Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #1

Best way to clean RV toilet?

I'm a relatively new RV-er, so I was wondering if any of you veterans have words of advice on the best way to clean the RV toilet. Is it okay to use regular residential toilet bowl cleaner, or are they too harsh? Any comments are appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We use all of the regular stuff to clean up the toliet including bleach. Generally we will do that towards the time when we are needing to dump tanks anyway.

Then once the toilet and tank have been cleaned we refresh the tank with either Rid-X RV or Happy Campers depending on the outside temps.

I find that Happy Campers works the best for complete odor control once the temps get into the 90's, otherwise the Rid-X RV is adequate to use and cheaper per dose.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 02-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
I'm a relatively new RV-er, so I was wondering if any of you veterans have words of advice on the best way to clean the RV toilet. Is it okay to use regular residential toilet bowl cleaner, or are they too harsh? Any comments are appreciated!
I don't think most would be to harsh for the bowl it self. We use several different products from camping world. One is powder in a pouch that when mixed with water in the bowl it foams and cleans and also a round toilet brush that can get pretty far down inside when you depress the foot pedal.
Sorry don't have names for them but the real reason for my reply is that when we have used harsher cleansers we lose the water tight seal on the rubber gasket at the base of the toilet bowl which is to help keep some water in the bottom of the bowl. I have had to use silicone spray and finally used a little Vaseline on the seal to get it to hold water in the bowl again. So just be careful how harsh of a cleanser you use.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We just started using Happy Camper holding tank treatment this past fall and find that it not only does it work well for odor but when you add it fill the bowl and clean as usual with a toilet brush and it works well to clean and freshen the brush. Can't take credit for the idea as it is on the container

Before that we used regular household stuff but also waited until it was ready to be dumped wondering what all the mixed chemicals might do.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #5

I have used many different products to clean with, a couple of which eventually ruined the seal. However we now use a combo of regular Dawn dish soap and Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle on just about every solid surface. It actually did an amazing job cleaning the grout on our tile floor. As to additives in the black tank , well we just don't use them. In 8 full years we just super flush our tanks. On the rare occasion when we get an odor in really hot weather we just add a cup of calgon dissolved in water
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
We use all of the regular stuff to clean up the toliet including bleach. Generally we will do that towards the time when we are needing to dump tanks anyway.

Then once the toilet and tank have been cleaned we refresh the tank with either Rid-X RV or Happy Campers depending on the outside temps.

I find that Happy Campers works the best for complete odor control once the temps get into the 90's, otherwise the Rid-X RV is adequate to use and cheaper per dose.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

X2! Except we use Happy Campers exclusively!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use "scrubbing bubbles" to clean sinks, counter tops, and the toilet bowl. I use a standard toilet bowl brush to do the scrubbing. in between those cleanings, we also use those foaming pods that others above have mentioned, though i don't think they are particularly effective.

i haven't tried it yet, buti have read on this forum that some folks clean their toilets really well, then turn off the water pump and flush to get all of the water out of the bowl, then dry the bowl and wax it. sounds a bit gross to me, which is why i haven't tried it yet, but the idea is that a slippery bowl will stay cleaner longer.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post

I haven't tried it yet, but I have read on this forum that some folks clean their toilets really well, then turn off the water pump and flush to get all of the water out of the bowl, then dry the bowl and wax it. sounds a bit gross to me, which is why I haven't tried it yet, but the idea is that a slippery bowl will stay cleaner longer.
Waaaay too much trouble and work in my book!

I'll stick to the old fashion method, chemicals and a little bit of elbow grease.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #9

I use hot soapy water in mine, and a regular toilet brush. Be carefull when using that brush, some of them have a habit of losing the brush head. Don't want to have anything that can't break down drop into that tank. When coming back from a long RV session I flush my tank over and over again with hot soapy water, finally finishing with a fresh flush from a hose.
JohnnyStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
X3 Happy Campers. Simple
Old 02-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
Is it okay to use regular residential toilet bowl cleaner, or are they too harsh?
If the toilet is plastic, don't use an abrasive cleaner.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #12

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I had never heard of Happy Campers, but due to all your positive comments I just ordered some to try it.