Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
dezolen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 490
Fuel consumption

Comparing what my motorhome uses considering the total weight over my Honda CRV it gets better fuel economy pound for pound.
__________________

__________________
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA OPEN ROAD
2012 Honda CRV AWD toad
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Comparing what my motorhome uses considering the total weight over my Honda CRV it gets better fuel economy pound for pound.
+1 If I drive my truck like I normally drive it, it only gives me a couple more miles than the coach. The truck probably weighs 1/3 of what the coach weighs.
__________________

__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I generally cruise at 60mph and get around 8mpg.
Ditto
__________________
Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #74
Junior Member
 
Cappy58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 29
I have a 1985 Winnabago Elandan 31" I got 13 mpg when I first bought it. I changed the differential, tranny and engine oils all to synthetics and replaced the gas float style carb with a holly fuel injected model and went over everything on this 454 engine and now I get just over 15 MPG. I was not happy with 15 MPG till I read all the posts before this saying 7-11MPG so I guess 15 MPG is good then. My next step will be to install an overdrive on this RV. I have read post about doing this and I know it will probably not help a lot on MPG but it will decrease engine RPMs at cruise speeds. Right now the RPMs seem high at 55MPH and I keep looking to make sure I am in "drive" and not in 2nd.
__________________
Cappy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:50 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
tedgard01's Avatar


 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 3,009
I drive until I have 1/2 tank or less, I fill up and do it all over again... Sometimes I go further before filling up, sometime not quite as far... No worries, as long as the money is available... I don't buy a new car just because I get less MPG than my son that drives a Smart Car.... I am not going to buy a new RV if someone else gets better MPG than me either...
__________________
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy58 View Post
I have a 1985 Winnabago Elandan 31" I got 13 mpg when I first bought it. I changed the differential, tranny and engine oils all to synthetics and replaced the gas float style carb with a holly fuel injected model and went over everything on this 454 engine and now I get just over 15 MPG. I was not happy with 15 MPG till I read all the posts before this saying 7-11MPG so I guess 15 MPG is good then. My next step will be to install an overdrive on this RV. I have read post about doing this and I know it will probably not help a lot on MPG but it will decrease engine RPMs at cruise speeds. Right now the RPMs seem high at 55MPH and I keep looking to make sure I am in "drive" and not in 2nd.
How is it than an older carbureted RV gets nearly double MPGs of the newer fuel injected ones? Really confused!!!
__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I drive until I have 1/2 tank or less, I fill up and do it all over again... Sometimes I go further before filling up, sometime not quite as far... No worries, as long as the money is available... I don't buy a new car just because I get less MPG than my son that drives a Smart Car.... I am not going to buy a new RV if someone else gets better MPG than me either...
IMO, it's not about getting rid of your RV because of MPGs. We are lucky enough to be able to afford high fuel costs to be able to enjoy our traveling. However, I would always look out for the gas station with lower prices and try not to be wasteful. More MPGs simply mean not giving more money than you have to, to the oil mafia.
__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
How is it than an older carbureted RV gets nearly double MPGs of the newer fuel injected ones? Really confused!!!
The fuel / air mixture can be much finer in a good carburetor which results in more efficient combustion. Modern high pressure direct injection systems are helping a lot though.
__________________
1998 Bounder 36s V10 F53
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:55 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
The fuel / air mixture can be much finer in a good carburetor which results in more efficient combustion.
I have to disagree. EFI has superior cylinder-to-cylinder fuel distribution. Not only that, but a computer is constantly monitoring the fuel/air mixture for optimal performance. You can fine tune a carb and get a perfect mixture across all bands...you take it up or down a thousand feet and it's out of whack.

The only thing I can think of is that the older model MHs were made lighter all around and doubling MPGs. Either that or the odometers are not calibrated.
__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #80
Senior Member
 
Daveinet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 361
I would be willing to bet money there is no way he is getting 15 mpg. While his coach is much smaller and lighter, there is still no way. My coach is lighter and lower profile, and even with the carborated 454 the best it ever got was 10. Over all, it did worse than the MPFI 502. Some that are driving 50 mph are getting close to 12, but even that is a stretch. You may see one tankful that may be optimistic, but as an over all long term average, there is no way. When comparable coaches are not getting even close to 10 or 11, then something is wrong with the calculation. That or you are talking imperial gallons.
__________________
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 294
[QUOTE=al2ride;1917029][QUOTE=ohhwell;1917017]The fuel / air mixture can be much finer in a good carburetor which results in more efficient combustion.
Quote:

I have to disagree. EFI has superior cylinder-to-cylinder fuel distribution. Not only that, but a computer is constantly monitoring the fuel/air mixture for optimal performance. You can fine tune a carb and get a perfect mixture across all bands...you take it up or down a thousand feet and it's out of whack.

The only thing I can think of is that the older model MHs were made lighter all around and doubling MPGs. Either that or the odometers are not calibrated.
Well, yeah. you are right about that. I was thinking about a controlled situation like the track. Obviously fuel injection has many benefits including massive environmental tolerances. Warming the car up on a cool day is something you don't see much anymore either.

I was just thinking as well that perhaps the older coaches may weigh a lot less. They also appear to much more aerodynamic in the front. The modern flat front bus design maximizes interior room but it sure hurts fuel efficiency on the highway.
__________________
1998 Bounder 36s V10 F53
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #82
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
I was just thinking as well that perhaps the older coaches may weigh a lot less. They also appear to much more aerodynamic in the front. The modern flat front bus design maximizes interior room but it sure hurts fuel efficiency on the highway.
Good point. Haven't seen a Class A that isn't flat nosed.
__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
tedgard01's Avatar


 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
IMO, it's not about getting rid of your RV because of MPGs. We are lucky enough to be able to afford high fuel costs to be able to enjoy our traveling. However, I would always look out for the gas station with lower prices and try not to be wasteful. More MPGs simply mean not giving more money than you have to, to the oil mafia.
Wait a minute, I never once said that I did not look for the best fuel price, nor did I say that I don't try or drive to get better fuel economy, nor did I say that I am not concerned about being frugal.

I just don't try to make my focus as to what my MPG is the deciding factor as to which RV I own or a determining factor in my plan to drive my RV or not to drive it.

Anyone that drives an RV is not too concerned about being wasteful. An RV is inherently wasteful by the nature of the beast. If we did not want to be wasteful, we would buy a small S&B with a bit of land to grow our own food.
__________________
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Wait a minute, I never once said that I did not look for the best fuel price, nor did I say that I don't try or drive to get better fuel economy, nor did I say that I am not concerned about being frugal.

I just don't try to make my focus as to what my MPG is the deciding factor as to which RV I own or a determining factor in my plan to drive my RV or not to drive it.

Anyone that drives an RV is not too concerned about being wasteful. An RV is inherently wasteful by the nature of the beast. If we did not want to be wasteful, we would buy a small S&B with a bit of land to grow our own food.
I don't look for the cheapest price on gas. I look at my fuel gauge and the layout of the pumps at the gas station. When my fuel gauge tells me it's time to start looking, I do. When I see a gas station that I can get in and out of pretty well, I gas up. I am not rich by any means either, I just don't see saving maybe 2 or 3 bucks to be worth hunting for the best price when on the road.
__________________

__________________
1998 Bounder 36s V10 F53
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
class a, gas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.