Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #15

One of the reasons we sold our under 30' Class A gasser was the handling issues. It had 19.5" tires which many have contributed to the problem but uneven pavement, wind and trucks sent us onto the shoulders and into the other lanes.

We loved the floor plan and while it wasn't the quality of the Newmar we have now, it was all we really needed in size. We have a 34' DP now with what Newmar calls Comfort Drive and we don't get blown all over the road. We're almost 6' longer in the DP and it has 22.5" tires. I imagine it's a combination of length, weight and tires that help with handling.

If you haven't spent time on the online RV sale sites, you may want to look on them. You can narrow the search down by length and most ads have a pic of the floor plans.

Good luck!

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
One of the reasons we sold our under 30' Class A gasser was the handling issues. It had 19.5" tires which many have contributed to the problem but uneven pavement, wind and trucks sent us onto the shoulders and into the other lanes.

We loved the floor plan and while it wasn't the quality of the Newmar we have now, it was all we really needed in size. We have a 34' DP now with what Newmar calls Comfort Drive and we don't get blown all over the road. We're almost 6' longer in the DP and it has 22.5" tires. I imagine it's a combination of length, weight and tires that help with handling.

If you haven't spent time on the online RV sale sites, you may want to look on them. You can narrow the search down by length and most ads have a pic of the floor plans.

Good luck!
This is exactly what I am hearing all the time...frankly it may totally scare off potential buyers....I picked my Vista up in Florida and drove it all the way back to Iowa with absoloutely zero handling problems..yes it was different and ponderous but never a potential hazard..Never being blown across the road or such....With the information on the forums I did look underneath to see if the cheap handling fix had been done and it had not...so not to be left out in the cold I had to do the "Fix"...the ride is better with little sway now..but really I think it relates on how well the driver reacts to different road conditions...

Old 04-06-2015, 08:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
This is exactly what I am hearing all the time...frankly it may totally scare off potential buyers....I picked my Vista up in Florida and drove it all the way back to Iowa with absoloutely zero handling problems..yes it was different and ponderous but never a potential hazard..Never being blown across the road or such....With the information on the forums I did look underneath to see if the cheap handling fix had been done and it had not...so not to be left out in the cold I had to do the "Fix"...the ride is better with little sway now..but really I think it relates on how well the driver reacts to different road conditions...
We got better at handling it but there was still a battle. Adjusting the tire pressure helped too but there is a big difference in the gasser we had then and the DP we have now. I'm glad you aren't having those issues!
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #18

FWIW One of the reasons I suggested Newmar was comments on other threads about how well they drove without a bunch of fixes.

FWIW2 There seems to be two classes of drivers. Those who buy it, run it, and enjoy it and those who should be in the Can't Leave It Alone Club.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW One of the reasons I suggested Newmar was comments on other threads about how well they drove without a bunch of fixes.

FWIW2 There seems to be two classes of drivers. Those who buy it, run it, and enjoy it and those who should be in the Can't Leave It Alone Club.
I am going to get my self in trouble. But you should have added one more.

Drivers that have driven a car all their life and think a truck or a bus will handle the same way, and have no ideal how to drive one.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #20

Strange no one has mentioned the

Winnebago VIA
or the
Itasca REYO

Both Front Engine Diesel - 25'/26'
Several floor plans with one or two slides
Great gas mileage Really as much as 15mpg

Take a look at Winnebago's web site

PHE
Old 04-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #21

You might consider the Winnebago Vista 27N with the optional sofa instead of a dinette. The 30T with the buffet has a nice floor plan, although a little longer than 30'.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #22

If one is trying to go toadless they are an option. They are not one I would even begin to consider as I want enough tank space to go a few days and the ability to take as towed as part of the "best" package.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #23

Tank space is something I definitely got to watch if I moved to a shorter rig. Current rig is 75gal water and 50 each for grey and black.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #24

I have a 2016 Fleetwood Flair 26e. For some reason REV only list the 26d model now. We fill the bedroom slide with hanging clothes and would miss it.

Mine was optioned without a dinette. There is a couch instead with a removable table. We rarely use the table and also removed the recliner.

I have made one cross-country and back trip with it so far. My opinion of the f53 ride and handling is like most have said "bread truck". We did however, make 1,000 miles in (two) days 2x without getting blown off the road or anything. As a matter of fact, I felt like it was rather zippy.

I like it! We looked at a couple of Winnebago's and the Fleetwood had better engineering and quality for just a few dollars more.

REV group has several "makes" of the exact same rv FYI.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Tank space is something I definitely got to watch if I moved to a shorter rig. Current rig is 75gal water and 50 each for grey and black.

More is way better for sure. Our previous tt had 70 gallons of gray water storage. Now we only have 35, and with two humans things like using the toilet and showers is no big deal for up to 3 days. Preparing meals and washing dishes is where we were really using the most water.

To solve this problem we purchased two containers that sit inside the sinks for dishwashing. The used gray water gets dumped into the black water tank. A workaround for sure.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #26

Smile

Here is my 2 cents. We have a Fleetwood Storm 28ft. We love it. I have had not handling issues and the reliability is fine. It has a U shaped dinette. When we want more room we just remove the table. But I thing you can opt for a sofa instead of a dinette. Oh, I have not installed the cheap handling fix yet. Might do it this year before we get back on the road just to see if there is an improvement. But like I said, I have had no real issues. I have driven trucks that handle worse.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Went from 34 ft winnebago brave to a winnebago vista 26p.did chf and rear trac bar. handles fine.really like two slides.some have couch we have dinette going to change to couch very nice to drive
Old 01-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #28

Our first adventure in the RV world is a 2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2705. They only made 19 of this model. I don't know why it was discontinued.

What drew us was:
A split bathroom
No dinette
Removable coach table
Folding center console table
Length
Gasser vs diesel

Of course, it's on the Ford F53. I am one that thought the handling was horrible and have made it now acceptable. CHF, rear trac bar and a steering stabilizer have made it better.

The engine's power and the 6 speed gearbox is adequate for this coach. The same combination is used for coaches 10,000 pounds heavier.

Living in the 28' with 2 slides is all right. We have nothing to compare it to. The split bathroom is desirable to us. Many combinations for door positions and privacy. The ability for someone to shower while another to use the sink or stool is great.

The short size is very nimble and maneuverable in small areas. Can get places where big coaches can't.

Flat towing an Equinox has not been a problem.

I cannot be happier with Newmar and MidwayRV. Top quality workmanship and responsive tech support, but rarely needed.

bydnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a