RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Best Motorhomes

I often see folks list Tiffin, Newmar and Entegra as the top motorhomes for service and quality. What are the reasons that Winnebago isn't included with these brands?

jlazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlazar View Post
I often see folks list Tiffin, Newmar and Entegra as the top motorhomes for service and quality. What are the reasons that Winnebago isn't included with these brands?

Elitism may be a factor. Newmar has earned its reputation as a,quality builder over many years. Winnebago has always given a lot of bang for the buck.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I equate it to my favorite quote:
Quote:
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.
-Margaret Thatcher
Winnebago & those that own them know where it stands.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlazar View Post
I'll take a stab at your question.
In a word... snob appeal, which is better Ford/Chevy/Chrysler/Mercedes or Rolls?
Or.. there are those individuals who are not looking for the biggest "bang for the Buck",
IE: They just want the highest quality components and build.

Thor/Winnebago/Forrest River an a few others are perceived as "entry level" coaches. IE: top of line under 250/$350k) give or take

Tiffin/Newmar/Monaco & others are perceived as "mid Level" coaches.
IE: top of line $350 to $500k more or less

The "top Dawgs" so to speak would be Prevost/Newell/Foretravel.
(These are limited production numbers produced in a given year.)

By using the best/highest quality (not to be confused with the lowest bid suppliers) the initial build component costs will be "elevated" to say the least.
IE: retail $ spread from $700k and up..... There are coaches that are over $2+ million....

The more costly the coach is, the higher the profit margins are,therefor... the more willing most mfg's are to go the service/warranty distance ....insuring that the customer is happy and will return to buy another coach from them...or at a minimum will recommend their coaches to others that are willing to pay the price.

Hope this helps....
The more complex the coach ... the higher the maintenance costs
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We looked at all of them prior to purchasing our Tour. They (in the price range we wanted to spend) were all very similar when viewed on the dealers lot. The Tour had the features and floorplan that suited our needs and wants the best.

So far the quality, service and dealer have met or exceeded or expectations.

If we purchase a new unit in the future we will look at them all but seriously consider WGO again.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I don't know that I'd consider a $450k Grand Tour or $400k Tuscany "entry level". If that's the case, my Bounder must have been an Odd Lots purchase.

Lori-

P.S. Of the well-known branded names still in business, I think only Fleetwood (1950) has been in business longer than Winnebago (1958)
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I don't know that I'd consider a $450k Grand Tour or $400k Tuscany "entry level". If that's the case, my Bounder must have been an Odd Lots purchase.

Lori-

P.S. Of the well-known branded names still in business, I think only Fleetwood (1950) has been in business longer than Winnebago (1958)

But Fleetwood and the brands it owned are now owned by a conglomerate, REV. I think Winnebago is still independent as is Newmar and Tiffin. I think those three are the only ones left (excluding the extreme upper level coaches Prevost, Newell and Foretravel) that weathered the last recession of 2008 -10 or so.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #8

So there is best quality, best service, best value and best price. For gassers I think Newmar is one if not top of the line for quality and service. For diesels well that's another thing. I am guessing Provost or Newell someone will have to validate this one. But I am very happy with my Newmar. Took me all he way to Cali for Nj and is hopefully will take me back before this Xmas.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Which is best?

The one you get and are happy with from day one that gives you the least problems.
Going into our 2013 Tiffin 36LA gasser's 4th year has hit all the marks for us.
We are just as pleased with it now as the day we bought it. See no reason to change whatsoever.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #10

Not that this discussion is within my pay grade but, of the Diesel brands mentioned by Vanslam, only Newell and Foretravel sell complete motorhomes/coaches. Prevost Car Inc, owned by Volvo Bus Corporation, sells an empty shell and completed motorhomes are provided by a convertor who completes the interior and sells the result under their brand name. Here's the Prevost list of convertors: https://www.prevostcar.com/motorhome/locate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
So there is best quality, best service, best value and best price. For gassers I think Newmar is one if not top of the line for quality and service. For diesels well that's another thing. I am guessing Provost or Newell someone will have to validate this one. But I am very happy with my Newmar. Took me all he way to Cali for Nj and is hopefully will take me back before this Xmas.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post

Tiffin/Newmar/Monaco & others are perceived as "mid Level" coaches.
IE: top of line $350 to $500k more or less
Newmar King Airs go for close to or over $900,000 now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Just my opinion here.
We are in the process of selecting what out next coach will be.
We saw some nice floor plans in the Winnebago line. After doing the research on the models and the years of slide problems, it just didn't make sense for us. I am sure some owners are very happy with theirs, that's for sure.
Newmar has had some issues with their new full wall slide, but over all, in my opinion, just flat builds a quality coach.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #13

Are you asking about the highest quality? Most expensive? Likely to last the longest? Some other criteria? There are a large number of issues the people will rank as most important.

My list would start with Bluebird Wanderlodge, Prevost, Country Coach, Foretravel and Newell, due solely to starting with a bus-like integrated frame and chassis and not just a chassis, but it would be based on structural integrity and durability.

But that may not matter a lot in the RV world to many people. A typical 10 year old MH has less than 50,000 miles, so a better list might be one that would perform for 50,000 miles or 10 years and be affordable.

Lots of approaches, it just depends on what is important to you.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:54 AM   #14
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Just my opinion here.
We are in the process of selecting what out next coach will be.
We saw some nice floor plans in the Winnebago line. After doing the research on the models and the years of slide problems, it just didn't make sense for us. I am sure some owners are very happy with theirs, that's for sure.
Newmar has had some issues with their new full wall slide, but over all, in my opinion, just flat builds a quality coach.
X2!

dp7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes