Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Entegra is not owned by Thor ... it is owned by Jayco.
Your right, my bad. Jayco is a better company too. Senior moment I guess. lol

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT View Post
If the dealer in KY you are referring to is Youngblood RV in Mayfield, I can attest that they treated us extremely well on our recent Anthem purchase. We had been RVing for years, beginning with a pop-up, a couple of pull behinds, and two fifth wheels. Finally decided to take the plunge on a diesel pusher. Roger Youngblood made us a great deal on a new end of model year 2014 Anthem, and took our fifth wheel and 3500 Ram on trade. It was a 6 hours trip for us from MS, but well worth it. Could not be happier with the Anthem. Only issue we've had is with the high speed wiper not functioning, which both Entegra and Spartan helping me through that small annoyance.
Good luck with your search.

Yep, Youngblood in Mayfield. I also have family in Mayfield and my youngest is at Murray State. There was a saleswoman there from Youngblood. She seemed very nice, so going there if I buy an Anthem is a good possibility.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #31

As for power, I am a Cummins guy all the way. I am an owner of an ad agency that was started by a Cummins employee and they have been a client for 48 years. I have spent the last 24 years of my career promoting Cummins and have had the pleasure of doing a lot of aesthetic design on their engines color, naming, valve cover design, badging, ECM covers, etc. They are a great company and have been a super client. I would love to be a Cummins customer after years as a supplier. If I buy a Ram and a coach with a Cummins Onan generator, I could actually own 3 Cummins engines.

The 9 liter ISL is a great engine, but I would love to have a 15 liter ISX. Mostly though, the ISX is offered on coaches like the Cornerstone which are rather pricey. I do think Tiffin's Allegro Bus can be ordered with either the ISL or ISX.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
The new Allegro Bus is now available with the new FL chassis and the 500 Cummins.
Obviously, it an upgrade from the powerglide and the ISL. OP I would select the floor plan that fits your needs and budget. Most 400K to 250k coaches are all pretty much on the same quality level. Some better fitted, some a bit higher in QC. All have issues! Don't let the new vs used mantra influence your decision. The bugs are never worked out for any coach, their complicated houses on wheels that travel down the road in hurricane force winds! They leak, stuff gets in dire need of repair etc. etc. a leaky roof from six Cornerstones is not in my opinion a reason to be alarmed. Read the owners forums and remember all manufacturers have a lemon on the line and out the door at some point in the manufacturing year. Right now I'd probably go with Entegra Anthem because of the two year warranty, Newmar DS because of the one year warranty, or American Coach's new Aligance or Allegro Bus with the FL and 500 Cummins. All these fit into the 400k and under bracket. Best of luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #33

If I may add to the previous good advice:

1. Manobloc water system. If you have a water leak you can turn off just what's leaking, not the whole coach.

2. Transmission retarder. Beats pac brake, exhaust & engine brake. Extends the life of your brakes.

3. Placement of the airbags on the air suspension. The further out from the frame, or outboard, the better the stability. Hop a curb when you test drive and see how much sway or rocking you get.

4. Aqua-hot or Hydro-hot system, heats your water, your coach and the engine. Plus your engine heats the water so when you get to your destination your water is already up to temp.

5. Over all quality.....don't be afraid the buy the best, you'll never be unhappy with it.

These items are on some of the pricier coaches but if you are considering buying used they are a big plus (IMO). Get on line and read up on the above items and it may help a little in your decision. As "they" say, take your time and pick the last coach you ever buy.....first. Good luck.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Hey Porsche, WE have a National T-330. Great floor plan for the Wife,Dog and me. Sometimes the kids. We love it! I have purchased a couple of rigs used and have been very happy. We have taken our time and waited for the right one. A lot of cool upgrades are already done and all the warrantied work has been done. My friends that have bought new have to send them back a few times to get them right. Also the old owner takes the "hit" on depreciation! This is a great place for info. Enjoy the search and welcome to the forum!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #35

Right now the only company that allows heavy customizing is Newmar.

Custom cabinets

You can pick the outside colors

Interior colors (including counter tops)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #36

Class A MH

I have owned 5 Class A MH's over the years- Pace Arrow, Vogue, Fleetwood, Winnebago and our current ride, Newmar.

Everyone is different and have different likes/dislikes. Without question, our current 4011 Newmar DSDP is by far and away the best coach we have owned.

I have a couple of "self inflicted" rules I follow when purchasing a MH:

1. Always buy used.
2. Never buy from any kind of dealer.
3. Whenever possible, buy from the original owner that knows the maint history and has maint records.
4. Always buy a coach with full body paint.
5. Always buy a coach that has been stored inside when not on the road and be prepared to store it inside when purchased.
6. Find a coach that I can pay cash for or don't buy it.
7. Be very sure the layout is OK with your wife!!!

Our 40' Newmar is 10 years old with 30K miles and drives like a new one. It satisified all the rules above and cost less than $80K. I believe these things
should be enjoyed but should not be a financial burden. If you are like we are, you'll drive it around 5K miles per year and you will find it sitting still and not being used much of the time.

If money is no object, you will have many more choices than we have. The above is purley my opinion with no warranty expressed or implied!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
If I may add to the previous good advice:

1. Manobloc water system. If you have a water leak you can turn off just what's leaking, not the whole coach.

2. Transmission retarder. Beats pac brake, exhaust & engine brake. Extends the life of your brakes.

3. Placement of the airbags on the air suspension. The further out from the frame, or outboard, the better the stability. Hop a curb when you test drive and see how much sway or rocking you get.

4. Aqua-hot or Hydro-hot system, heats your water, your coach and the engine. Plus your engine heats the water so when you get to your destination your water is already up to temp.

5. Over all quality.....don't be afraid the buy the best, you'll never be unhappy with it.

These items are on some of the pricier coaches but if you are considering buying used they are a big plus (IMO). Get on line and read up on the above items and it may help a little in your decision. As "they" say, take your time and pick the last coach you ever buy.....first. Good luck.
ecurb74:

I concur with most of your post. However, would you please expand your reasoning in item 2 why a transmission retarder is better than an engine brake (aka Jake brake)?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #38

FWIW I will give you a different view. I will never be a full timer so to me the MH is a cabin in the woods or wherever I park it. I want a solid unit with a layout that works. I don't want to spend money on embellishments like solid surface counter tops or designer fixtures when I can get simpler one's that cost less to install and less to repair when they break. The more complex the system the more it costs to purchase and the more ways one can end up dumping money down the rat hole when it breaks. If you look at things in that light it broadens your choices considerably.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
A third on Gary's input.

Suggest:

-Pick you budget range
-Keep kicking the tires, and more important, walking in sitting down for awhile in as many coaches as you can. (With slides out, and with slides in.)
-Both of you come up with a list of Must Have's and Nice to Have's.
-Narrow the search down to the manufacturers and models that seem to hit your lists the best.
-Decide on new, or used. (If used, add two other budget related items into your planning: 1) Baseline maintenance catch-up, and 'making it your's' changes. 2) Emergency contingency fund. (Do this fund even with new, but larger if used.)

Some great values on used coaches, and for the same budget price, you can move up the food chain in quality.

An opinion I share, and of course everyone is always welcomed to ignore(-!), is to: Drop years to remain within budget, and buy the highest quality coach that you can. Quality lasts.

OK - done with that.

If new, in order of my view of preference (And as you mentioned wanting to do your own maintenance, I assume that you are not going for a mega million big buck ride!):

-Foretravel
-Newmar
-Country Coach (If the new model is available in time.)
-Integra

If buying used:
-Same as above, except more Country Coach models will be available
-Monaco and the Holiday Rambler equivalent, Dynasty on up with the Executive being the sweet spot in the line up.
-Beaver (in later years, crossed over with Monoaco) Patriot of Marquis
-Alpine
-Travel Supreme
-Wanderlodge

Honorable Mention (And few on the used market.):
-Tripple E
-Rexhall (Great bang for the buck, with a very strong steel cage frame.)

Remember the wise words of many posters over the years:
-If Moma is not happy....
-Buy more power then you feel you need (BIG BLOCKS ROCK). You don't lose too much in MPG, if at any, as the engines are not working as hard to do the same job.

And, have fun along this part of the journey!!!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
I had some emails from fell Country Coach owners, asking me on why I slotted CC in below Foretravel and Newmar. So I'd thought I'd explain why.

CC is just starting back up. If the Allure model is available when the OP is shopping, I'd add it to the list to go check out. As I understand this 1st new CC model, it is moderately updated version of their previous designs. Not a bad thing, as CC designed a great series of models. They also had good quality components, and material inside. They will have some, perhaps many, of the old crew back again helping them when they start up manufacturing. All that being said, it will be a new coach, and time will tell if CC is picking up where they left off on the quality of build.

I'm a fan of CC, and sure hope they hit the ground running!

I also like Newmar's willingness to make modifications and allow the buyer to choose so many items in their building of a coach for them. I know when we were shopping, that the Mountain Aire was what we were comparing to other coaches. Sure enjoyed seeing the uniqueness of how different owners tweaked their Newmar's. I also see the Comfort Drive as a bonus.

The OP has mentioned quite a variety of coaches and different levels of quality. He's been given several responses on things to consider. And with a three year window, he and the DW have time to go check out several more coaches. Like myself, a few others posters have suggested buying used. I like that because you can get a much higher quality coach while remaining within budget. But, many really want to buy new. And that is OK. I'm a firm believer on spending money where and how you want to!

My apology for miss spelling Entegra in my thread... Had the Acura Integra for my daughter a few years back!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #40

Best Motorcoach Brands?

MDMcL,

Instead of "better" I should have said "effecient". "Better" is in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1426009563.258887.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  34.0 KB

I've driven motorhome with an exhaust brake and the Transmission retarder but admit I have not used a jake(Jacobs). With the 6 position joystick on the retarder you can control your rate of descent at lower RPMs. I rarely use my service brakes until the last few yards at a stop sign or light. I've traveled up and down mountain passes in Colorado and never had to touch the brake. You do have to watch the trans temp but so far it's been no problem. Have a good day.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #41

Lots of good suggestions. New is attractive from a latest styling and features standpoint, but then with cars, I never buy new, so the same philosophy should apply. Get a slightly used top-of-the-line model for the price of a new middle line model.

I suppose I should get used to the idea of having problems to fix. I'm a bit spoiled by cars that have been extremely reliable, but I realize cars are much simpler.

I have looked at some Newmar coaches and they look pretty good.

By the way, what exactly is "full body paint?"
Old 03-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the way, what exactly is "full body paint?"

Its when the entire coach is painted, rather than having decals applied over the fiberglass exterior. In a full body paint, there would be a primary color, then additional colors painted for the graphics. No decals to shrink and crack. Its an expensive option, but well worth it especially when dealing with an older coach.
jt

harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote