Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #1

Best way to mount cabinets for no squeaking

I am replacing the front cabinets where the tube TV used to be. I built 3 new cabinets. One is 8' wide for the front and 2 4'ers go on the sides.

The front cabinet really only can be mounted to the leading edge of the walls and roof. It extends forward into the space that the front cap/windshield creates without touching the cap or windshield. The two side cabinets can be attached to the roof and walls and the front cabinet.

My question is what do others recommend for minimal squeaking?

1) On one end of the scale, I could bold them solidly to everything. The front cabinet would be attached a few spots along the roof and also the sides. The side cabinets would be attached to the roof, walls, and the front cabinet.

OR

2) I could attach the front cabinet only to the roof. The walls are 97" apart, so the 96" cabinet won't touch the walls. The side cabinets could be attached only to say the roof, or to the wall, leaving a gap between the non-attached sides and between the front cabinets.

or something in between

3) attach the front cabinet to roof and sides, and attach the side cabinets to just the walls but also put felt between the side cabinets and the front and put bolts to attach them that are not so tight as to prevent the side cabinets from moving relative to the front cabinet. In other words, no visible gaps, but movement is allowed.

I fear that #1 will make the wood creak as the whole thing is flexed. #2 just seems lame in that there will be gaps between the front and sides. #3 seems like a potentially dumb trade off between stressed wood that creaks and moving parts that squeak.

This is a DP that I find a hell of a lot more quiet and rattle free than the gas puller's I have rented in the past. This might mean that I can bolt it all together and unless I'm doing some offroading the wood won't be stressed. Or it means that any error, causes a noticeable irritation cause everything else is so quiet.

jt
johntaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #2

I too have replaced cabinets. If they are not glued, I use felt pads at the joint and then secure with screws or other fasteners. I have noticed this prevents rubbing/squeaks. As I redid some that had a problem.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

I'd 'bolt' them firmly and also use construction adhesive to keep them from squeaking. You don't have to run beads of adhesive the whole length of contact, but using dabs of it along the way will help keep things quiet.

I'd suggest you take this opportunity with the old cabinets out to insulate the interior of the cap to prevent heat loss (winter) and gain. (summer)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi John! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

That is definitely not my area of expertise so I'll just let others advise you!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote