.