Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #15

Not a tool kit but I use this all the time. https://www.leatherman.com/wave-10.h...vD_BwE&start=1

Tools stay in the storage bays, the leatherman stays in the galley drawer and see the light of day almost daily.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Not a tool kit but I use this all the time. https://www.leatherman.com/wave-10.h...vD_BwE&start=1

Tools stay in the storage bays, the leatherman stays in the galley drawer and see the light of day almost daily.
Think I lost a dozen lettermen at the airport before I just put it in the toolbox.

Always seemed to be in my computer bag ... Slow learner.

Now a pair of needle nosed pliers and a small electric screwdriver are my go too tools — if I just could keep the right bits things would be perfect.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
My wrenches and sockets are made by Metrinch. (Metrinch-Tools) These tools are designed to turn the hex head on its flats, not the points like conventional tools do. They cannot round off the points like conventional tools do AND ONE TOOL WORKS ON BOTH METRIC AND SAE. They even work on the rounded off hex heads you got from using a 1/2" when you should have used a 12mm. One tool does two jobs; you need tools like this in the confines of an RV.
Wrenches that hold flats better than hold corners, I'll buy that. Work SAE and metric? Not so much. A nut for a 3/8 wrench will be 0.375 across flats. 10 MM .3937, loose and 9 MM .3543 won't go on. 5/8, 15 won't go on, 16 is loose, not much, but enough that a tight bolt can crack the socket.
Of course, I still have a drawer full of British Standard and Wentworth sockets and wrenches....
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Wrenches that hold flats better than hold corners, I'll buy that. Work SAE and metric? Not so much. A nut for a 3/8 wrench will be 0.375 across flats. 10 MM .3937, loose and 9 MM .3543 won't go on. 5/8, 15 won't go on, 16 is loose, not much, but enough that a tight bolt can crack the socket.
Of course, I still have a drawer full of British Standard and Wentworth sockets and wrenches....
Try it, my friend, or not. My 10 years of operational test is pretty conclusive. And I am one of millions, but maybe your zero experience is right.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As a secondary kit to my good tools I got the 305 piece one from HF. Until my Craftsman torque wrench broke I had 5 torque wrenches aboard. I have 5 steel filter wrenches of various sizes and one strap wrench. Get the idea that I have too many tools? I have at least 3 VOM's, a selection of connectors and crimper and even one for telephone and Cat 5 ir 6 cable.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
The first screwdriver you can grab in the box should be a cheaper brand flat point. Use it for prying, so when you need to turn a screw you still have a screwdriver.

I have never understood the demand for a jackstand when changing a tire. I have never been able to place the stand without putting at least a arm under the vehicle, and never needed to stick a arm under the vehicle to get the wheel off/on.
I also bring a prybar.

The jackstand? y, I agree on the tire changing. I don't use a jackstand for a fast turnaround tire change either. But...let's say I remove the tire and have to bring it somewhere to have a new tire put on the same wheel? Then yes, I would take the 5 minutes to put a jackstand under the frame rail just in case. And, any time I will crawl under the RV...the jackstand is mandatory. so, I carry two heavy duty stands all the time. They stay in the RV as I don't have much use for them otherwise. Most all other jobs use medium or light duty stands. I am putting a clutch in my backhoe right now (splitting the whole thing in two) and even that doesn't need the heavy stands.

I only carry a 1 inch drive torque wrench for wheel lug nuts. That is dual purpose as a breaker bar for big nuts as it's about 5 ft long. The only other time I use one is on engine rebuilding. And that I am not doing on the side of the road.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #21

You can never carry enough tools, the more the better.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #22

I've been going through this same dilemma but from the other side, what do I have to get rid of. Now having said that I will be going full time so every tool I need will have to be kept somewhere. Over the last couple of weeks I went through my 3 tool boxes (tops and bottoms) and decided on pretty much every wrench that I own, all of my sockets except for the 1" drive stuff which is still up in the air. I did eliminate all of the duplicate wrenches and I will eliminate most of the screw drivers and keep a couple of changeable bit screwdrivers with a very good assortment of IMPACT bits. I have decided to keep my Dewalt drill instead of an impact driver because I can set the torque on it so I'm less likely to strip stuff. It also serves two purposes and I can use the battery on my small circular saw. Now is this going to be the ideal tool kit for everyone, no. I have the ability to perform nearly all repairs myself except for major engine and transmission repairs, and until get too old I will. I also opted for some Dickies canvas tool rolls to store stuff in so I don't have all of the wasted space of a tool chest and to cushion the tools going down the road. I will also add an electric (not battery) impact wrench big enough to change tires with. The reason it will be electric is because the batteries are always dead when you need them and I'll have a genny.

As for electrical tools I have a small Radio Shack clamshell VOM, a test light and a good crimper, they look like pliers not something made from sheet metal. That said I always crimp, solder and waterproof any electrical connections. If you don't you're looking at trouble long term from corrosion.

