Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #1

Best use of $75,000?

That's about what we would write a check for to upgrade to something with a bit more room for full timing! There appears to be a couple of different ways to go. One could look at 2005-2010 gassers but then there are lots of older and really nice 20 year old pushers. Cost of maintenance is a factor I believe, but in looking at rvtrader.com the options are numerous.

Is newer really better? Thanks.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #2

Better used and maintained than stored and ignored.
Look for maintenance records on any unit you consider.
For full timing storage space and CCC ( Cargo Carrying Capacity) have to be a major concern. You need the space to carry your stuff, and CCC to handle the weight. If you really look at gassers , finding enough CCC will be a challenge.
Some later models went to 24,000 & 26,000 GVWR chassis , but older units on a 22,000 chassis, just don't have enough.
CCC, storage space, ( basement pass through storage) and tow weight ratings are the major , reasons for considering a diesel pusher.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
That amount of cash can probably find you a very decent 35-40' DP in the 2000-2005 year range. Unless it's really been beat to heck, I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of a coach with those characteristics with 100K+ miles on it, since the engine/chassis combos are built so much more ruggedly with a DP versus a "typical" gasser. Not to say that you wouldn't find a nice gasser, probably newer and with fewer miles. But for full timing, you'll want the room and carrying capacity of the larger DPs, for the most part.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #4

I would also suggest going with a used diesel pusher in the 2000-2004 range. You want one with plenty of CCC and has been stated, you will have a hard time finding that in a gas unit. Get a coach that is built well and maintained well.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:34 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
You might consider giving it to me
Old 10-03-2015, 05:40 AM   #6

If it was me, I'd take a good look as something like this...

1999 Foretravel U320 , Irmo SC - - RVtrader.com

or this

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004...ETON-115592975
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:46 AM   #7

Definitely look at a higher-end coach - about 12 + years old. With your trade-in, you'll be close.

But with a higher-end coach, you'll be very comfortable.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #8

Best use of $75,000?

We bought a 2003 w/62,000 miles last year, for several thousand less than your $75,000 budget. Took lots of kissing pigs, and kicking tires but it's been trouble free for the last 10,000 miles. We were lucky in that the previous owner was the original, took extremely good care of it and had ordered from the factory with a bucket load options (all but one on my wish list). There are some great coaches out there. In Florida we found a huge selection around the end of snowbird season.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #9

Agree there are some great coaches out there for $75000 or less! Regarding gassers I tend to prefer National Dolphins, Itasca Suncruisers, Fleetwood Bounders and possible Winnebago Vistas in the 35-38' range.
Lots of advise to look into diesels, but to be quite frank the potential cost of repair if needed and the expense of ongoing maintenance scares me compared to gassers. Funds are not unlimited!

We've targeted 2016 as the year to upgrade but only time will tell. We do love our current 34' Bounder as it looks great, carries all our stuff, works perfectly and still has less than 10K on the odometer! If it just had a slide!!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:00 AM   #10

Best use of $75,000.00....invest it
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:13 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was I your exact same shoes in 2010. We shopped till we dropped. Ended up with an 03 FW Excursion, 36K on the odometer, one owner and records. Tires were two years old, Toyos. Added Konis, and SS bell crank. End result GREAT coach. Paid 69K put five into it with upgrades in TV etc. sometimes I wonder why we traded her. Please don't let the fear of maintenance on a DP prevent you from making your decision. You'll appreciate the amenities and percentage wise it just "ain't" an issue. JMO but well thought out!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with the consensus that you should really try to find a higher end DP in your price range. If you plan to drive little and stay in one or two places a lot, a gasser will be fine. However, IMO, if you plan to travel and see the US, you will soon appreciate the better, quieter, more stable ride and handling associated with most DP's. Plus, as noted, you can generally take more things along with you and pull more weight (10K towing capacity vs. 5K with gasser).

The key is to be diligent in finding a coach with good bones that has been maintained properly. Also agree that one that has been driven is better than one that has sat in one place or driven little.

Getting a higher end used coach will pay dividends in terms of build quality, amenities, better insulation, etc.... things you would expect from a higher end coach. Brands to consider are Foretravel, Country Coach (especially the years before 06-07), American Coach, Beaver, Monaco, Travel Supreme, and Newmar higher end like Mountain Air and Essex.

Don't hesitate to pay a knowledgeable person to do an inspection for you. If you fall in love with a particular coach, you can talk yourself into overlooking things that might be more carefully considered.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:32 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
Lots of advise to look into diesels, but to be quite frank the potential cost of repair if needed and the expense of ongoing maintenance scares me compared to gassers. Funds are not unlimited!
Oil change on our diesel is about $100 if I do it myself. Six gallons of oil oil and $40+ filter. I saw the price at an RV dealer listed at $250. Cummins recommends 10,000 miles or yearly. We never reach 10K a year so $100 every year.

There are advantages such as the air ride suspension is great and lots more power. Mileage wise we get better mileage than the V10 gasser we had before in a much larger coach.

I think in the size range you are looking, you will be fine with a gasser. Friends of ours upgraded their older Fleetwood with no slides to a new gas Bounder and it is sweet. Don't know how they did it for the 6-7 months they live in it with no slides. You guys will love the extra room. Happy hunting!
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Trade plus use $65K to buy. The other $10K will be needed for maintenance.
Just new tires alone will take around 3K of it.

On a used DP without maintenance records. It will not be cheap(if all done in shops) changing all fluids & filters on it to get a base starting point to maintain it.

And with older units you will be replacing water heaters, AC units, slide out awnings, patio awnings etc. sometime during your Full Time use.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote