Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #1

Best way to dry storage bay?

Hi All,

I recently posted about water leaking through the storage bay (directly to the left of the entry door) of our 16 Winne Vista 31BE. I recently took it in for furnace service and had them adjust the compartment door. After more rain this week I went to check it and sure enough it was wet again. Not as wet but still wet. In addition, now the storage compartment at the rear ( same side) is really wet inside. When it was Services they tested with water test and it was dry. It’s now wet, to the point where there is a small puddle of water.

The interior wall of the compartments are dry. The only thing I can think of is that it’s the weather stripping however it doesn’t look cracked or worn. Not sure what to do next but I need to dry it. Last time it happened I dried the trunk liner with a blow dryer but it of course took forever. Any suggestions on best ways to dry it quickly? Should I worry about mold with the wet trunk liner?

I’ve emailed Winnebago to see if this is a know issue. Any ideas or tips are appreciated. I’m thinking of buying some new weather stripping and seeing if that helps.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #2

A few questions for clarification.

Do you have the mid-door model or the forward door model?

Which compartment, exactly, do you mean by the "rear" compartment as I see 3 possibilities rearward from the first one you mentioned.

Has the coach been parked while raining, or was it driven?

If parked, was the rain hitting directly on the side of the leaks?

I think you are on the right track in suspecting the weatherstrip. With side opening doors there is no hinge at the top to provide a bit of a shield/deflection for run-off and water will tend to flow down the side and into the top opening of the door, being stopped only by an adequate weather seal. Gaps of any degree will allow water intrusion. Yes, the trim strip should keep the water from hitting the opening, but may not be doing so.

Another thought, at least for the first compartment, is that it is directly below the vent/opening for the water heater. Perhaps water is entering through that area and moving down, into the compartment below.

Once you have things dried out, you might want to water test yourself. Put toilet paper inside the compartments and suspected locations and spray the coach with water, simulating a period of rain. Let the water cascade down the side of the coach from roof line so the arms of the awning are also exposed. After, open the compartments and report what you find, especially which pieces of toilet paper are wet.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would recommend a small dehumidifier. I would put it up on something so that it's not sitting directly on the wet carpet. If there is standing water, of course, I would not recommend using electric appliance

I've had to use a dehumidifier, as well, and it did a great job getting the water out. The other nice thing is you set it up and walk away. No standing there with a hair dryer. The other plus is there's no heat involved. So you have less chance of damage to the carpet.
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply ljwt230.

I’ve posted a picture of the two compartments. I feel like the water is
getting in on the side of the door where the matches are. That seem to be where the most wet.

It’s not being driven in the rain and unfortunately I’m not sure what side the rain is coming from because it’s stored when not in use. The side in question probably has about 3 feet between the next rig so it’s got some cover however the rear compartment (which is now the most wet) sticks out further than the next the trailer next to us so it can get hit directly with rain (hope this makes sense).

Yes, water test is a good idea! Thinking of buying a small leaf blower to get it dried out. Thoughts on that? Also do you thins I should worry about mold with the liner at the bottom of the compartments?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	820FA0EF-4AA1-4E10-8877-3FB714726A38.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	235247  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
Thanks for the reply ljwt230.

I’ve posted a picture of the two compartments. I feel like the water is
getting in on the side of the door where the matches are. That seem to be where the most wet.

It’s not being driven in the rain and unfortunately I’m not sure what side the rain is coming from because it’s stored when not in use. The side in question probably has about 3 feet between the next rig so it’s got some cover however the rear compartment (which is now the most wet) sticks out further than the next the trailer next to us so it can get hit directly with rain (hope this makes sense).

Yes, water test is a good idea! Thinking of buying a small leaf blower to get it dried out. Thoughts on that? Also do you thins I should worry about mold with the liner at the bottom of the compartments?

Couldn't quite make out your response, then it came to me than you typo'd "latches" into "matches".

I agree that the latch area is the most suspect as that's the place where there may be a problem with weather strip continuity. Yes, it's clear about the rear compartment exposure and that makes sense as well.

The dehumidifier is a good idea, but so is any continued circulation of air, though it will take longer if the relative humidity remains high. Whatever you do, keep air circulating until the areas are dry.

Can't comment on mold as I don't know what type of liner you have. If it's a thin carpet/felt-like material, any water trapped under it can create mold if it's a porous material. If water cannot go through, the surface can be completely dried and should cause no issue as long as the compartment does not continued to get wet.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

Yes, it does seem like a problem Winnebago is aware of but it's not only Winnebago but other manufacturers that have similar problems. We had a problems with two our Winnebago products but patience and perseverance with using a silicone sealant caulk anywhere I could find seams that could be a source of water coming in and it finally solved the problem.

You can read some of the threads on it over on the spin-off Winnebago Owners' forums board:

Search results for "storage compartment leaks" - Winnebago Owners Online Community

As for soaking up the water, we used cat litter. It works wonders soaking up liquid and especially comes in handy for things like soaking up oil and fluids left on concrete, etc. We used to carry kitty litter with us even though we didn't have a cat.

We also use these cheap products to prevent mold although there are more expensive and specific products you can use (like THIS ONE that we did buy at one time but didn't work any better than the following products) such as baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and white vinegar --again, all products we carried with us and are cheap to buy. However, once you can solve what is causing the wetness or where it is coming from, you shouldn't have to worry about mold and if it does happen, just clean it off as it should be only a temporary problem without causing any permanent damage. Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar can be put in spray bottles and safely used on a variety of surfaces ...just check on a small inconspicuous place before using in large quantities.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #7

Damp Rid works well for a fairly small area
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses! I'd yes Ljwt330, meant to type latch

I'm pulling the RV out of storage tomorrow and will park it out front this week. I'll invest in a small dehumidifier , some damp rid and then see if I can install some new weather stripping and maybe give it a few tests.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
Thanks for the responses! I'd yes Ljwt330, meant to type latch

I'm pulling the RV out of storage tomorrow and will park it out front this week. I'll invest in a small dehumidifier , some damp rid and then see if I can install some new weather stripping and maybe give it a few tests.
Please keep us posted on your results. Many Winnebago owners, and others, will like to know what finally solved the leak issue. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For any mold issues, I use vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle, spray and leave it. Vinegar only has a scent when wet. None after it dries.

Also baking soda kills mold.

I am a big advocate of simple, easy, natural/non-toxic.
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #11

Call a professional water damage restoration company like Servpro. Don't diddle around, do it right. Time is not on your side.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Mold will only develop after several days. You need to get it dried out within a day or two. If you let it go too long then you will need someone like ServPro but if you dry it out promptly it will be fine. I have dried a wet basement out by leaving the basement doors open and running a box fan in the basement on high. Anything that moves the damp air out and dry air in will work.

As for why it is leaking, is it big enough to climb inside and close the door? If so, close the door and look for light leaks from inside. If you can't fit inside with the door closed, start a video on your cellphone, place the phone inside and close the door. Then play back the video to see if light is leaking in and from where.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #13

Update- Brought it home and used my wet dry vac to soak up excess water and then I dried it up.

I performed a test with a hose and water is definitely getting in through the gaps around the door. I went ahead and removed the weather stripping and installed a new one (purchased from Home Depot) and water still getting in. It might have actually allowed more water to get in. You can see that water is running down the interior of the storage door. I also noticed the marine/auto weather stripping that was purchase is actually a lot softer than the original type. It may need something thicker and firmer.

I decided that I don’t have time to chase it (only 1-2 hours of daylight by the time I get home during the week) so I took it in to my local repair shop and they will continue to spray it and try to find the source and get it fixed. They are aware and will also ensure it’s nice and dry as they continue to water test it.

I’ll post an update when we get it figured out.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #14

Sorry, I didn't see your last post when I wrote this...BUT...

Go buy some additional self adhesive weatherstripping from HD and run another layer either OVER existing weatherstripping OR the door face itself to try to stop the bleeding. In other words, you're trying to create a tighter seal. Two strips of weatherstripping. One on the inside frame and one on the door. That way when you shut the door, these two surfaces will meet and make a seal.

Next...go to Wallyworld and buy a 10" or so small fan, leave bay door open, set fan on bay floor, plug in fan and dry that area out completely.

Once everything is dry, Mix a 10/1, bleach/water solution, put into spray bottle and spray solution all over...on walls, floor, edges, etc, etc. to kill any potential growth of mold/mildew.

If you have outdoor carpet on the floor and you determine it's already trashed, consider pulling it, spraying bleach solution on bare floor, drying that area out again, then install new carpet than you can find cheap at HD.

Open a new box or two of baking soda and place in corners of the bay.

Monitor to see if additional weatherstripping worked when driving and it rains.

If all else fails...when you know a rain event is coming, run some 3" blue painters tape over the outside of the door seams. Once rain event or driving in the rain is over....remove tape. Sometimes even if it's not pretty, you've gotta do what you gotta do.

My 2 cents. Good luck my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage