Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #57
Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
IMHO, Newmar, Integra and Tiffin and in that order. I owned 2 Winnebagos and I'm not impress white there stuff that was built in the last 5 years. Nothing wrong in particular just too plasticy. Newmar and Integra are almost the same although now owned by Thor Inc. Newmar and Tiffin are family owned and I think that really is a plus. Also if your buying new Newmar is very good at making changes (minor that is) if you order from the factory. County Coach is a great rig but it is an orphan (no offense to the CC owners out there) I purchased my first DP last year and I do all my own maintaince so I've had to come up to speed. My last 2 were gas. It's been fun. I love challenges (real gear head and love wrenching and troubleshooting stuff) and the members at IRV2 have been a wealth of info and help. I would also suggest you buy used. Say 2 to 3 years old. You avoid the drive off depreciation that is huge on a new rig, less in sales taxes and the PO will have worked out most of the bugs already that usually come with any new rig. Good luck and happy hunting.

Craig: Your wrong. Country Coach is not an orphan. The Country Coach factory in Junction City, Oregon is open and they provide full service and repairs there not to mention supplying parts for all models of Country Coach including my old my 2000 Country Coach Magna. I just had my MH there for repairs to the entrance door hinge and I was very pleased with their service.

Tim Sullivan, 2000 Country Coach Magna, C10 Cat with 2015 Toyota Prius toad.
TimSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #58
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Porscheville, I'll provide some perspective as a new To RVing Tiffin owner, and car guy that I expect you'll follow but others will probably shake their heads.

Is a Porsche better than a Ferrari, Aston, or Lambo? What about a GT-R?

Would your rather have a new 991S or an 8 year old F430 for the same price?

There are reliability/quality/dealership/service horror stories that become legend, but most people are generally happy with what they have in the RV world just as with cars. Even within the same manufacturer - IMS/RMSs get a lot of attention on 987/997/996/986s, but people seem to forget that the beloved 993 can have valve and secondary air passage issues that can cost $12k plus to fix; Water cooled GT3s and Turbos blow out their coolant pipes and dump coolant all over the rear tires that costs $5k, and then there is the center lock hub fiasco.. And let's not forget the $8k clutch jobs on 430s at 6,000 miles. I think you get where I am.....

Used / new is the most unusual debate I have seen in the RV World. The technology and interior styling of coaches have changed dramatically from my perspective in the last few years. I had looked at used 996s off and on from 2004-2006, hooped into a new 2007 Cayman in Nov. 2006 , and a week later had a new "left over"2006 CaymanS in my garage I just sold that was a great car.that saw DEs, autoX, etc. without a glitch. There was just no comparison between a 996 and the 987 in so many ways, and I didn't car that it wasn't a 911........

As with our new Tiffin - we knew what we liked and wanted, and even the few 2013 models we saw did not fit our desires, at least enough to make the price difference compelling vs. new, special,ordered just like we wanted.

Great post. I like the "fit our desires part" because to me, at this stage of life, it's time to quit dreaming and start doing what I want, when I want. With the wife's permission of course. *cough*

I have a CaymanS and frankly, think it is a much better looking body, and better driver than a 911. It also has been extremely reliable as my daily driver for seven years. Back to coaches.

As for Foretravel, I haven't spent much time looking at coaches that are $800,000.....for me, it is just hard to justify spending that much cash for anything. Yes, I like nice things, but at what point is enough enough? A new Anthem or Allegro Bus is enough of a dream for me. The look and styling for that price is pretty good on those two models.

PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #59
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the most important issue in purchasing a motorhome is parts, service and a company standing behind their product. I bought a new, out of model year, Coachmen Pathfinder 405FK. Minor maintenance issues on a 45 day Alaska trip, but the ride, quality and power in the cummins exceeded my expectations. Then I was hit by a car last spring causing $29k in damage. It took Coachmen (Forest River) 5 months to get all the parts and panels correct. The dealer would order a cargo door with the VIN and receive one not associated with our coach.
I lost the entire summer of vacation because Coachmen couldn't get the right parts to the dealer. In the end, the dealer had to custom make some of the doors and panels just to get me back on the road and ended up losing money on the repair.
I love my Coachmen but would never buy another one. My wife is after me to get rid of it before we get another ding in it.
USCG Retired
2011 Coachmen Pathfinder 405FK
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
cgflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #60
Tiffin Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thumbs up Best motorhome brands

Our first diesel motorhome is a Tiffin Allegrobus. I have had very few problems and it seems to be very well constructed. I have talked to several Tiffin owners out on the road that swear by them. We are looking to upgrade and have looked at several different brands and none of them seem to hold up as well as Tiffin, so we are looking at staying with Tiffin. Their customer support is also a big plus.
allegro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #61
Monaco Owners Club
Beaver made a fabulous product pre 2009
The Girls & Newman
42' 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder
cfyanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
Craig: Your wrong. Country Coach is not an orphan. The Country Coach factory in Junction City, Oregon is open and they provide full service and repairs there not to mention supplying parts for all models of Country Coach including my old my 2000 Country Coach Magna. I just had my MH there for repairs to the entrance door hinge and I was very pleased with their service.
Tim like I said, did mean to offend the CC owner here but Country Coach it just starting back up and as of today there is still no dealer service centers yet. In the future yes. If you live in the mid-west, southeast or east coast Junction City is a long way to go the get factory service. Still great coaches. One of the best on the road.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #63
A poster in another thread talks about a $400k lemon with over 100 major problems like a loss of power (including steering) while going down the road at 70 mph. No gauges. Nothing. And seats that came loose because they were attached with wood screws instead of bolts. But oddly, though asked, hasn't said who the OEM is. I'm trying to get information about which brands are made well and it would be nice to avoid such a horror story.

I have lived through one lemon horror story, having once bought a new 1995 Ford Windstar minivan. It was a true lemon with every problem you can imagine....engine, transmission, electrical, you name it. Blown head gaskets. 3 times at $2,000 a pop. Transmission started slipping at 25,000 miles but miraculously, the dealer always said "it didn't happen we we drove it!" My children were embarrassed when they had to push it because we had no reverse gear. Transmission went out completely at 52,000 miles and the Ford dealer said "Sorry, your warranty expired at 50k." The first time the head gaskets blew, I knew there was a design flaw and I asked Ford if they were willing to help with the cost to keep me as a customer. They said no. That was after they kept the van for two weeks. I towed the van away fuming and vowed to never buy a Ford product again and I never will. A few weeks later they had a recall for the head gasket design flaw and had to end up paying me $1700 anyway. They knew there was a design flaw but wouldn't admit it until forced to. I could have forgiven Ford for making the worst car ever built, but not for the way they treated me. They are dead to me. And I will badmouth them every chance I get.

So yeah, I'd like to know if there are coach builders doing shoddy work so I don't relive that nightmare on a much more expensive scale and at a time in life I when I want to enjoy myself. I understand that coaches are complex and will have leaks, fit and finish issues and issues with appliances like we have at home. But that is a lot different from what the aforementioned poster was describing.
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #64
iRV2 No Limits Club
If we could have found a Newmar in our price range we'd still own one. Found a 2007 London Aire in FL that I would have liked for $400,000 but they sold it before the DW was onboard with getting a newer rig. About an hour AFTER we signed the paperwork to buy the Magna the DW got a look at a new Dutch Star 4375 and fell in love that floor plan. Would have been cheaper to pay $5,000 to get out of the Magna contract and get the 4375 in retrospect!
I haven't quite cried over trading the '02 Dutch Star in but I sure have over the blown engine in the Magna!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:35 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mr D.
Of course I'm sorry you have such a bad start on your Magna. My hope is your issues will not be extremely costly. Your coach is a fine piece of equipment and a quality build. Best wishes on the ISX and see you on the road.
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #66
Porscheville, 99.9% of the recent motorhomes are sitting on a Ford Chassis since about 2007... so if you vow not to buy Ford then your looking at a diesel for sure... Saying that... They all have problems either Engine.Chassis or the coach to some extent or another. It seems like if you buy one you need to be ready to deal with the issues that come up.... Some Small, Some large... it's a crap shoot it seems.. Some folks level of pain is higher than others where missing screws sets one person off where another goes down buys a bag of screws and replaces them.

I have had 2 Motorhomes in the Past a 1997 Lazy Daze 22.5' and my wife loved it, and she still gets mad thinking of the idea I wanted to move up to a larger coach, bought a 30' (yes, 30') DP and it was the MH from Hell! Finally got rid of it.... some folks out there that have bought that brand swear by them.... some have had the same kind of issuse I had.

Right now the industry is booming, so, the manufacturers are building these things as quickly as they can, adding floor space and shifts to try to catch up and make money while they can.. Some slip thru with a few issues some come through with more..... it seems like you just have to deal with it... fact is it is a man made product that is put together with parts like a puzzle, some are better at it than others..

The on going theme seems to be, "They Will Fix IT Under Warranty" just take it back to the manufacture (because most dealers don't have the skill to fix it) there are stories of folks spending weeks and months trying to get their rig fixed and it is amazing how many people take that with a grain of salt..

In looking at Used you really don't know the history of what has been done and who had done it... just like a used car, they shine it up to look new and drive it off the lot and it dies... you just can't know that from the day you bought it...

It seems to me that there are a handful of manufacturers out there that have better reliability than others.. You have a choice Freightliner or Spartan on the chassis side.. Like Ford or Chevy they build the engine and transmission and running gears... some never have a problem and some do! Take your pick! I have also explored "Used" and fact is every major brand at some time or another has more issues in one year or another... they seem to show up here.

Finally the newer the coach the more electronics are put on, the higher the price coach the more Bling is put in and that Bling has a chance to fail... just as does the Engine, Transmission and Coach!

I get a kick out of walking thru a campground and talking to Tiffin owners (since we live in Tennessee were not that far from them).. but the number of owners that say they have spent weeks at the factory getting their warranty work done... things that the dealer can fix... or, they don't trust the dealer to work on them... we recently went to a show, walked thru 3 tiffins and all of them had visual flaws.. cabinets out of line, seats that were not working correctly and other issues.. the answer from the dealer was is that Tiffin will fix it under warranty... So the story is, you become their quality control point..

I'm not picking on Tiffin, unfortunately there are a lot of brands that take the same look at quality control.. you find it, we fix it as long as it's in the first year or you have spent thousands of dollars for an extend warranty.

To have any one person tell you which brand to buy is a bit difficult because most folks like their motorhome and are willing to put up with a few issues from time to time.. Yep, there are going to be some that are a real disaster.. and have lots of issues.. Just hope it isn't you!

All you can do is do a lot of reading here and other sites about what folks are saying.. (Most will spend the time to complain, the folks that don't have a problem seem to just travel down the road and keep quiet). You start to get a feeling of which manufacture treats quality as a issue and which ones have great customer service and they all show up on this forum. its just a lot of reading, looking and Luck that ends up to be how happy you are on what you buy..

Excuse the rant.. but it is just the way it is...
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #67
I might be alone here...but my 3 best options are the Newmar, Fleetwood and Tiffin.
I was in that position looking for the best rig out there. I spent months looking at dealerships, rv shows etc...
I liked the newmar very much but the 400k price was a little too much for not full time rving.
I ended up getting the fleetwood expedition. It was a better option for me above the allegro. Just my opinion.
I will advise to take a serious look at the fleetwood.
It was not on my list until I recently saw it. Very impressive rig.
You can't go wrong with either to be honest.
placerjav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #68
Originally Posted by LDMcL View Post

I concur with most of your post. However, would you please expand your reasoning in item 2 why a transmission retarder is better than an engine brake (aka Jake brake)?

the inclusion of a trans retarder eliminates 90 plus percentage of prospective rv's

a jake is at max 40% effective in removing hp. three position max.

my retarder is 80% effective.

other than my foretravel I do not know of another brand to offer one?

the well intentioned references to floorplans is a normal first thought.

after thirty years on and off high line motorhome sales management most manufacturers would hope you concentrate on that.

