Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
Count yourselves lucky. My 1988 pace arrow 28 footer now gets 3 MPG flat with generator running.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
How slow ?
I like to take secondary roads, and drive at around 50 mph. On interstates I keep it at around 55 mph. My mpg calculations were based on a trip to Alaska.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grltaz View Post
Count yourselves lucky. My 1988 pace arrow 28 footer now gets 3 MPG flat with generator running.
Wow. I would have to say you have a motor problem. Unless you drive 90mph or tow a semi trailer . You certainly have my sympathy!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
I also have the 5 star tune and free flow muffler. Before the tune I would drop down to 3.5 on small hills. Now I only drop to 5.5. Myu totsl weight is 20, 253lbs
Can you expand a little on the 5 star tune. I did a quick search for it but can you clarify. Is this a product that you plug in like a super chip, or simply a service where you went to a location and had someone manually tweak the tuning of your rig? How much does something like that run? I presume that it's been worth the cost with the improved results. Also, did you install a new muffler? Was it out of need or just an effort to to improve things?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #33

RSHarp001
The 5star tune is loaded through your OBII connector. It changes the settings in your ECM. You load the new settings yourself. When you go to load the new settings the scanner down loads your current settings and then loads your new settings. You can return to your original settings anytime you need to. After loading your new flash you disconnect the scanner. I get updates at times that are free. I paid $395.00 for it 4 years ago. We travel from Jacksonville,Fl, to Biloxi, Ms and before I got tuner my scan gauge would drop down to 3.5 mpg. On the same hills my scan gauge only goes down to 5.5 after I put the new settings in. I use the cruise control and let the computer decide what gear I need to be in. I changed my muffler to have a more free flow for the exhaust. I have not put headers on it.You can email Mike 5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services or call him at 843-667-3595. He will gladly answer any questions you have and he does not try to pressure you into buying the tune. There at 3 different tunes that you can buy. I have the general tune which works for me. Mike can tell you what tune would be best for you by what you tell him you want to do.

Bob
Old 07-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
RSHarp001
The 5star tune is loaded through your OBII connector. It changes the settings in your ECM. You load the new settings yourself. When you go to load the new settings the scanner down loads your current settings and then loads your new settings. You can return to your original settings anytime you need to. After loading your new flash you disconnect the scanner. I get updates at times that are free. I paid $395.00 for it 4 years ago. We travel from Jacksonville,Fl, to Biloxi, Ms and before I got tuner my scan gauge would drop down to 3.5 mpg. On the same hills my scan gauge only goes down to 5.5 after I put the new settings in. I use the cruise control and let the computer decide what gear I need to be in. I changed my muffler to have a more free flow for the exhaust. I have not put headers on it.You can email Mike 5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services or call him at 843-667-3595. He will gladly answer any questions you have and he does not try to pressure you into buying the tune. There at 3 different tunes that you can buy. I have the general tune which works for me. Mike can tell you what tune would be best for you by what you tell him you want to do.
Thanks. That's interesting as I had never really thought about or ran across anyone tuning a MH. I mean, it makes a lot of sense given the quantity of fuel we run through. We've put 8500 miles on our current coach in 16 months. If I squeaked even 1 extra mpg out of it over that time i could have saved 238 gallons of fuel or in today's terms, $833 which clearly offsets the cost of tuning. Now that said, maybe I should just slow the heck down and travel lighter which would cost me nothing!

None the less, it's an interesting idea that you brought to light. I might have to seriously consider that at some point.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 35ft 8.1 Ltr GM and get between 7.5 -8.5 miles per imp gallon.

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
My p32 8.1 Chev has gotten around 10 mpg since new. I have the same motor as the W22s but not the weight. Less weight = more usable power. The w22s are helped by the Allison trans and 22.5 tires but not enough to compensate for the weight. Also, I am a firm believer in letting your motor decide how fast to run. There is a sweet spot in every gear. Happy motor = happy gas mileage.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESharp001 View Post
Thanks. That's interesting as I had never really thought about or ran across anyone tuning a MH. I mean, it makes a lot of sense given the quantity of fuel we run through. We've put 8500 miles on our current coach in 16 months. If I squeaked even 1 extra mpg out of it over that time i could have saved 238 gallons of fuel or in today's terms, $833 which clearly offsets the cost of tuning. Now that said, maybe I should just slow the heck down and travel lighter which would cost me nothing!

None the less, it's an interesting idea that you brought to light. I might have to seriously consider that at some point.
Keep in mind that he said it improved the MPG going up small hills. This is due to the programmers calibration to not downshift up those small hills. A gas engine programmer overall does not improve gas mileage. These engine run lean anyways to help with emissions. Any leaner, it could be fatal to the engine. So you may see a slight improvement on small hills due to not downshifting, but really not over all.

A lot of the better MPG is due to the driver trying to squeak every MPG out of it "looking" for better mileage due to their purchase. I have talked to guys that say a K&N air filter improved their mileage. That is impossible on a fuel injected vehicle because of the O2 sensors and the throttle is only open 30%. The factory air filter is designed for maximum air flow at 100% throttle opening. There is less restriction at WOT but not when cruising. After talking to the people, it is easy to deduct that they "changed" their driving habits. That is free.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Leaving Mount Rushmore last year my Scan Gauge showed me doing 999 MPG, but most of the time around 7.5 mpg.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #39

Wow, these are some low numbers. We've always gotten double digits with our V10. 10mpg is the norm if its kept at 55-60....and plan your hills out, get a running start. Best mileage calculated was 14mpg with a tail wind. Never towed with it. It has the power upgrades, exhaust, fresh air kit etc though, which helps. Costs about $20 an hour to run. Most 4x4 trucks struggle to get that.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #40

update: went down to the bottom of Maine. We some pretty heavy winds and rain the entire way down and back (10hrs total), but even after boogying down the road at 70-75mph, we averaged over 10mpg!! Gas is so much cheaper in the US too I noticed! From empty, it cost me almost $100 less to fill!!
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
update: went down to the bottom of Maine. We some pretty heavy winds and rain the entire way down and back (10hrs total), but even after boogying down the road at 70-75mph, we averaged over 10mpg!! Gas is so much cheaper in the US too I noticed! From empty, it cost me almost $100 less to fill!!
US or Imperial MPG?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know some one told me they had a Itasca Windcruiser with a 460 Ford and it did very well. He said the windcruiser was built to be very aerodynamic and low (no basement storage)

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas