Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
Best Tires for a Class A

We have a 2000 Allegro (recently purchased it) and I believe the tires are about ten yrs old. My husband and our service center could not find dates on them. We have never had blow out because my husband has always been good about replacing and rotating them. He wants to buy all new tires before we head out this summer and is wonder about some feedback from people that have experience with their tires. He has been looking at Cooper and Dunlop. Anyone have an opinion of what is best? Thanks Barbara

BarbsLamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Cooper RM120 on my class A and I like them. They have been mounted for four years and show very little wear.
I would replace them with Cooper again.

hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
If you want the best, get Michelins. We got our second set mounted yesterday.
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
I can't give any advice on the tires, I have not shopped for MH tires.

However, I will say, get another service center.

The tires most likely DO have a date code and I suspect a service center that can't find that date may be a little unqualified to give you other tire advice/service.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's a dead giveaway that they are employing unqualified people.

If these tires were somehow imported from another country (illegally), they may not have the codes. Highly unlikely, though. The date code is a US Dept. of Transportation requirement for any tire sold in the US.
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
2013 Jeep JKU Toad
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #5
OP, there is supposed to be dates on all tires sold in the USA, one may need to really look on the tires but the dates are there. What size tires are on the MH now? For me, I stay away from Goodyear as replacement tires, but that I just me! There are several good tires out there, but I tend to drift towards the Firestone/Bridgestone brand. I had them on my last MH and just installed two on the front of our current MH. What ever you do, shop around for price as there are some good deals and there are some that are not.
Good luck and keep us posted.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Take a look at Toyo, I put a full set on a year ago and 4000 mi taking Michelins off due to cracking real bad. The Toyos ride better I think, cost less I know, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set down the road.
George & Jerri
06 GT 340TSSE
jergeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Take a look at Hankooks. I am really happy with mine. Price was good and they don't have the Michelin sidewall problem.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
Commercial Member
My position on "Best Tire".
Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.com to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just put 6 new Firestones on for half the cost of Goodyears have about 1k on them so far no noticeable diff in ride or handling
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Consider joining the FMCA and get a discount on a new set of tires. Cost is low and the deal is great. Through FMCA you buy direct fro Michelin or Goodyear through a local dealer. Check out the FMCA website and go from there. Just a helpful tip.

Lyle 'N' Sherry and our2 girls Kiesha 'N' Muffin 1999 National RV Tradewind 7370 'n' a 2005 Kia Sedona on an Automatic car dolly
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #11
Goodyears hold pressure better than any others I have used.
cdjcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #12
We put Toyo on ours 18 months and 8500 miles later we are very pleased. They were way less expensive than Michelin even with the FMVA discount
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
As far as date codes go, they are only required to be on one side of the tire. They could very well be on the inside.
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #14
If I buy a vehicle (and have) that I cannot find date codes on I assume that they are one year older than than coach-and act accordingly. YMMV

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT

2012 Nu Wa 363RSBDA
2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Duoglide1 is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, tires