Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #1

Best TV antenna

Getting ready to order my new RV. For general TV viewing I am confused as to which type of antenna to get. I can order the in motion satellite or get anything I want. I am told that dish TV is better then direct TV for HD. If I get a roof mount I may be parked under trees. I'm told the bat wing antenna don't work very well. So for just general TV viewing which is the best system to get? Thank you in advance for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsfan116 View Post
Getting ready to order my new RV. For general TV viewing I am confused as to which type of antenna to get. I can order the in motion satellite or get anything I want. I am told that dish TV is better then direct TV for HD. If I get a roof mount I may be parked under trees. I'm told the bat wing antenna don't work very well. So for just general TV viewing which is the best system to get? Thank you in advance for any help.
You are asking about 2 or 3 different things. The batwings pick up TV over the air and pick up HD just fine without Dish or Direct. In motion does need a service and picks up satellite TV so you (someone not driving) can watch TV while driving down the road. It is on the roof. You can also have either a roof mounted or portable Satellite Antenna.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are using terms associated with 2 very different TV technologies...

For SAT...The in-motion, like you mention is for Dish or DirecTV.
A fix rooftop antenna can be block by trees if you park in the shade...for this reason, we have a portable. Portable and Dome antenna cannot receive High Def SAT for DirecTV subscribers, unless that portable is a manual aim home style antenna on a stand. So, yes for HD, Dish has an advantage. For sports, DirecTV reportedly has an advantage...YMMV.

The batwing is for over the air (OTA) broadcast TV.

Your RV will probably come with an OTA antenna. You can add SAT to any RV after purchase, but having the dealer add a rooftop antenna can be part of the deal if you want that.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #4

I realize I'm mentioning different systems. Which system is best for general TV viewing?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
GKW

Dish or DIRECTV satellite will give you by far much more variety than the air system. We have both but have never used the through the air system. Many campgrounds have cable that will easily switch into a satellite system. You can get a campground spot where trees will totally block your satellite receiver occasionally, so this is one downside where cable or air antenna will fill in.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I realize I'm mentioning different systems. Which system is best for general TV viewing?
If you will be RVing within about 35 miles of a large town (50 miles in the flatlands) OTA TV will give you 3-4 major networks and maybe PBS and/or an independent channel.

Campgrounds usually have "basic cable"...sometimes good quality, but often not so good.

For the rest of North America, SAT is the only way to get reliable quality TV.

That's why we have Dish TV, a rooftop and portable antenna (for when we camp in shade) and a receiver with a DVR to record and time-shift (FFWD, Pause, RRWD) TV.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:22 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Traveler rooftop sat antenna for Dish. Tailgater portable sat antenna for when the rooftop is blocked. Plus Razer OTA antenna.

IMHO
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would go with the Directv Traveler for my sat system because of the HD signal. It can be converted to Dish if you so choose to change companies. Note: the Dish Traveler cannot be converted to receive Directv. The new batwing Winegard OTA antennas work just fine if your in or close to a major metropolitan area and you could go with the Razor but I wouldn't spend the money. Most campgrounds have cable for local TV. Yes trees can be an issue but not that often. It's just the nature of the beast.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Of course you will get more channels off a satellite dish, but for picture quality, the antenna will supply a better picture. We always watch off the antenna whenever possible and use the satellite dish only for channels not available with the antenna.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #10

Using a Batwing antenna in addition to a SensarPro strength meter, is going to be about the best OTA reception out there. As Scarab0088 stated, you will have to be somewhat close, depending on terrain, to a town/city to get good reception. The SensarPro helps us locate the TV signal origin so we can aim our directional antenna correctly. Plus, I can increase the gain if the signal is weak.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #11

We just changed our old standard batwing Winegard Sensar to a King Jack on the batwing and more than tippled our OTA channels. Less than 5 minutes of work. It connected right to the batwing and cost less then $100

http://kingconnect.com/product/king-jack-head/

Tags
antenna