Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Best Motorhome?

What do most people consider the best motorhome to purchase (new and used), with regards to reliability, safety and ease of use? I'm kind of leaning towards Monaco but haven't really researched the others.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club

We like Newmar.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Size of your wallet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
What do most people consider the best motorhome to purchase (new and used), with regards to reliability, safety and ease of use? I'm kind of leaning towards Monaco but haven't really researched the others.
Like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for". And all of them will have trouble from time to time. If money was not a factor it would be a Newell or Prevost would be at the top of the list for the question you asked
Old 08-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I like Country Coach, Newmar and Tiffin. You will get dozens of different opinions on this question. My advice attend a few RV shows and test a bunch. Look them over and decide which you like best.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
'Best' is so subjective. It all depends on who you are, what your budget is, and what you expect to do with your RV. For instance, someone with kids would not be happy in an RV with only one bed. Someone who rides ATVS might want a toy hauler and be unhappy with a travel trailer.

Someone on a tight budget is looking for bang for the buck, and would not consider a new Prevost, whereas someone with zillion dollar budget might be underwhelmed with a 2000 model 45 ft diesel pusher.

Give us an idea of who you are, your budget, and your ideal RV adventure, and readers will better be able to answer your questions.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
All MH mfgrs use RV suppliers for almost all aspects of the MH except the body. So it boils down to the quality of that aspect and the quality of the interior parts they decide to use. The RV systems are all supplied by others and are pretty much identical across the board.

Where the reliability comes in is at the factory putting everything together and of course after sale support and dealer service.

All the mfgrs still in business today make good coaches. There are mfgrs out of business that made super fine coaches, National is one, which I own.

You will get plenty of various opinions and you should listen. However, you can always get a lemon (plenty of stories about that on here) and it can be a roll of the dice. Personally, I would never buy new. The value just driving off the lot is huge. Then you have the bugs to get worked out unless you get extremely lucky. Buying a 1-3 year old coach will usually eliminate all that.

The main factor is getting something you can live in and the price you are willing to pay. You must like the floor plan, which is the main part. Then amenities and overall appearence and quality of the interior is also important.

I know this isn't what you were asking, but I thought a totally unbiased opinion may be helpful. Good luck in your search!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #7

The best RV I could find had to be one that pleased the wife and met all her desires. She likes her showers in the morning, she wanted the easiest driving RV, she wanted a king size bed, tile floors no carpet, bath and a half, didn't want to worry about power conservation, hot water needs, she wanted bla bla bla....

I started out looking at an Entrega and by the time she had her say we're looking at a Newell with Easy Steer and a turning tag axle.. You can get both those things in the new Essex by Newmar but she wanted safety and liked the idea of metal skin and over built chassis. So be it, can't be happy on the road without her being happy.
Just hope I can get a chunk of my money back when we decide to sell it.
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
The one that is paid off!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
The one that is paid off!
And then what do you do with your money?
No payments in ones life is a dream..........everynow and then with a payment a dream comes true
Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
And then what do you do with your money?
No payments in ones life is a dream..........everynow and then with a payment a dream comes true
Wow I'm glad I'm 62 before I heard that. Had a hard enough time with "Hard to put a price on a good time."
Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is no such thing. EVERY manufacturer has issues. I met a guy who had a Marathon Prevost he bought brand new (close to 2M) and he told me he was ready to drive it through the front window of Marathon as he had so many issues. It did look real nice though.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #12

Newell , prevost
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
That is a tough question it depends on you're needs and budget. I see people buying an RV and expect life to be perfect, well it is a machine and they do break. It really doesn't matter if its new or used that can all have problems and that is part of the lifestyle, boats and airplanes have problems too.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPULSE DRIVEN View Post
I see people buying an RV and expect life to be perfect, well it is a machine and they do break. It really doesn't matter if its new or used that can all have problems and that is part of the lifestyle, boats and airplanes have problems too.
In our circle of friends, the worst RV experience we've seen was with a Newell.

The Prevost owners seem devoted to their rigs, old and new.

[There is an RV for everyone, failure rates between brands don't vary nearly as much as people think.]
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome