Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #85

2007 Itasca 34ft v10. 6-7 towing a Honda crv. Move to a 41 ft DP towing same car 8-9
We try not to think about fuel cost just this is the life we love.

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #86

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
I don't look for the cheapest price on gas. I look at my fuel gauge and the layout of the pumps at the gas station. When my fuel gauge tells me it's time to start looking, I do. When I see a gas station that I can get in and out of pretty well, I gas up. I am not rich by any means either, I just don't see saving maybe 2 or 3 bucks to be worth hunting for the best price when on the road.
I understand. For me, it is a little different. I plan my stops along the rout before I start. I usually chose my stations that I will stop at then, and look at the ingress and egress using a satellite view and/or ground view, if available. I know where I will stop, what my plan is for getting to the pumps and out before ever leaving on that leg of my travel.

In regard to my choice of stations, I am very happy I have a gasser, because I always save .40 to .60 per gallon over diesel. I can also simply go to where I normally get gas for my car versus having to look for a diesel pump. My choices are usually;

1) I always look for a Costco first. I have never had any issue with ingress or egress, and always find good quality gas at lower prices.

2) Sams Club is a good second option, but not a first choice.

3) Flying J

4) Other, if necessary.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I understand. For me, it is a little different. I plan my stops along the rout before I start. I usually chose my stations that I will stop at then, and look at the ingress and egress using a satellite view and/or ground view, if available. I know where I will stop, what my plan is for getting to the pumps and out before ever leaving on that leg of my travel.

In regard to my choice of stations, I am very happy I have a gasser, because I always save .40 to .60 per gallon over diesel. I can also simply go to where I normally get gas for my car versus having to look for a diesel pump. My choices are usually;

1) I always look for a Costco first. I have never had any issue with ingress or egress, and always find good quality gas at lower prices.

2) Sams Club is a good second option, but not a first choice.

3) Flying J

4) Other, if necessary.
You know, I am of a similar mindset as far as planning out before a trip. My wife unfortunately would never let me live it down if she caught me looking up satellite views of gas stations and calculating fuel stops... She thinks I am OCD for planning my errands so as to have as many stops on the right side of the road as possible.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #88

All you guys are doing much better than us lucky Ontario residents where gas is over $5.00 a gallon and I still am lucky to get 8 mpg.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
All you guys are doing much better than us lucky Ontario residents where gas is over $5.00 a gallon and I still am lucky to get 8 mpg.
Apparently, the older coaches get much better MPGs.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
But you done been McGinty'd like no other place.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy58 View Post
I have a 1985 Winnabago Elandan 31" I got 13 mpg when I first bought it. I changed the differential, tranny and engine oils all to synthetics and replaced the gas float style carb with a holly fuel injected model and went over everything on this 454 engine and now I get just over 15 MPG. I was not happy with 15 MPG till I read all the posts before this saying 7-11MPG so I guess 15 MPG is good then. My next step will be to install an overdrive on this RV. I have read post about doing this and I know it will probably not help a lot on MPG but it will decrease engine RPMs at cruise speeds. Right now the RPMs seem high at 55MPH and I keep looking to make sure I am in "drive" and not in 2nd.

How is it than an older carbureted RV gets nearly double MPGs of the newer fuel injected ones? Really confused!!!

The winnabago Elandan body style was aerodynamically designed by NASA as an experiment and is all fiberglass. It is not the typical "breadbox"(no disrespect intended) that most motorhomes are styled after. The front end is sloped and the rear is designed to drasticly decrease the "suction" of air that "holds" back the motorhome as it slices through the wind going down the highway.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I almost bought an Oldsmobile powered front wheel drive unit that was supposed to get fabulous mileage but my wife couldn't get around the ugly of it (her words) so we looked elsewhere.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #93

All up and down hills towing small 4x4 on trailer or car on dolly=7 plus. One short trip on the flats towing same was 10.

55-60 mostly.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #94

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to lie to get 9 in my 2003 Winnebego, but now that I have a 2014 Forrest River FR3, I'm thinking I will up my game to 11.
Mandoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #95

Quote:
Quote:
I have a 1985 Winnabago Elandan 31" I got 13 mpg when I first bought it. I changed the differential, tranny and engine oils all to synthetics and replaced the gas float style carb with a holly fuel injected model and went over everything on this 454 engine and now I get just over 15 MPG. I was not happy with 15 MPG till I read all the posts before this saying 7-11MPG so I guess 15 MPG is good then. My next step will be to install an overdrive on this RV. I have read post about doing this and I know it will probably not help a lot on MPG but it will decrease engine RPMs at cruise speeds. Right now the RPMs seem high at 55MPH and I keep looking to make sure I am in "drive" and not in 2nd.

How is it than an older carbureted RV gets nearly double MPGs of the newer fuel injected ones? Really confused!!!

The winnabago Elandan body style was aerodynamically designed by NASA as an experiment and is all fiberglass. It is not the typical "breadbox"(no disrespect intended) that most motorhomes are styled after. The front end is sloped and the rear is designed to drasticly decrease the "suction" of air that "holds" back the motorhome as it slices through the wind going down the highway.
All I can say is that you must have one lucky coach Cappy. I can understand the aerodynamic factor, but your coach is doubling the MPGs others are getting. Good deal!

1985 Winnebago Chieftain estimated mpg
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
All I can say is that you must have one lucky coach Cappy. I can understand the aerodynamic factor, but your coach is doubling the MPGs others are getting. Good deal!

His model, the Elandan is designed for aerodynamics as he stated, the chieftain is not as much. I have seen other people report in the 9-11 mpg range on the Elandan. Cappy's still seems a bit high but apparently, they did a lot right with the design on that thing. My guess is that like many other things, the advantages were not enough to sell like hotcakes to the general public and that is why we are back to massive blunt nosed breadboxes getting 7-8mpg.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #97

Quote:

A buddy of mine has an older unit like that. Also with a 3 speed auto and a carbed 454. He was claiming higher than expected MPG's till we found out his speedometer/odometer was off.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #98

Quote:
Agree. It could also be that my coach is much heavier than yours. It's all fiberglass and nothing inside was built with weight reduction in mind. I need to get the coach weighed.

Weight plays a part. With that said, mine weighs in at over 20k lbs w/2 slides. My little Jayco Class C weighed just 11,000lbs, and got less MPGs (10mpg at best). I know with MHs, it's not all about fuel econ...but it does help, because if for no other reason, having to make more stops at the gas station.

In Canada, we pay like twice what the US does for fuel (US prices are high too, but still). Whenever I fill up in the US, I'm usually laughing and grinning madly at the pump while other ppl look at me like I'm crazy, as they curse their "high" prices.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas