Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #1

Best Motorcoach Brands?

3 years from retirement and I've been looking online at various Class A coaches and getting serious about it. Lately though, I've read some forum horror stories and thought I'd join and start getting some thoughts from owners about coach brands they think highly of and about buying new vs. used.

Coaches I'm thinking about are Tiffin Allegro Bus, Entregra Anthem, Thor Tuscany. (I read on an Entegra forum about a leaking roof on a new Cornerstone and now I'm nervous.) I have three years, want to learn as much as I can and listen to folks who know and are not trying to sell me a coach.

All opinions on what you'd buy are welcome.
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

My Opinion:
Prevost!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #3

That is a very subjective question. There are several manufacturers out there that produce a very good quality product. I will mention a few off the top of my head (I'm a short guy so this is a short list).
Tiffin
The old Monaco (before Allied)
Newmar
American Coach
Country Coach
Entegra
Travel Supreme

Then you have the bus conversions;
Prevost
Newell
Old 03-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #4

I'm going to have to rule out Prevost and Newell on price. I suppose a price range would help. I'd say what I've seen and like is in the $250 to $400k range. Yep, pretty subjective stuff I know, but sometimes if enough people say the same bad things about a brand there is probably something to it. I'm also learning that a lot of coach makers are out of biz or have been bought and the old ones (like Monaco) were better.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't rule out Winnebago. They make coaches in many price ranges and seem to not have many unhappy customers. They are the largest RV manufacturer in the world.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #6

Another vote for best being a Prevost/other OTR bus conversion however don't discount Tiffin. We've been happy with our Allegro Bus (Its been in the family since early January 1997) and has only been back to red bay two times during its lifetime
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheVille View Post
I'm going to have to rule out Prevost and Newell on price. I suppose a price range would help. I'd say what I've seen and like is in the $250 to $400k range. Yep, pretty subjective stuff I know, but sometimes if enough people say the same bad things about a brand there is probably something to it. I'm also learning that a lot of coach makers are out of biz or have been bought and the old ones (like Monaco) were better.
As a previous HR owner and a former member of there club I wouldn't say they are better than anyone else. This is truly just a opinion question answered by opinionated owners by there manufacturer. Generally the more the cost the better the rig and more things to go wrong. Three things I think are important are the roof and the chassis then the floor plan.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #8

The new Winnebago seem to have numerous problems with there extensions.
Pre own Prevost, Newell ans Fortravel require good money for operating them like BM and Mercedes cars.
Dan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #9

First things first.... you say your 3 years to retirement.. but you didn't mention if your goal is to go full time or not.. That is an important question. If your using it for several trips a year, some extended stay and other shorter trips there is a large range of great coaches... I've done quite a bit or reading and Newmar keeps coming up on our radar as to the one to buy... seems just like a real solid coach with a great reputation... but each their own..

So, perhaps you might clarify if your going to use it full time (in other words move in to it and sell your house)...
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi PorscheVille,
The top three things to consider are:
1. floor plan
2. Will the coach carry you, all your stuff and people/pets? GVWR minus UVW = CCC or NCC depending on brand.
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow: GCWR minus GVWR = the weight you can tow. The coach receiver weight rating must also be checked.

After that, one can make the decision as complicated as one wants to make it. New or used, is total personal preference. If new and current model year, 28% discount off MSRP is the range you will pay. If the purchase is end of model year or a left over from previous model year then 33% discount off MSRP is a range of what you will pay.

For now:
1. attend RV shows
2. look at floor plans, features and amenities (take pictures and make notes)
3. If buying new, will the builder customize to your specs (Newmar is the most liberal in the price range mentioned earlier).
4. Can one take the coach to the manufacturer for service? If so where is the manufacturer located?

There is more to do, but not until you are closer to purchase. Good luck, the fun begins now.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I love it when this question comes up. There are as many answers as there are brands.

Some say it's the one you have or the one you can afford to get.

If you can afford them, Newell, Marathon & Prevost are widely considered top tier. No disputing it.

From my perspective and in no particular order and some are only available 2nd hand:

Newmar, Monaco, Country Coach, Beaver, Holiday Rambler, Foretravel 2nd tier

Not dissing on any of the others, as I said, from my view.

Passing out the popcorn
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #12

Davidki, good question .... I'm not looking at full time. I'd just like to travel and see a lot of North America before I get too old. When I was young, I camped a lot....now, I have no interest in the "roughing it" part. I like driving. I like seeing sights. And I'm looking forward to traveling to bowl games, tail gating, taking the grand kids on short trips, etc....when I retire and don't have a career that demands so much of my time.

The coach I'm currently lusting after most is the Tiffin Allegro Bus 45UP. It is an unusual floor plan in that the full bath is forward of the bedroom and there is a half bath in the back. We have an adult child that will travel with us and that floor plan will keep him out of our bedroom.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Check out the Itasca Meridian. We love our 36M floor plan and quality!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #14

Best Motorcoach Brands?

I've been reading, looking, taking test drives, for the last 3 years and waiting for this housing market to improve so that I can sell the stick, brick and mortar house and go full time, and in all of it, it has come to two units that I would consider. One would be Newmar Ventana (3635) or Meridian (36M) one of my considerations is, I need a unit that I can do must of the service and maintenance so those units still are simple enough that I feel I can tackle just about anything that needs trouble shooting. I guess it comes to personal preference. DW wants a King bed, she is small 5'-3" and I am a 6'-8" mexican ( yes they had to waste two to make one my size) so theres no compromise on that, I like the gas stove, love the comfort drive, in all my searching I feel that Newmar builds a great coach, you get into the larger fancier units and when trouble arises you must take it in to fix it. Make a list of the must haves and the other creature comforts that you want, and then go from there.
Ancabuild is offline   Reply With Quote