Just what I'm doing but I currently own the tools so the out of pocket is -0- except for the impact and I have the skills to use the tools. If I were starting out I'd get a 300 or so piece Craftsman tool set and a couple of good replaceable tip screwdrivers and a goodly assortment of tips, straight, #0,1,2 & 3 phillips bits, a couple of different sizes of square bits and some Torx bits from 15 through 40. As always if you can't use the tool it won't do you any good so don't buy it.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #23

I always carry a cordless drill and the socket to fit the nut on attwood jacks. i can use the drill to retract if motor fails
elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #24

Water drain socket and one for heating element ,
elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a large Plano tackle box that had several drawers, trays and compartments. I started out just taking some duplicate tools I had at home from my big Craftsman rolling box. Over time, I added what I needed from the experiences traveling around. I have now what I think is a comprehensive set of tools that should be sufficient for most jobs on the road. (Note that my collection of stuff took place before there was anything like HF). Note: my most used tools are my Leatherman Wave, and my multi-bit ratcheting screwdriver from Ace Hardware...followed by my cordless drill and finally my V.O.M.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Think I lost a dozen lettermen at the airport before I just put it in the toolbox.

Always seemed to be in my computer bag ... Slow learner.

Now a pair of needle nosed pliers and a small electric screwdriver are my go too tools — if I just could keep the right bits things would be perfect.
Had to chuckle on the lost leathermen at the airport, I did loose a few as well and bought a few back off the eBay auctions. Left a couple in the plant bases for someone else to find also while standing in line
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #27

Dont want to be a thread killer so I do carry a couple tool kits that have multiple sockets, wrenches and so on. Small assortment of various components as well and a hammer plus a cordless drill. VOM is mandatory and have a good one plus a so so one. By having two multiple combo kits you can usually combine extensions or whatever you need and get the job done such as changing out a nozzle on an Aqua-Hot.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everybody goes about repairs a little differently based on their experience, skill, ability and desires. For some folks the best tool kit is just their credit card and road side assistance program, not to pick on them, just the ways it is. For others we do everything to all most everything our selves and feel comfortable in doing so. A couple key points:
1) Always stay within your comfort zone and desired learning curve
2) Always be willing to do a little research online. Most RV maintenance is documented somewhere online. Beware, there is some very wrong and bad stuff out there as well as the really great stuff.
3) Learn what YOUR rig requires as far as tools. No need to carry SAE if everything is metric and you probably don't really require every size of socket and wrench.

Tool List

I do all/most of my own maintenance and service on my 5th wheeler. While working on the rig at home I try perform these functions out of my on-board toolbox, if I’m short something it will probably get added. I’m one of those guys that never met a tool I didn’t like, so my shop is well stocked. I carry what I think I’d need on the road for most things.

This list is really for my 5th, the MH takes a little different set of tools and supplies. Sure there's lots of overlap, but each RV requires some unique stuff.

1. Multi bit screw driver with a wide assortment of special bits
2. Basic dedicated screwdrivers, square drive, Phillips, straight, etc.
3. Most of a Lowes pliers set, left a few things behind
4. 6, 8 & 10 in. adjustable wrenches
5. 8” vise grip pliers
6. Both 3/8” SAE and metric socket sets, my rig needs both
7. Both 3/8” SAE and metric combination wrenches
8. A combination set of ¼” SAE and metric sockets
9. Medium ball pin hammer
10. Wire strippers and crimpers
11. Allen head wrench sets
12. Tape measure
13. PEX hose cutter and crimper for steel PEX bands
14. Caulk gun
15. Grease guns, small and standard
16. 14” pry bar, use to do the last inch of lift when changing tires, makes life easy (never had a flat)
17. Digital multimeter
18. Infrared thermometer
19. Digital tire gauge and an analog tire gauge
29.5 Hydrometer and turkey basting tube to refill battery water
20. Torque wrenches, I check my wheel lugs every morning along with tire pressures
21. Four-way tire tool
22. Long ½” breaker bar with another 30” pipe cheater
23. 12 ton jack
24. Cordless drill with charger & matching work light
25. Odd assortment of items used to change a wheel bearing and raceway
26. Utility knife & razor scraper
27. LED flashlight in toolbox and in each compartment
28. Split ring pliers, inside & outside
29. I use a CO2 system to inflate tires instead of a compressor, I frequently do not have 110v power for a larger compressor
30. Air blow gun and a extension blow gun (up to 22”) tire inflator
31. Hand held Propane detector
32. Hacksaw & spare blades
33. Small wood saw
34. And what ever I can’t recall

As for supplies and parts:
1. Full set of fuses
2. Spare bulbs
3. Electrical, duct, thernabond & teflon tape
4. Zip ties
5. Crimp ends for wires, custom selected for wires on-board
6. Spare length of 12Ga. Wire
7. Cable ties
8. Spare wheel bearings, seals, etc.
9. Bearing grease
10. Grease gun and extra grease for wet bolts
11. Propane pipe joint compound (the yellow stuff)
12. Disposable gloves
13. Rags
14. Silicone spray
15. WD40 (this is not a lube)
16. Spare PEX fittings and PEX clamps & short length(s) of PEX pipe
17. Assortment of screws
18. Roof repair materials
19. Caulk
20. Superglue
21. Butyl tape
22. C-clips for compartment door latches
23. Dicor self leveling sealant
23.5 Distilled water
24. Washers for water hose, spare wire mesh filter for the city water connection
25. Manuals for everything I’ve found manuals for
26. Hand cleaner
27. Roll of paper towels
28. All other things I can’t think of sitting here

I carry this stuff in four places, a regular plastic toolbox for the most used things, another box for the cordless stuff, another plastic box for rarely used tools and a large plastic tub for the spare parts. Small parts live in an assortment of plastic part boxes from Home Depot. I have avoided buying those assortment kits of parts. I select only the sizes and types that are actually used in my rig and in quantities that might be needed. With exception of wheel bearings I’ve used most of the stuff at some point or another.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote