RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #1

Best way to fix this leak?

I noticed yesterday that a pipe that leads to one of my gray tanks has developed a very slow leak.

I'm not familiar with this type of plumbing and would appreciate any assistance.

I've worked with PVC that is often used in sprinkler systems, but I'm not sure if this would be the same.

I wish the joint was something I could just tighten, but I'm assuming it's glued not screwed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190110_103809.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	231617  

It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm curious if the leak is from freezing or a defect in the fitting. A couple thoughts:

1) clean the area around the crack. scratch it with #200 sand paper, then use a big glob of JB Weld over and around the leak

2) It looks like a 30 or 45 degree black PVC fitting. I can see the pipe to the right of your finger and it looks like a dump valve to the left.

Anyway, it looks like the bad fitting could be cut out and a new fitting installed. Depending on how the fitting is attached to the valve, unfortunately you may need to replace the valve

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The hardest part most of the time is being able to get to the pipe. It looks in your picture that is not going to be the problem. Replacing this type of pipe typically requires a bit of flex somewhere in the mix so you can separate the pipe after cutting out the problem and installing the new part. I would look at the pipe and first decide where I'm going to make my cut. Sometimes it easier to cut out an entire section, including pipes that aren't bad, rebuild that same section on a work bench, then install the entire piece.

By doing the above I would imagine that you could re-install where there are straight pipes before and after the problem and the straights will hopefully have some flex where they can slide into the replacement section on each end.

I'm not exactly sure what is the correct glue for these pipes but that can be answered and a big box store. Good luck.

Might help for others to chime in if you include a few more pics that show a wide angle of the pipe routing.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
That's ABS pipe, and the procedures for working with it are the same as for PVC, but the glue is different. I would drain the tank, warm the area well with a hair drier, which will do two things for you. It will dry any residual water from inside the leak, and it will allow the ABS cement you apply to the outside of the leak to be drawn in by the contraction of the plastic as it cools. ABS cement is a solvent cement, just like PVC cement. Extremely flammable when uncured.
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Bunny View Post
That's ABS pipe, and the procedures for working with it are the same as for PVC, but the glue is different. I would drain the tank, warm the area well with a hair drier, which will do two things for you. It will dry any residual water from inside the leak, and it will allow the ABS cement you apply to the outside of the leak to be drawn in by the contraction of the plastic as it cools. ABS cement is a solvent cement, just like PVC cement. Extremely flammable when uncured.
First of all, thanks for the responses.

Do you think there is any chance of applying additional cement to the area and fixing the leak? The pipe is not under pressure since it just dumps into the grey tank, or is that just doing it half arsed?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

I'd measure the diameter and buy an ABS coupling for that size pipe. I'd then cut off an appropriately sized piece of the coupling as a patch. Then slather both the cracked pipe and the repair piece with ABS cement, give them some time to soften and clamp them together with a hose clamp.

This will probably be better than just ABS cement alone.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I'd measure the diameter and buy an ABS coupling for that size pipe. I'd then cut off an appropriately sized piece of the coupling as a patch. Then slather both the cracked pipe and the repair piece with ABS cement, give them some time to soften and clamp them together with a hose clamp.

This will probably be better than just ABS cement alone.
Thank you.

Just to give you some more background: I do not see any visible crack in the pipe. The water appears to be dripping at the joint, so I'm thinking either the cement was put on too sparingly since it is almost nonexistent at the location of the drip, or the pipe has pulled away from it's attachment from vibration.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #8

The drain pipe is not under pressure.

Adding solvent (it's not glue) to the outside of the pipe will not work unless you can put the internal section of pipe under vacuum to draw the solvent into the void.

Rustoleum (and others) make tapes that can bond and harden to stop this type of leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 10.16.58 AM.png
Views:	105
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	231623  
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
The drain pipe is not under pressure.

Adding solvent (it's not glue) to the outside of the pipe will not work unless you can put the internal section of pipe under vacuum to draw the solvent into the void.

Rustoleum (and others) make tapes that can bond and harden to stop this type of leak.
Thanks, I think I may try the leakseal first. I figure I don't really have anything to lose. I live in the coach full time, so I'll have plenty of time to check it to see if it leaks. If it doesn't work I'll get out the hack saw
Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #10

If it were me, I'd try the easiest first. That would be in my mind a re-glue of some kind, probably something like Steve & Bunny suggest, or one of the others, whichever you feel most comfortable with. If that doesn't work try a patch, and if that fails about the only thing left is to replace that section of pipe.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Take a look at Rescue Tape, that might get you were you need to go.
https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-R...cue+tape&psc=1
Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Take a look at Rescue Tape, that might get you were you need to go.
https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-R...cue+tape&psc=1
Yes, this does look like it might be a better product, if you can trust the reviews. I love reviews, and always try to find the products that get the best ones, but sometimes the reviews are bogus.
I've had several companies offer to give me something in return for giving them a favorable review. Amazon and others should remove them as sellers as far as I'm concerned, it ruins the legitimacy of the reviews.

On another note, I'm always amazed at how many different solutions folks come up with on this forum, sometimes in ways I would never imagine. RVers like myself that are not that handy are fortunate to have a forum such as this one for help when needed, thanks to all.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I found out about the stuff back when I was a boater, supposed to be the cat's meow, but I've never had to use it (though I have a roll of it, just in case).
Let us know what you find that works, so we can all pass it on to the next guy.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I found out about the stuff back when I was a boater, supposed to be the cat's meow, but I've never had to use it (though I have a roll of it, just in case).
Let us know what you find that works, so we can all pass it on to the next guy.
Yes of course, I always make sure to post the final solution. There's nothing worse than trying to help someone and not knowing the end result, and if you made a difference.

However, it will be a about 3 weeks since I've winterized my coach and I'm headed back to the warmth of my Florida sticks and bricks home.

Tags
leak