Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am working on a special formula of wax that you apply on the front of your RV. With this special wax you will see 2-3 MPG improvement over what you are getting now. This is a limited time offer. But wait.. there is more.

Sorry I could not resist.

I agree with a above poster. If there was a product that would increase their milage by as little as .3 MPG the would jump on it. Can you imagine the amount of fuel a fleet of truck use and the milage that they travel. A $1,000 purchase would be a no brainer.

My Pop always would say, If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
To play the Devil's Advocate here. Now just talking about BIG diesels such as Cummins, CAT and Detroit. If it was really possible to change and improve the MPG on these big diesels rigs then wouldn't the trucking industry have already done it? The trucking companies would have tested it and modified their whole fleet in a flash. Stop and think what would increasing MPG from 6 to 6.6 mpg would do for Werner or Yellow Freight or one of those other big companies. We are talking savings of millions a year in fuel. Cummins would have modified all their motors and would be telling the world that their motors get better MPG. UPS even computes how much fuel they can save by having their trucks only turn one direction. Small changes are big $$$$ for a company like UPS or FEDEX. They would install any true gas saving device on their vehicles

Now when I say improve MPG I am talking at steady throttle on a flat road. Now it is always possible to increase power on vehicles at Wide Open Throttle so you feel it when you accelarate but that is not how we drive a motorhome.
Mike... its a well known fact that ALL production vehicles arent 100% efficient. Manufacturers design intakes to quell noise instead of maximum flow and emissions systems to meet smog nazi standards who are setting standards from the seat of their pants.
Also in the case of motorhome chassis... you have one product being sold to 30+ end fabricators.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry but that's an old wives tale. These days motors are designed for the higest efficiency they can get based on what they know and (I agree with you) on what the emission laws limit them to. They don't care about noise because of great sound insulation. They sure don't care about noise in a truck diesel. It takes X amount of power to push that amount of weight against the wind down the road and it takes a set amount of fuel in that motor to make that X amount of power and that motor has to run at a set Air Fuel Ratio to make that power. Unless you lighten that mh or decrease the coefficient of drag you are not going to change the MPG on a flat level road with a steady throttle. You can change things to give you more power at wide open throttle for climbing grades but not for MPG. The other option is to physically change something internal in the motor such as camshaft or head design or number of valves or piston top design. There is no conspiracy to hold back MPG on these motors it is a technology limitation.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
I am working on a special formula of wax that you apply on the front of your RV. With this special wax you will see 2-3 MPG improvement over what you are getting now. This is a limited time offer. But wait.. there is more.

I agree with a above poster. If there was a product that would increase their milage by as little as .3 MPG the would jump on it. Can you imagine the amount of fuel a fleet of truck use and the milage that they travel. A $1,000 purchase would be a no brainer.

Put me down for two cans of wax.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two cans !! Wow.. Just so you know they are $750.00 a can. Maybe I can work out free shipping for you since you are buying two cans
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I will buy a couple of cans and put it on the race car also. When I first started to fly in the Navy we used to wax our airplanes to help in fuel efficiency.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One can is for the RV the other is to wax up the bottom of my saucer. *With the snow we are doing a little sledding up here in the mountains and i want to pick up some speed.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post

Gene, Put me in for a can as well. The check is in the mail!

I waxed the roof of my motorhome last year and I bet I picked up about .5% increased fuel mileage. With your new stuff, I bet I get up to .8%
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
There are gains to be had from all these Diesel engines. Most times getting more power means more fuel. The more fuel you put in causes more heat. If you have the proper gauges and watch very closely how you drive it, it can work. You get someone who doesn't know or care and engine life will suffer. These Engines are designed to run at the level they leave the factory at for just that reason.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #24

Ain't no majic plug in bullet (gas or diesel) for increased fuel mileage. If you like to tinker you can make more HP/torque how much you get depends on how much you spend. Best thing you can do is watch your right foot, keep your tires at proper air pressure. In the end on a 1000 mile trip how much diffrence does 1-2 mpg make.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I believe 5star tuning specializes in Ford chassis. Increases hp/torque... which might translate into a slight mpg improvement.
5 star tunner is great,I bought 1 and istalled in just a few min,best money ever spent,the coach is a pleasure to drive now,don't listen to someone that thinks they know what their talking about,listen to someone that has done it,I was told 1-1 1/2 mpg gain,that is what I got,don't buy it just for the mpg gains,buy it for the overall gain
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, but a lot of us do know what we are talking about and I have done it a lot more than one vehicle. I put a Banks kit on my previous diesel MH and got a big increase in power but my MPG went down. I put a reprogrammer on a Ford F-350 diesel that pulls a race car trailer and had an increase in power at wide open throttle but no gain in MPG. Changed the chip in my BMW 7 series and had the same thing happen saw a change in power but mpg went down changed the chip back to the stock BMW chip and got my mpg back. I did this twice to verify the changes in mpg. It was plainly visible the loss in MPG on the onboard computer. Like I said if you could do something that simple to change the MPG then it would be already incorporated in that motor from the factory.

Here is another interesting fact. On a reprogramming a gasoline motor it does not change the air fuel ratio at a steady speed because that is totally electronically controlled by the oxygen sensor and the ECU and remains at 14.7:1 air fuel ratio. If it deviates from that the vehicle will fail emissions and also the company that makes the reprogrammer will be fined by the federal government and because of that those chips/reprogrammers only make a difference under Wide Ope Throttle.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
On my old girl I have had a couple of people suggest a K&N Engineering system for my breather; again the claim is more power and mileage. What's this august groups opinion on these pricey units?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Mercedes has come out with a new aerodynamic tractor/trailer combination in Europe that they say helps and it is being tested now. It gets rid of that gap between the tractor and the trailer and smoothes out the whole rig. It uses skirts over the tires like back in the fifties. .
Nothing new there, Penske did that (including the multi-year study) over twenty years ago. A lot more factors are part of that evaluation and decision than just the MPG improvement.

Tags
fuel