Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Best paint for metal roof?

What non-silicon paint would you recommend for my metal roof?

I have a metal roof. Overall it is white(ish). I need to "patch paint" a few tree branch scratches that have rusted and some rust that is in the seam where the two sections of the roof meet. In other words, it's not bad enough to paint the whole roof.

I plan on painting just the rusty parts, caulking the seams and Eternabond on the caulked seams, and caulk on the Eternabond seams. =)

Rustoleum flat white spray has silicon in it.. I bought 8 cans after RV guy recommendation and Home Depot said no silicon. Tonight I looked up the spec sheet and it does have it in the Magnesum Silicate ingredient. http://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/7790830.PDF

So that won't work. =)

Hiya! I'm Lorelei and I'm renovating a 1994 Firan Raven for FT living. 24k Miles; Chevy P30 7.4L (Gas) engine. Renovation blog here: http://rvrenovation.wordpress.com
OneSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why the bias against ceramic paint? They do have some beneficial reflective qualities (probably not as much as the hype) but if all you are doing is patching you want something that will bond and stick and prevent rust.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Auto painters almost always will add a bit of silicone to paint to prevent fish eye. Fish eye is caused by silicone being on the surface before being painted and fresh paint without silicone will bead up. Adding a tad of silicone to the new paint allows it to flow over the old surface. You shouldn't be concerned about it, especially on the roof.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In '74 I painted a camper van metal roof with an aluminum roofing paint and it never leaked the six more years I had it.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Hi! Thanks for the discussion! This has been a challenging one for me. =)

With all of the research and reading that I've done for this roof I've accumulated knowledge that had me conclude:

- My roof isn't damaged or leaking - the seams and the roof items are. Which I'm putting new caulk and Eternabond on all of those seams. As for the roof surface there are just some tiny scratches with rust. To do a full elastomeric coating felt like it might be overkill and add a level of maintenance to my roof that I don't have to do with a painted metal roof.

- My roof rounds over the sides of the rig. I wasn't sure how to handle the Elastomeric coating with that curve and vertical roof space.

- The Elastomeric roof coating has some application critical contingencies such as: the entire surface must be super clean, no oil, etc. use this type of product, nothing citrus, don't do it if there's this, it may bubble - don't freak because it will settle, etc. =) I watched a few videos and it looks easy enough, but the not so great stories (too thin, too thick, bubbling, running down the sides, etc.) made me really hesitant to take on this project right now for three main reasons: I have someone else doing the work on the roof while I instruct them; I've never done anything to the roof so I have no knowledge of what's up there, been used on it, etc. so it makes me nervous to apply this without better understanding the base; and I have all of these other things in the renovation that are more critical to us living in it full time than the coating on the roof right now. =)

I just felt as though I was getting into something that required a lot more thought, hands on, and prep than I have time to do right now, but love the idea down the road.

If I've misunderstood something and thus my conclusions are off, please let me know. I'm totally here with an open mind and to learn. =)

This morning I bought some non-silicon paint in a can from Sherwin Williams (I'll add the name/type here later). I have a guy who has a paint machine and he's going to apply it to the roof.

Thanks again for the discussion on this. I'm having a lot of fun with this project, but the challenging part is when there's no one to discuss a plan/thought/solution with for another perspective and feedback. Hubby is working on a huge project right now so he spends his entire day coding while I run around with power tools - so I appreciate all of you more than you know. =)

Hiya! I'm Lorelei and I'm renovating a 1994 Firan Raven for FT living. 24k Miles; Chevy P30 7.4L (Gas) engine. Renovation blog here: http://rvrenovation.wordpress.com
OneSiren is offline   Reply With Quote

paint, roof