Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #15

My class A MH only has 19.5 " tires, but this compressor is available for $109 from Amazon and works great providing 110 psi for my tires.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Christmas is just right around the corner. Lowe's usually has a pancake compressor on their Black Friday sale day for around $50 to $60 dollars.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7361 View Post
Some may think this is over the top but I use this beast:
Makita USA - Tool Details - MAC5200

It can inflate tires in the blink of an eye AND run my 1/2 inch impact wrench with ease. I do 90% of my own mechanic work so it's an amazing tool!
Hey dlduck,

I also recommend the Makita MAC5200. It's a beast! A few months ago I was actively searching for the air compressor which would suit all my needs. After reading about this model on bestaircompressor-review.com, I purchased it straight away. No regrets! Highly recommended.
JenniferCHar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Air compressor

I, also, bought a Sear 6 gal. pancake model, oiless. I Also bought a Sears small air dryer along with a 50' spring loaded take up reel for 3/8" air hose.. Mounted everything in one of my bays against the back wall and have never looked back. 50' of air hose reaches every tire on our 40' motorhome and tow vehicle. I mounted it in the centerline of the coach and can unreel it out from either side of the motorhome bays.
Works for me.. I just got tired of trying to put in 5 lbs of air over a period of 20 minutes with the onboard air compressor mounted to the Cummins engine..
I'm a happy camper now

Byron
04 Newmar Mtn. Aire DP 4016
400 HP Cummins Turbo
08 Jeep Liberty 4X4 Sport
byoslandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
I used a pancake compressor for a long time then bit the bullet and bought a ViAir 400P-RV. More expensive, but does an awesome job, lightweight, quick, and not nearly as noisy as running a portable pancake model or running your diesel engine to use the onboard air. Viair
. I've been extremely pleased with mine! RVGeeks did a great video about using it.
I too got the Viair 400 and love it. Very powerful, easy set up and portable with 50 feet of air hose, uses any standard Pneumatic connector and blow out devices.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
You're going to get a whole gauntlet of answers here so, I'll just throw my two cents in too. Many of us purchased this one for "topping off" tires and, it's a great little compressor. The one I have originally is a Sears unit but, if I'm not mistaken, Porter Cable has taken the design over and ran with it.
Scott

Love this little unit. Stows easy, regulator that I can turn down to 40 PSI for blowing out the lines. I teamed it up with a straight/lock on air chuck. EXCELLENT

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Tradewind98
12Vdc Compressor

I use a Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit that's 12 volts, has long hoses and works at topping off the my tires at 110 psi easily.
2017 Mini Cooper Clubman
Tradewind98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I fill my tires easily to 105 psi using the compressor that runs of my Cummins Diesel engine.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:16 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
as you see everyone has an opinion. I have the Craftsman.. If it ever quits I would buy the Viair.. I to saw it on RV Geeks.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Viair makes some really well made 12 volt compressors/inflators. Many different models to choose from. Small, light weight, powerful. Many of their models have a 100% duty cycle, meaning they can pump forever without overheating!

Attachment 109669
+1 I have the 450 RV so far so good
caninecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
You're going to get a whole gauntlet of answers here so, I'll just throw my two cents in too. Many of us purchased this one for "topping off" tires and, it's a great little compressor. The one I have originally is a Sears unit but, if I'm not mistaken, Porter Cable has taken the design over and ran with it.
Scott

X4

Sears doesn't offer repair parts, Porter-Cable does. The reed valve rusted and broke on my Craftsman so I bought a P-C and repaired the old one then gave it away.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Believe it or not this little guy does a pretty good job of topping off RV tires.

Stanley 'FatMax' 700-Amp Peak Jump Starter with Compressor #J7CS - Walmart.com
After sitting in a park for a few months last winter I needed to top off a couple of tires. Borrowed a Black & Decker unit similar to the one linked above. Worked great, didn't have to plug it in and moves easily as go from tire to tire. Pressure gauge on it was dead on with my tire gauge.
70ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind98 View Post
I use a Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit that's 12 volts, has long hoses and works at topping off the my tires at 110 psi easily.

X2 on this Viair 400P. This compressor is awesome. I have used many small110v portable compressors that take forever to raise a motorhome tire 10 lbs. and I have burned out two in the last year. In my humble opinion, the Viair is every bit as fast and effective as a commercial air compressor. The components are high quality and it is easy to set up and use. It is a bit expensive, but it's the last portable compressor I will have to buy.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Best is relative to your needs.

Though several of the above mentioned compressors are good, they may or may not be right for your needs or more specifically, the requirements for your tires.

In my case, my front tires require 120 PSI which means that anything less than a 150 PSI capable compressor is going to struggle.

This is the unit I chose due to its pressure capacity and its compact size. At only $109 (free shipping) from Amazon I felt it was good value. Not only is it handy for airing up tires but it's also great for blowing out dust after travelling gravel roads and other chores along the way.

I should also mention I purchased a good quality rubber hose that allows me to reach all my tires without moving the compressor out of its storage bay.

Tags
compressor