Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #15

MARATHON...

Wouldn't even consider a diesel, way too many expensive systems to have problems and break. At $1200 a month one major problem could take the rest of your life to repair i'd most definately be in the gas market.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #16

I found THIS and will use it as a possible example of the best of all worlds for me. It is not too huge, not luxurious but like new and very attractive, very low miles - just broke in, lots of storage for a smaller unit, gasoline not diesel, not sure of engine and drive train, with my main complaint is that it is a dealer selling it so don't have the facts about its history and the price is still good yet I am sure high so dealer can make his 10k on it.

Any opinions based on what we have discussed so far: 2001 30' Brave with 26k miles

Not high quality interiors, but nice just the same and I keep things like new always. Am very clean to the point of immaculate. To get something that looks like new for 20-30k would be great. I can upgrade the interior to more luxury anyway I want. Some good quality leather seating, gold accents, and led lighting can go along way to fancying up a place.

My most concern would be structurally, suspension, roof, under belly, potential cracks, leaks, deterioration due to cheapness of the product line. Anything that nice that I can get a good 10 yrs out of would be all I would need. Like I said previously, I have no one to leave it to so after I am done with it, I don't care if it falls apart or not.
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #17

A large older 40' Diesel Pusher can suddenly cost you major $$$ for repairs! For example I have an 02 Dutch Star and on our winter trip this year we have had 2 breakdowns on the Interstate costing about $4500 and I have done very good maintenance thru the years. Last year we spent $12000 on repairs to the engine when I discovered an exhaust leak that snowed balled into other problems. Over the years we have not had any other major problems other than regular maintenance. So as you see major problems can develop and Diesel Pushers are very costly to repair vs other types of rigs. For your budget I suggest you consider a used TT & Truck for the $$$ you want to spend. IMHO. Good Luck!
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #18

As most reasonable people have mentioned, don't go the diesel route with that low of a monthly budget. My advice would be to do what we did since our situation was similar to yours. Instead of blowing your entire initial budget on the coach, understand that any one you buy will likely need repairs and then spend about 20k or so on the coach. I would be looking at something on the F53 chassis with the V10 of course.

You should easily be able to find something from about 99 to 2002 or so from a private seller in that range. The Fleetwoods were well recommended in those years and I believe the Bounders were awarded Best Buy by some publication. From personal experience with ours, I agree. It's no luxury liner but it's very solid and even after all new tires and some various repairs, we still are less than 20k out of pocket total.

Tags
motorhome, quality