Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Weight plays a part. With that said, mine weighs in at over 20k lbs w/2 slides. My little Jayco Class C weighed just 11,000lbs, and got less MPGs (10mpg at best). I know with MHs, it's not all about fuel econ...but it does help, because if for no other reason, having to make more stops at the gas station.

In Canada, we pay like twice what the US does for fuel (US prices are high too, but still). Whenever I fill up in the US, I'm usually laughing and grinning madly at the pump while other ppl look at me like I'm crazy, as they curse their "high" prices.
Canada must be like Europe in gas prices. Cheapest I've ever paid for gas was when I was in Saudi which basically considered a utility. Now, here is something that I don't understand and it bugs the crap out of me. Here in OH prices vary from pump to pump and sometimes in double digits. When we went to Maui, every gas station had the exact same price. I don't know much about politics or mumbo jumbo, but I believe gas should be considered a necessity such as water, electricity and should be governed. Maybe back in the 60s it was a luxury, but nowadays you are dead in the water without a vehicle...I know, I know, some cities have a great transportation system, but most don't.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #100

If you get 9 mpg and somehow boost it to 10, at $3.50/gallon and 5000 miles, you would gain/save less than 200 bucks. If you "bought" the 1mpg with a kit (et al) the payback time must be interesting.

I do not focus on mpg. The horizon is much more pleasant.

(Post #100) ;-)

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #101

"Canada must be like Europe in gas prices. Cheapest I've ever paid for gas was when I was in Saudi which basically considered a utility. Now, here is something that I don't understand and it bugs the crap out of me. Here in OH prices vary from pump to pump and sometimes in double digits. When we went to Maui, every gas station had the exact same price. I don't know much about politics or mumbo jumbo, but I believe gas should be considered a necessity such as water, electricity and should be governed. Maybe back in the 60s it was a luxury, but nowadays you are dead in the water without a vehicle...I know, I know, some cities have a great transportation system, but most don't."

Not trying to turn this into a political debate...but.
I live in Mass (for another 2wks). Our electricity rate is "goverened". It's also the highest in the nation, last time I checked.
Something that becomes "governed" usually means it gets destroyed, mismanaged, or is seen as a new source of tax revenue, or ALL of the above.
Prices vary because costs very, and note, PROFIT is a cost. So if I can sell my gas for $.10 a gallon cheaper than you can, because I have less labor, less overhead, less insurance, less COST, then I should be free to do just that.
Also, if I can sell it for $.10 MORE per gallon, for whatever reason, and still make the amount of money I need to in order to run my business, then I should be free to do just that as well.

If you really want the price of gas to come down...stop voting for the people that help drive it up. And yes...it really is a supply vs. demand issue.

Jim
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #102

Lobstah, it likely is regulated. Friend of a relative owned a farm co-op in Wisconsin. There were grain elevators, a small farm store, and gas station. Because most of his overhead was paid for by the other services, he was able to sell his gas cheap. BP was watching his station, counted the number of days his price was lower than the local average and filed a suit, claiming he was trying put other stations out of business, because the price was too close to his cost. PB won, and the little co-op was taken over by PB. Regulation is never what it appears to be on the surface.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #103

I had a Winnebago Adventurer 37f with a banks system and averaged 9-10 MPG plus it hauled Butt and I went 75 MPH on those freeways that had that speed limit
Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
"Canada must be like Europe in gas prices. Cheapest I've ever paid for gas was when I was in Saudi which basically considered a utility. Now, here is something that I don't understand and it bugs the crap out of me. Here in OH prices vary from pump to pump and sometimes in double digits. When we went to Maui, every gas station had the exact same price. I don't know much about politics or mumbo jumbo, but I believe gas should be considered a necessity such as water, electricity and should be governed. Maybe back in the 60s it was a luxury, but nowadays you are dead in the water without a vehicle...I know, I know, some cities have a great transportation system, but most don't."

Not trying to turn this into a political debate...but.
I live in Mass (for another 2wks). Our electricity rate is "goverened". It's also the highest in the nation, last time I checked.
Something that becomes "governed" usually means it gets destroyed, mismanaged, or is seen as a new source of tax revenue, or ALL of the above.
Prices vary because costs very, and note, PROFIT is a cost. So if I can sell my gas for $.10 a gallon cheaper than you can, because I have less labor, less overhead, less insurance, less COST, then I should be free to do just that.
Also, if I can sell it for $.10 MORE per gallon, for whatever reason, and still make the amount of money I need to in order to run my business, then I should be free to do just that as well.

If you really want the price of gas to come down...stop voting for the people that help drive it up. And yes...it really is a supply vs. demand issue.

Jim
It's kind of weird here. Unlike in parts of the UK (where cars are more of a luxury), we drive our cars, and depend on them every bit as much as in the US, and most people have at least 1, but yet we pay crazy prices. Now, unlike the US, no political party has any intention of bringing lower gas prices to the people. In 20yrs, that issue has not come up. We've had changes in gov't, but no change in the steady rise in pump prices. If anything, they have all said that we need to move away from our dependence on oil.

Years ago, they established an independent non-partisan (apparently) regulatory board that regulates pump prices in each region. Their job was to set a maximum price fuel could be sold at. While it seemed like a good idea, we never enjoyed the fair lower prices they promised. And it's not the gas-bar owners that are getting reach. They don't make all that much off fuel sales.

Who is getting rich are the fuel companies, who are posting record profits, despite record high fuel prices. Figure that one out

I follow politics as much as the next guy, and even tried to get involved a couple times, but I can honestly say that it isn't going to change any time soon, and voting for the other party isn't going to change it. I realize that's the wrong attitude, but it's the reality. What's really funny though is older folks used to say that fuel is always cheapest in the areas where oil is collected and where it's refined and distributed. Well, in Western Canada, where they get the oil out of the ground, fuel prices are the highest. Here, in eastern Canada, home to the biggest oil refinery and distribution centers in the nation, fuel prices are pretty much second highest.... despite the oil company basically being given a massive chunk of our land and infrastructure for pennies on the dollar, and gov't grants in the billions. They own 90% of our privately owned forest (because that oil company also has the largest lumber company in the nation), they own churches, schools, arenas, the newspapers, etc etc. Yep, it's like a coal town, where the company owns everything, but on a larger scale.

But I digress from that rant. I don't like to get political and hold my opinions to myself.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #105

38 MPG
I took the engine from a 1976 vw rabbit 4 cylinder diesel. installed a turbocharger for EACH cylinder, added a motronic computer engine managment system (designed by British Lucas electronics) coupled that with a late model Chrysler 8 speed auto transmission, and installed the entire set up in the rear of the bounder, with acces from under the bed. This set up is connected to the tandem axle. The gas motor up front is still functional and is used to supplement the rear diesel on acceleration and on extreme inclines. As for MPG, combined (diesel engine and gas engine) average is 38 mpg figured on 7,456 miles. Drive 64 mph on interstates.
My ultimate goal is 50 MPG, and with the addition of double thruster side lifter cam blowers I will be installing in two weeks, I fully expect to see 50 MPG!

Please fell free to not call me with any questions as I am sworn to secrecy by CoCo, my doggie, and the other voices I hear in my head.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
38 MPG
I took the engine from a 1976 vw rabbit 4 cylinder diesel. installed a turbocharger for EACH cylinder, added a motronic computer engine managment system (designed by British Lucas electronics) coupled that with a late model Chrysler 8 speed auto transmission, and installed the entire set up in the rear of the bounder, with acces from under the bed. This set up is connected to the tandem axle. The gas motor up front is still functional and is used to supplement the rear diesel on acceleration and on extreme inclines. As for MPG, combined (diesel engine and gas engine) average is 38 mpg figured on 7,456 miles. Drive 64 mph on interstates.
My ultimate goal is 50 MPG, and with the addition of double thruster side lifter cam blowers I will be installing in two weeks, I fully expect to see 50 MPG!

Please fell free to not call me with any questions as I am sworn to secrecy by CoCo, my doggie, and the other voices I hear in my head.
Wow, electronics by "The Prince of Darkness!" I would have never thought of that ploy, good on yuh mate!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #107

"Wow, electronics by "The Prince of Darkness!" I would have never thought of that ploy, good on yuh mate!"

Glad you got the Lucas reference!!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #108

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a little English import that was actually called an Envoy Epic but we quickly turned the name to Epidemic. Heck if it rained 144 miles away in Wawa Ontario that car wouldn't start in the dry hot sunlight in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario.

I could never understand how the ever started in Great Britain.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #109

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used to turn wrenches in a Jag dealership. We had a poster of Peter Lucas that we put a crown on and labeled him the Prince of Darkness. Our Motto: "Home Before Dark!"
Mandoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #110

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
just thought I would start this since I have a new 35 foot class A gasser on order and a new-bee to rv-ing
ford v10 362hp 242 wb 22k chassis

also what speed do you cruise at @ what mpg ?

thank you
mike
I cruise at 50mph and have gotten as much as 9mpg without the toad, but if we're talking cost here and we must be, then a better discussion should be about depreciation per mile and where the big money is. Not trying to deter from the thread too much, but just to make some aware of the real costs of these rigs and buying used vs new in some cases, is like getting free fuel for the life of ownership.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
... but if we're talking cost here and we must be, then a better discussion should be about depreciation per mile and where the big money is...
I would suggest that it is much harder on a coach to sit idle than to be driven regularly. If proper maintenance is always done, the mileage is not the root cause of the problems. I knew a guy who had a Revcon with over 300K on the clock still on the original engine and trans. Only replaced wear parts. The coach would still be on the road, had it not been for a propane leak that blew it up. (he was uninjured for the most part and last I heard was searching, for another Revcon) Anyway sitting in the off seasons introduces rust, dry rot, rotting seals, and electrical issues, significantly increasing the cost of upkeep.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #112

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
I would suggest that it is much harder on a coach to sit idle than to be driven regularly. If proper maintenance is always done, the mileage is not the root cause of the problems. I knew a guy who had a Revcon with over 300K on the clock still on the original engine and trans. Only replaced wear parts. The coach would still be on the road, had it not been for a propane leak that blew it up. (he was uninjured for the most part and last I heard was searching, for another Revcon) Anyway sitting in the off seasons introduces rust, dry rot, rotting seals, and electrical issues, significantly increasing the cost of upkeep.
I thought I basically said that and it's most obvious that the more one is driven, the depreciation per mile will be less, as well. I mean buying a new DP and driving it 100K miles a year would be money well spent, but how many do that?
I've seen them 8yrs old with 15 - 25k miles and money wise, one would have been much better off, buying one that old in the first place. Usually, this money comes with a much nicer and higher end coach, too.
OK, I guess we are most guilty of high jacking the OP's thread at this point and I have already spoken my peace.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas