Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Best tip EVER for removing bugs

I was trying everything I had in my bag of cleaners to remove the bugs from the front of the RV. I did a you tube check and found this one to be amazingly easy and it works!!!
Take an empty spray bottle, add an inch of water. Roll up a dryer sheet and put it in the bottle. Shake it up. Spray on bugs, take another dryer sheet and watch them fall off. One sheet did the entire front end.
You have to try it to believe how easy it works.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use the damp dryer sheet routine but not one added to a spray bottle with water. Will definately try that next time.

wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourdasouth View Post
I was trying everything I had in my bag of cleaners to remove the bugs from the front of the RV. I did a you tube check and found this one to be amazingly easy and it works!!!
Take an empty spray bottle, add an inch of water. Roll up a dryer sheet and put it in the bottle. Shake it up. Spray on bugs, take another dryer sheet and watch them fall off. One sheet did the entire front end.
You have to try it to believe how easy it works.
One sheet in the bottle, take another sheet and watch them fall off. That is two sheets. How did you use the second sheet.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
probably will work on the glass too, i would think. sounds like a great suggestion, will try it too! thanks for the tip.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I found the YouTube link to the video.

Here it is.

http://youtu.be/P2AGzJjJViI
Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #6

i searched further on this, and found this one mentioning the same thing Other Uses for Dryer Sheets - HowStuffWorks. copying below:

Do a search online for dryer sheets, and you'll find just how popular they are for off-label uses. People have found dozens of ways to re-purpose dryer sheets, from scrubbing counters to removing dust. Most of these off-label uses are related to the dryer sheets' main purposes: reducing static, chemically softening clothes and producing a pleasant scent. Here are some examples:

Static related -- Dryer sheets have become popular for rubbing against dust-prone surfaces such window blinds. The sheets impart a positive electrical charge, which pushes away dust particles, preventing them from landing. This applies anywhere dust is involved; a dryer sheet in a vacuum bag, for instance, can keep dust from clogging the tubes.

Cleaning and scrubbing -- Some of the fabric softening and fragrance chemicals on dryer sheets can assist in cleaning. Try scrubbing dead bugs off your car with a dryer sheet, or throw one in with any paintbrushes you're cleaning -- some dryer sheets may use acetone, which is also common in paint thinners.
Scent and fragrance -- Although you might think dryer sheets smell good, household pests have the opposite opinion. Ants, bees and mice have been reported to avoid dryer sheets. You can also leave dryer sheets in musty places, such as old shoes or closets, to improve their odor.

You'll find plenty of other off-label uses, and you might even think up your own. Just remember that dryer sheets aren't appropriate for every use -- such as removing loose fur from your pet cat or dog, for instance. It might make sense, since the same method is sometimes used for removing lint, but doing this to your pet is bound to leave behind some chemicals, which it could easily get in its mouth and poison it.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #7

sorry, you use the other sheet to wipe the bugs off.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #8

I use a Norwex Kitchen Cloth with plain water. After watching the video with the dryer sheets, I gotta say the Norwex cloth outdoes the dryer sheets. The amount of elbow grease used is less, but the cloth will cost you a few bucks.
This cloth does not harm paint/wax Finish either.

Amazon.com - Norwex Kitchen Scrub Cloth - Household Cleaning Wipes And Cloths
Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 AM   #9

I would follow with a spray wax. The dryer sheets form an acid, likely why it removes the bugs so well, so not sure if there would be long term affects on your clear coat. Might be best to follow with something to neutralize the acid.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #10
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I googled dryer sheet components. There is no acidic compounds in them. They are generally coated with a fatty molecule or silicone oil. This is what makes your clothes feel soft and not susceptible to static.

Some things are just multi-purpose.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe I did it wrong, but I tried the dryer sheets on a couple of occasions and they just made a gooey mess that I had to wash off. If I have to pull a hose out to wash off the residue, why not just use soap? I'm not being a smart a$$, just didn't have much luck. Maybe the sheets were too dry when I used them and mucked them up. How are you keeping the surface from getting gooey, requiring a hose to rinse?

I keep my front end waxed and use a spray on detailer, doesn't matter what brand, to clean off the bugs. I spray it on, doing it in sections, and use a microfiber rag to wipe it off. The front end comes clean and I'm left with a waxed front end that is easy to clean every time. Usually takes me about ten minutes every couple of driving days.

On a Class A, if the front end is full of bugs, so is the windshield. If I'm going to wash the front end, I'm going to wash the windshield. No matter what, I like a clean windshield when I drive. It's a pain with an 8' wide, 5' tall windshield to keep it clean. I have a collapsing ladder that is easy to access and then use a nylon scrub pad (freebie that comes with many products, 4" diameter). I'm able to reach half the windshield at a time (on ladder) and I spray the upper half with cleaner, scrub with nylon to remove bugs, spray again and wipe off with clean towel. The nylon scrubber takes the work out of scrubbing the bugs off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Maybe I did it wrong, but I tried the dryer sheets on a couple of occasions and they just made a gooey mess that I had to wash off. If I have to pull a hose out to wash off the residue, why not just use soap? I'm not being a smart a$$, just didn't have much luck. Maybe the sheets were too dry when I used them and mucked them up. How are you keeping the surface from getting gooey, requiring a hose to rinse?

I keep my front end waxed and use a spray on detailer, doesn't matter what brand, to clean off the bugs. I spray it on, doing it in sections, and use a microfiber rag to wipe it off. The front end comes clean and I'm left with a waxed front end that is easy to clean every time. Usually takes me about ten minutes every couple of driving days.

On a Class A, if the front end is full of bugs, so is the windshield. If I'm going to wash the front end, I'm going to wash the windshield. No matter what, I like a clean windshield when I drive. It's a pain with an 8' wide, 5' tall windshield to keep it clean. I have a collapsing ladder that is easy to access and then use a nylon scrub pad (freebie that comes with many products, 4" diameter). I'm able to reach half the windshield at a time (on ladder) and I spray the upper half with cleaner, scrub with nylon to remove bugs, spray again and wipe off with clean towel. The nylon scrubber takes the work out of scrubbing the bugs off.
Don,
I can tell you are a perfectionist. Give this cloth a try. You will be amazed. I fill a bucket about half full of water, no soap, and hang this cloth on the extend a pole sponge. Dip in the bucket and give the bugs a wipe. I use 303 on the Diamond Shield which helps for bugs but this cloth just wipes them off with ease. As far as I can tell, the 303 is not effected at all.
Most time I don't bother with my ladder, just use the squeegee to dry off since there is no chemical residue.
My neighbor put me on to this (his wife is a dealer) and I have demoed it numerous times at various campgrounds. People who try it cant believe how good it works. Wish I had bought a case of them to sell,,,,

http://www.amazon.com/Norwex-Kitchen...3W7G603FQFBSMZ
Old 07-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #13

Norwex kitchen scrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I use a Norwex Kitchen Cloth with plain water. After watching the video with the dryer sheets, I gotta say the Norwex cloth outdoes the dryer sheets. The amount of elbow grease used is less, but the cloth will cost you a few bucks.
This cloth does not harm paint/wax Finish either.

Amazon.com - Norwex Kitchen Scrub Cloth - Household Cleaning Wipes And Cloths
For $14.35 PLUS $6.35 SHIPPING ($20.70 total) for ONE scrub cloth I can purchase a WHOLE LOT of dryer sheets!

Just put a little snake oil on that kitchen scrub and you'll have spent $20.70! (plus the snake oil which is free on many forums!)
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
For $14.35 PLUS $6.35 SHIPPING ($20.70 total) for ONE scrub cloth I can purchase a WHOLE LOT of dryer sheets!

Just put a little snake oil on that kitchen scrub and you'll have spent $20.70! (plus the snake oil which is free on many forums!)
Don't knock it til you've tried it. I am in the same camp as Don. The scum from the dryer sheets is more trouble than their worth. I agree they are pricy but at the end of the day, they work. No Ifs Ands or Buts.
I have tried all kinds of these miracle cleaners and methods, along with the Bug Cleaners in spray bottles. None of them hold up to this cloth. There are other micro fiber cloths on the market (a couple by this same company) but again, they don't work like this one. AND it does not take of the wax finish.