Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
That's is great mpg's for towing , I hope i can get close to that
I will be cruising between 60 and 65 mph

You can see what they are posting over here: Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum - iRV2 Forums

2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
I'm always jealous to see everyone claim they're getting 8+ mpg! I've tried about everything and honestly, if I sniff 6 mpg I'm happy. when I budget I actually estimate 5 or 5.5 mpg to play it safe. That said, I'm towing every pound of a 5k pound jeep wrangler unlimited that is loaded down with all the extras. I'm also running the genny almost all the time to keep the coach cool for the family in the Texas heat, and so the kids can watch TV (We don't have an inverter). I find the biggest factor for me is really the wind or lack thereof, whichever is the case. I also know I have a heavy foot. If conditions and speed limits allow, I'll drive 70mph and I know that takes a big chunk out of the mpg. It's all a trade off. I can say that I've done trips driving 60mph with no genny and not seen any better mpg. It kills me to track it, but I continue to do so as I don't rely on my fuel gauge once it drops below 1/4 tank. I've driven a solid 40+ miles when the needle was on "E" and when I filled up, I still had 7 or so gallons in there. I don't like pushing it to the limit, but it's always good to know what you really got left!

RESharp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RESharp - Sounds like the 29' class C I had with a 460. 5.5 - 6 mpg and didn't seem to matter what I did or if I was towing or not.

After we got our 34' class A, with a V10, I was a bit worried. I soon found out even with all that extra weight, it got 1.5 mpg better operating it the same way. After adding a Scangauge, I added another .5 mpg. Didn't take long to see the huge difference that wind speed and direction can make as well as that right foot.

Like you, fuel expense never affected our travel plans, but I do like to monitor it. The Scangauge actually keeps me entertained on those long boring stretches
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #18
I would note that I'm riding with a Blue Ox TruCenter stabalizer up front, and a Blue Ox Tiger Trak in back. That really makes the ride a lot nicer and relaxing as I'm not getting beat around by the wind or 18-wheeler's except in very extreme conditions, but the flip side of that is it allows me to travel a little faster than before and still be very comfortable behind the wheel.

We just got back from our Fort Worth to Colorado trip. When we pulled into Amarillo I filled up for $3.19/gallon and was like "great, cheap gas!" 'DOH! I'm glad most of our trips are shorter distances to state parks rather than cross country. It makes the pain a little easier to swallow.
RESharp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
I have a 38' 08 W22 Workhorse pulling a Wrangler. On flat ground going by in dash computer on flat ground going 65 its 8.5 strong head winds 5.5 MPG.
Mody n Domy
full timing it
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
39' Winnebago Adventurer, W24 Workhorse, 8.1L Vortec

Ave 5.6 MPG
Max 7.5 MPG
2246 total miles
No toad.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #21
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
2004 Seabreeze - f-53 -v10 - 22k chassis - toad

As noted above, my set-up gets between high 6's to high 7's. Latest trip, towing toad, Chevy Malibu, loaded with 4 passengers and equip, some small mountains, hilly terrain and some flats, overall trip average was 7.3 MPG, that was running between 58-62 where possible some climbs just below 50. Not too bad.

Average over past 5,000 miles is 7.6 MPG.

Low trip was 6.7 MPG (was in hurry)

I have run into people in campgrounds that I talk to and claim near 10. I find that hard, very hard, to believe. Unless that trip was a down hill run to destination!
Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
An honest estimate is between 6 and 7.5 mpg. Anything over that in a full time loaded towing a toad is wishful thinking in a gas motorhome of any size.
Roy & Sabine Lyons
98 Itasca 35' Class A Gas with Banks Powerpack
98 Honda CRV Toad
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
I have a scan gauge II. I adjusted my mph to match my speed on my GPS. I average 8.3 towing a HHR. Without towing I average 9.6. My scan gauge and gps are matched to the interstate mile markers. I also have the 5 star tune and free flow muffler. Before the tune I would drop down to 3.5 on small hills. Now I only drop to 5.5. Myu totsl weight is 20, 253lbs
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
04 Workhorse W-22 38 ft. We average 7.8 overall. Almost always with the toad. I've found that cruise control at 58 if not real hilly. It is amazing the impact of head winds, can knock it back to 6.5. And a tail wind I can see 10 mpg. What is surprising to me is the difference between a nice smooth road vs. a real rough road. I would never have thought that could effect it but it does.
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I get 99.999 going down from the top of the Hump (mountain pass) just outside Port Alberni.

The only problem is the -6.6 I get going up to get to the top.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
I drive slow, so I get 9.42 mpg on my 32' Ford V10, recorded over 10,000 miles.
Stan Birch
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32T Ford V-10
Stan.Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
Evergreen Owners Club
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
I drive slow, so I get 9.42 mpg on my 32' Ford V10, recorded over 10,000 miles.
How slow ?
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
I have a batman winch on the front of my motorhome. I just latch onto a semi and go where he goes. Usually see around 68 MPG with A/C on. Hills and his speed don't seem to affect it much.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, gas