Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

This Mecedes Benz aerodynamic truck design was for MPG and not other factors. What is hard to believe is that it still has a flat front end.
Efficient Utilitarian Truck Looks Good | New Energy and Fuel

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I put an ultrapower tuner from brazels on a 99 2 valve v10. One big difference that could have helped mileage was changing the shift scheme of the trans, making it stay in overdrive more, and generally shift sooner. These things could have increased mileage. Don't know, never check my mileage. Power increase was great, driveability even better.

But this 2 valve 99 was a whole different animal than the new 3 valve engines. Talk to brazels or 5 star, but I don't think Ford left as much on the table.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Sorry, but a lot of us do know what we are talking about and I have done it a lot more than one vehicle. I put a Banks kit on my previous diesel MH and got a big increase in power but my MPG went down. I put a reprogrammer on a Ford F-350 diesel that pulls a race car trailer and had an increase in power at wide open throttle but no gain in MPG. Changed the chip in my BMW 7 series and had the same thing happen saw a change in power but mpg went down changed the chip back to the stock BMW chip and got my mpg back. I did this twice to verify the changes in mpg. It was plainly visible the loss in MPG on the onboard computer. Like I said if you could do something that simple to change the MPG then it would be already incorporated in that motor from the factory.

Here is another interesting fact. On a reprogramming a gasoline motor it does not change the air fuel ratio at a steady speed because that is totally electronically controlled by the oxygen sensor and the ECU and remains at 14.7:1 air fuel ratio. If it deviates from that the vehicle will fail emissions and also the company that makes the reprogrammer will be fined by the federal government and because of that those chips/reprogrammers only make a difference under Wide Ope Throttle.
Actually, you sound a lot more like a 'parts replacer' (assuming that you did the installations yourself) then someone who understands engine mapping management.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
In Australia I own and operate over 100 trucks mainly short haul.
One of my mates similarly does long haul.
He has speed limited his trucks to 50 miles per hr. (80km/hr)
He claims that gives him 2 free trucks per year. The savings are in fuel firstly then tyres then r & m.

Mike Canter is completely correct. The engine companies are in direct competition with each other. Features and benefits are compared by vehicle manufacturers and fleet operators alike. If it were possible to improve fuel economy with available technology it would be done.
Unfortunately there are scammers selling little black boxes, potions and the only way they work is the driver subconsciously eases up on the throttle.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have put two Banks systems on two very different MH's. The first was a 1998 Santara 35' with 460, real improvement in driveability, not much, if any change in fuel mileage but I used the extra power too.
Next one is our present 2002 DSDP with Cummins ISC. Again a very noticeable change in power and not much difference in MPG. But I can't measure fuel to the .001 gallon like Banks can.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #34

I have done a couple dozen GM trucks with tuners, cams, headers, air intakes, complete exhaust systems, they all make more power, and make more noise, what they don't do is gain more MPG. Even if you gain 1-2 mpg increase it will take you years to recover the cost of these systems. in the end it takes X amount of fuel to make X amount of HP/torque to move X amount of weight. As I said if you like to tinker and have the $$$ the results can be interesting.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best way to not worriy about mpg is to not drive one of these things to begin with. That removes alot of stress!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #36

I am in the heavy haul trucking business, and can say that tgese guys trying to sell you a chip or whatever will do nothing in the big picture. You either have to drive your vehicle within the parameters that your engine/trans was designed to do, or open your wallet and have your powertrain tuned to how you want it to run. Sure, I could have my Cummins 600 Signature turned up for more HP, but everything down to gearing has a huge impact on your fuel economy.
Although I am new to the RV thing, I think it will help if folks think not just in terms of fuel mileage but the overall picture, mainly, does your rig make you happy? We are averaging 2.8MPG in our fleet but its what it takes to get the job done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120206_055901.png
Views:	52
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	17724  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #37

How about the K&M air filter on the V-10 engine. Anyone done that and has MPG differences to report? I've put KM on my cars--very little if any difference, but those engines are smaller.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #38

[QUOTE="JimM68"]I put an ultrapower tuner from brazels on a 99 2 valve v10. One big difference that could have helped mileage was changing the shift scheme of the trans, making it stay in overdrive more, and generally shift sooner. These things could have increased mileage. Don't know, never check my mileage. Power increase was great, driveability even better

Exactly
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #39

Gas mileage?? It is what it is. Since we fulltime and aren't in a big hurry to get anywhere, I just lock down the cruise control to 55mph on our DSDP...kick back and enjoy the scenery.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Just something to add here on driving 55 mph. On both DPs I have owned if I drive 55 then the transmission will stay in 5th gear and mpg will suffer. So you need to make sure you are in 6th gear. Two ways that I found how to do that was to always have the ECON Mode LED on so it changed the shift schedule and the other way was to speed up to 57-58 mph first then let it shift into 6th then slow down to 55 mph. You have to be careful that it doesn't downshift without you knowing it. I find it easy to drive 58 mph then I don't worry about it. Another problem I came across was that my speedometer used to be 2 mph slow which made it stay in 5th more.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Mike is 100% correctg in saying that it will always take "x" amount of HP to move a particularr heavy square box down the road at "y" speed.

Those who say slowing down will get you better mileage are the ones who r correct, but i'lll still drive 65 to 70....

And again, anything that makes more power (and assuming it is gearheads doing the buying) will result in that more Power being usewd, and this is gonna use more fuel.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Ok ... I buy 100 gallons of fuel... I go 750 miles for $395... or I spent ???? to get 8.25mpg and go 825 miles for $395 .....We are talking MAX.... 75 miles per tank...or am I missing something... I do very fuzzy math... D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel