Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #15

I did the 2x12 treated in 12 " long
I didn't screw them together though because sometimes
I use 2 sometimes 3 depending how level the site is

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Made mine with plywood & rubber. I happen to have a scrap price of 1" plywood laying around so I cut out 10" X 10" and glued 1/4" rubber to one side then ran a few screws in the corners.
I use them rubber side down to protect the wood.

Made similar pads for under my tires for winter storage but used 2 layers of 1/2" (oriented different directions for added strength) with the 1/4" rubber added to the bottom side. Made them 12" X 20" for the rear tires, smaller for the front.

They work great and the rubber protects the wood from the ground moisture.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I didn't come up with the idea!! But I am passing it on.
Thank you for that.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #18

mine have nylon straps on them and the awning rod works perfect for pulling them out from under the coach. saves on dirty knees.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I made mine using 2 x 12 treated wood cut to 11 1/2 x 11 1/2. I bought the same size squares of 1/2" cutting board material from Tap Plastic and sandwiched the wood squares with it. The plastic material keeps the wood from splitting. Total height is 2 1/2" and if the wood ever rots I can replace it. I used a screw eye in the wood that I can use an awning hook on.
After reading the article in Motorhome rag I had a similar idea, only I will buy the cutting board material from IKEA for a buck 50 each. I believe perfect size for 2x12. That project is later this week.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are my homemade Jack Pads. I used a 8' length of 2x10 and cut out 8 boards 12" long. The laminate material are thick Plastic IKEA Cutting boards that I bought for a $1.49 ea. The handles are staggered and open for carrying and using an awning tool to place in position. You can stack them also. I now have 8 jack pads that cost me about $4 dollars each to build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack pad4.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	33058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack pad3.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	33059  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Pad2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	33060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack pads Stacked.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	33061  

Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Been pondering what to use as jack pads and leveling pads and was wondering whether anyone had ever tried sandwiching blue Styrofoam between 3/4" plywood. Not sure if the Styrofoam would have sufficient crush strength but if it did it would make for nice light pads.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Been pondering what to use as jack pads and leveling pads and was wondering whether anyone had ever tried sandwiching blue Styrofoam between 3/4" plywood. Not sure if the Styrofoam would have sufficient crush strength but if it did it would make for nice light pads.
Leveling pads for me are going to be the sliced up recycled tire rubber barn mat from your neighborhood farm supply store. Thanks to a previous poster sharing it above.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
We use two methods. First we have these Camco leveling blocks from Walmart. They make easy to drive on pyramids that get the coach closer to level when the site isn't so level. Tires are sitting directly on them.

After we put these under the wheels we put my homemade jack pads under the jacks for the final leveling. They're simple pads made from 2 layers of un-treated 2x4's running perpendicular to each other screwed together. They have ropes attached for easy carrying and removal.

Most places we camp are pretty level, but where we tailgate for The University of Nevada (Home of SF quarterback Colin Kaepernick) the parking lots have a little slope to them. Wheels would be barely making contact before we started using the Lynx leveling blocks. We'd still be level, just a little more shakey. Now with all 4 axles making contact and the jacks making contact it's a very stable platform.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Here are my homemade Jack Pads. I used a 8' length of 2x10 and cut out 8 boards 12" long. The laminate material are thick Plastic IKEA Cutting boards that I bought for a $1.49 ea. The handles are staggered and open for carrying and using an awning tool to place in position. You can stack them also. I now have 8 jack pads that cost me about $4 dollars each to build.
Wow! those are nice homemade jack pads. There' an Ikea in Sacramento about 130 miles from us. We've gotta head up that way in June for my nieces HS graduation and 18th B-day celebration. I am definately going to the ikea store to see if I can get some of those. Thanks for posting those great pics!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Hmmm....40' Dutch Star. Pretty stout coach. I'm thinking the styrofoam might be ok if jack pads were perfectly centered on plywood. Off by a little and my guess is they'd get squished and no longer be flat.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #26
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Wow! those are nice homemade jack pads. There' an Ikea in Sacramento about 130 miles from us. We've gotta head up that way in June for my nieces HS graduation and 18th B-day celebration. I am definately going to the ikea store to see if I can get some of those. Thanks for posting those great pics!
Same IKEA is about 35 miles south of us. Easy to make, I whipped those out in under an hour once I had my process figured out. I drilled holes through the plastic cutting board for the screws. Then screwed them into the board with two inch deck screws.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #27

Thumbs up Jacking Pads

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I think I'll make a set with those IKEA cutting boards.
Much appreciated.

Tags
jacks, leveling