I could go on for pages here as how they make the coach itself is the key.

my advise to any prospective buyer is to walk the roof of any prospective coach. excellent universal reference to the coaches quality.

most do not have ladders anymore. why? you won't like what you see or feel normally.

entegra cornerstone I looked at at the cummins dealer appeared to be very highly optioned.

I lose interest when I find a brand uses fiberglass batten in the walls and floors. or bolts the floor structure directly to a flexing chassis rail.

aluminum lower compartment doors conduct cold readily into any basement. tankage freezes. most won't go into winter. that's different from can't.

weigh any prospective coach and compare the axle and tire capacity to the actual weights.

the real fun one is to weigh left to right. a large difference in side to side is not a big deal on the superslab interstate highway system.

ah on a rolling road one side goes down faster than the other. same shocks on both sides. different weights.

as coaches get older any frame coach has a bundle of hoses and tubes that are tightly bundled inside one side of the frame.

non accessible.

prevost, newell, foretravel and country coach have a run area under the floor so when the coaches get older you can access the hoses and electrical wiring for updating and replacement.

oh well. I am so used to the older quality coaches I am not a buyer for most new ones.

paint get hot and delaminates the skins. how to fix them? loose mount them to start with. ugh. known as hung walls. all the older highlines were painted light colors if at all and universally had vacuum bonded walls with fiberglass skins. less heat gain. less gen run time. quieter camping.

better dry camping.

the proliferation of new rvs has filled a lot of campgrounds up.

we rarely hook up our coach. versus parked side by side in a rv park. some like the social life. we like nature instead. spread out campsites.

my two cents after rving in a hundred different expensive rvs long ago.

would never sell out u320 unihome. m11 cummins, retarder, air disk brakes, aqua hot. way under your budget. perfectly balanced. no truck sway at all. huge storage bays and internal cabinets.

structure and the engineering first the the fabrics and floorplans. maybe.
1997 40' U320 Foretravel Unicoach mid entry.
Caflashbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #69
Porscheville - If you expect Porsche component level quality in a new motorhome in the range of 250,000 - $400,000 I will be very surprised if you will be able to find it. Only a few makers put the components of that level in their products. Old car nut mentioned most of them.

You should be very careful of bling vs long term durable components. Last week I camped next to a close RV friend of mine who bought a brand new class A a year ago that is one of the best selling in the USA and by one of the makers on your short list. His imitation leather upholstery is pealing back on all of the wear areas on all of his coach furniture. He is shocked. It looked very good when he bought the coach, but now after 12,000 miles needs to all be replaced. On the other hand our coaches 12 1/2 year old thick leather upholstery with 122,000 miles on it is in beautiful condition with zero separating seams, rips, or tears. One of his other comments a week ago was, "Why does your 12 1/2 years old paint look better than my 1 years old paint?" He stores is motor home inside and mine lives outside. The reason for that is simple. Our coach came with Yacht paint made in Holland with a thick clear coat over it. His did not.

My point, do careful research. When I shopped for a used coach 5 1/2 years ago I bought the RVCG information which does a good job of rating coach performance and quality.

Old car nut left out two well made coaches (in my opinion) American Coach and Travel Supreme. American Coach is still in business and Travel Supreme was bought out by Entegra.

Country Coach will begin showing a new coach at their factory in Junction City Oregon this June. I don't know the price level.

After you get your information from the RVCG or your own careful research you will likely make some changes to some of your short list.

Beware of bling that will not last.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #70
Curious to see the claim a Jake brake is 40% effective. My Cat engine sheet tells me it has 350 hp driving, and braking hp is 320--a bit more than 40%!

USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote