Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Best short Queen mattress

In every ones perfect world, what is the best" short queen" on the market?
Price does enter into the discussion
The Toads

Dean & Judy, Peanut the navigator
Big Country 2015 3010 RE
Dodge Ram 2500 w/ Cummings.
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The mattress that came with our new MH as someone else said on a thread "was like sleeping on ball bearings and broken glass" and I couldn't agree more. Have a sleep number bed at home so put one in our MH. Yes they are a bit pricey but I figure I sleep in it about 2 to 3 months a year I want to be comfortable. Plus I like a hard mattress and the DW likes a soft mattress so it works great for us.
If you like your mattress at home see if you can find it in a short queen somewhere.

Herb, Anna and Lil Herb
2013 Winnebago Vista 35B

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
In every ones perfect world, what is the best" short queen" on the market?
Price does enter into the discussion
The Toads
We are pretty happy with our Select Comfort. But before that we added a Memory Foam matter as topper we got from SAMs or Costco. We did need to trim it to size but for the price it worked well.
Dan Leininger
2013 Essex 4547 2010 Ford Explorer 4x4
We are 80% Fulltimers and growing
danleininger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
x2 memory foam mattress and topper cut to fit.
1998 Bounder 36s V10 F53
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
We changed our mattress with a memory foam mattress by Angel Bed. Ordered it online and it was shipped to our house. We have put one in the last two RVs we have had. We love them!
2011 Winnebago Adventurer 35P
Towing a 2014 Jeep Rubicon 4 Door with a Can Am Maverick XRS 1000 SXS behind the Jeep.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
We put a regular memory foam Queen size in our 2005 HR and it will compress some with the slide pulled in, not a problem. I would not live without a memory foam bed......S&B and the MH.....

Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Thom and I have tried the foam, gel and sleep number ..... hated them all. We found what works for us is a Firm Euro Pillow Top. Got our current one from Serta.

My suggestion would be to go and try out all the different types and then decide what works for you.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
TemperPedic for us. Had to cut six inches off the end to make it a "short queen" and used a long bread knife. For us a good nights sleep is worth the price of a true TemperPedic!
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Lostdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a custom mattress made to the exact size I wanted. They had different options like pillow top, soft firm extra firm. They use a cable along the edge so it you can sit on the edge of the bed without a bar poking you. They make the mattress different when it is used without box springs. I was lucky and lived in near this place (Kansas City, Mo.). But you can order on-line.

Hawn Bedding Company | Product Line - Custom-Sized Mattresses
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 120K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Sleep number short queen works well for us.
2006 Gulfstream Friendship G7, Cat C7 and Allison 6 spd
Honda VTX and Crusier Lift on the back
Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy, 2014 Chevy Equinox toad
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
Another vote for memory foam mattress (not just a topper). A good memory foam mattress has really increased the quality of our lives. They are easily cut to fit your shorter dimension.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
We changed our mattress with a memory foam mattress by Angel Bed. Ordered it online and it was shipped to our house. We have put one in the last two RVs we have had. We love them!
FYI, Angelsbeds actually went out of business last year. They use to be one of our big competitors. It's noted on their BBB page found here:

Angelbeds.com Review - MATTRESSES in Jersey Village, TX - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Greater Houston and South Texas
Jonathan Prichard
minsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sleep Number is the ticket. I've had one in 2 MHs and DW and I love it. Spend at least 5 months a year in our MH on the road. Pricey? Yes, but what's a good nights sleep worth?

Craig & Carolyn R.
2006 Newmar Kountry Star 3910 KSDP 2002 Saturn 2002 SL
DD788Snipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
As you can see everybody is different. My last two coaches had sleep numbers, they were ripped out ASAP since both of us couldnít find a sleep number that didnít hurt our backs. My solution came from spending 2 weeks at a friendís beach house. We both had the best nightís sleep on the mattress there so we bought one for our house and now for our RVís. They bonus is they make all sizes including short RV queens.

Will it work for you Ė who knows???? Maybe you will love a sleep number bed.

Good Luck.

Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote