Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm like everyone else, I want to get as good of fuel mileage as I can, but I didn't buy the MH based on terrific fuel mileage. I probably getting (I don't track it that close) around 7.5. I used to have a Ford PU that didn't do much better. It got maybe 10 on the road if you babied it and didn't have a house on its' back. I'm not a diesel mechanic or engineer (actually I not any kind of mechanic or engineer) but I think my little CAT 350 C7 does a terriffic job carrying over 15 tons and dragging 3 more. Like me if it's got to work it's got eat. Unlike it, I have to eat wether I work or not. I wouldn't mind trying one of those kits to "dial up the HP" a little but I not unsatisfied with what I have.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #44

I think most of us that add programmers are looking for more power and hopefully not worse mileage. I got that with my MP_8. It is not hard to get more power out of a turbocharged diesel engine and they take it just fine. The big reason big fleets don't use them is warrantee. There are thousands of independent truckers using the MP-8 hauling freight every day. The one issue if you care is with most programmers the engine will no longer pass the emissions test. I don't care there is no testing here.

Jim

Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Ok ... I buy 100 gallons of fuel... I go 750 miles for $395... or I spent ???? to get 8.25mpg and go 825 miles for $395 .....We are talking MAX.... 75 miles per tank...or am I missing something... I do very fuzzy math... D
why do people waste the money on new mh when the old 1 will do the same job?
and I hope no one really believes that any engine from the factory is the best it can be
I replaced the exhaust manifolds on my v-10 and they had the ports choaked down to half the size of the heads
to the op call mike at 5 star he will explain and answer any questions you have
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Flasher, you will find that the big diesels made by CAT, Cummins, and Detroit are in a totally different class than a Ford V-10. Not sure why Ford does that on their factory exhaust manifolds but they do the same thing on their Mustang 4.6 dual OHC SVT motors also. There must be some logic behid it such as exhaust gas velocity or something like that. Shouldn't make that much difference driving at a steady speed down the road because it is not pumping that much through the motor but it sure will at wide open throttle. On nitrous and prostock non supercharged motor you can put too big of diameter exhaust on them and loose horsepower. On a supercharged motor we put the biggest we can get on just to get the gas out of there. We have actually found that D shaped exhaust ports flow better than round exhaust ports and look to be half the diameter.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Lots of discussion on here over the last few months. My take-away from them is that you'll never recoup your investment in fuel savings, but you'll get more power. If I could buy one that would get me 12mpg and keep the same power, I'd buy tomorrow.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Flasher, you will find that the big diesels made by CAT, Cummins, and Detroit are in a totally different class than a Ford V-10. Not sure why Ford does that on their factory exhaust manifolds but they do the same thing on their Mustang 4.6 dual OHC SVT motors also. There must be some logic behid it such as exhaust gas velocity or something like that. Shouldn't make that much difference driving at a steady speed down the road because it is not pumping that much through the motor but it sure will at wide open throttle. On nitrous and prostock non supercharged motor you can put too big of diameter exhaust on them and loose horsepower. On a supercharged motor we put the biggest we can get on just to get the gas out of there. We have actually found that D shaped exhaust ports flow better than round exhaust ports and look to be half the diameter.
yes I know they are,we use to have a cat but I thought this thread was about the v-10,post #1
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #49

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Lots of discussion on here over the last few months. My take-away from them is that you'll never recoup your investment in fuel savings, but you'll get more power. If I could buy one that would get me 12mpg and keep the same power, I'd buy tomorrow.
We gained HP and torque with the Banks without losing mileage, so it's close to your ideal. Now, if I didn't use the extra I'd probably gain MPG too.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
I am working on a special formula of wax that you apply on the front of your RV. With this special wax you will see 2-3 MPG improvement over what you are getting now. This is a limited time offer. But wait.. there is more.

Good One!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
2011 Entegra, 6.7 Cummins ISB engine with the SCR system=11.4 MPG avg over 400 miles @ 61 mph. Coach weighs 39,000# (no hills, no toad).
I am a happy camper!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

So mccsix is this a bone stock Cummins motor without any reprogramming or anything? At 39,000 lbs and 11.4 MPG you must have had the wind behind you the whole time. If that is so I am impressed. So that was just half a tank of gas? Does the MH have an onboard computer that calculates MPG or did you compute that yourself? What have you averaged on previous trips?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
I am working on a special formula of wax that you apply on the front of your RV. With this special wax you will see 2-3 MPG improvement over what you are getting now. This is a limited time offer. But wait.. there is more....

s.
If the "more" is one of the 300 MPG carburetors that the oil companies bought up all the patents for 50 years ago......

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

I remember that urban legend. It was on a Chevy 283 motor and claimed big time MPG. Those darn oil companies. Kind of like the Honda Civic Hybrid.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wind was on the side, 3/4 down to 1/2 tank. The 11.4 came from the computers avg trip mpg and verified at my next fill up, miles covered vs gal to fill. I was on I-10 from Pensacola to Tallahassee to Brooksville Fl for the SEA FMCA rally.
I was totally amazed.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #56

If you are looking for a "magic pill" to just help with MPG increase on a motorhome, you aren't really going to find one. The three biggest things one can do, to help in MPG, is staying light on throttle when cruising, keeping your engine tuned/running properly, and proper tire inflation.
YOu have to drive your rig and see what speeds, and amount of throttle to get to speed do best. There are so many different engine/transmission/gearing/tire size configurations and a set speed does not work for all. One can have an identical rig as the guy next to him and the mpg will not be the same, The weight one is carrying, the way one drives, speed one drives, all have a bearing.
Now, as far as tuners. I have been involved in tuning for many years. Performance vehicles and motorcycles. Ones that claim your MPG will increase X amount, I am sorry, are false! You tune for one reason, performance. At no time has tuning increased my mileage, unless I leaned the mixture out, which is not something you want to do. What it can do is give you more power/torque, and change shifting parameters. For people who want a little more power for those steeper grades there is nothing wrong with tuners. And most, I didn't say all, will keep your MPG at normal cruising speeds. For the most part it is just when you get to 75%-80% throttle position (open Loop) will it revert to the maps on your computer, put in from the tuner, for your power when you need it. There are some improvements that can be tuned in the "closed loop" side, but wont help much in MPG.
It is all in what one wants, but do not look for big gains in MPG from a tuner or any other type "device". It just isn't going to help very much at all.

Tags
fuel