Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

Better MPG

Hello to All. We have a 2000 Fleetwood Southwind 36t with a Triton V10 with 58400 Miles. Does anone have an idea on how to improve MPG.? I run synthetic oil in engine and trans. also correct tire pressure,and keep speed at a minimum when possible. Are the air systems and increasing exhaust pipe worth while, or one of many chips [Bully Dog, ETC.] worth while ?? ANY IDEAS ?? I pull a Jeep G.C. 4x4. Mabey i should try pushing insead of towing.!!! THANKS To All

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Fusion View Post
Hello to All. We have a 2000 Fleetwood Southwind 36t with a Triton V10 with 58400 Miles. Does anone have an idea on how to improve MPG.? I run synthetic oil in engine and trans. also correct tire pressure,and keep speed at a minimum when possible. Are the air systems and increasing exhaust pipe worth while, or one of many chips [Bully Dog, ETC.] worth while ?? ANY IDEAS ?? I pull a Jeep G.C. 4x4. Mabey i should try pushing insead of towing.!!! THANKS To All

You didn't say what you are getting, may want to look through this thread and see how you compare Ford F53 Fuel Mileage what's yours

Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe you could rig the Jeep with electric controls like a train and have the Jeep push part of the time.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

How fast do you go? 60-65 seems to get me where I want to go and helps with the MPG.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just in case you are going by your 2000 Ford manual. Ford updated their oil specs after 2000 for all V10's. Was 5w30, is now 5w20. That will help a minute amount. Otherwise, it sounds you are doing everything right.

Generally speaking, everything I've ever read on V10 MH mpg is, all these mods out there that are available, never pay for themselves. Many of course like the increased torque, throttle response or whatever, so are happy with the $$$ outlay. I got the 5 Star Tune - Ford V10 I like the increased performance, but more specifically it got rid of the annoying downshifting on mild grades. Cost was $400, no increase in mpg but no lose either with better performance. So I am happy. The best and cheapest way to regulate mpg is in the ol' right foot.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless my math is fuzzy if you go from 6 to 7 mpg (a good increase) and gas is four bucks a gallon you will save around $96. over a thousand miles. Less if gas is less.

So in that scenario if you spend 400 bucks you break even after 4000 miles, if you realize a hypothetical 14% increase in mpg. If you do not increase mpg then you spent 400 bucks maybe more to have a louder muffler.

If that does not look right to you then do your own comps, but the point is can you realistically save enough on gas to compensate for the amount you will spend to save it?

Many of these improvements are not guaranteed to save, some do some don't; some say they do but don't. So how much are you willing to risk to take the chance on saving fuel. Relieving back pressure works but how much? Chips work, but I hear all sorts of comments about more power but no fuel savings? I also hear the opposite power and fuel savings. You just do not know for sure what you will get.

LIghtening your load a bit and dropping another 5 mph might work just as well.

It seems to me you are doing the smart things, maintaining your rig, driving slower, tire pressure etc; so maybe it is what it is.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #7

A 36 foot box pulling a jeep GC is like the perfect storms for a gas drinking monster. Just take it slow and easy, and maybe the five star tune. I did this on my monster and it seems to help a little on gas as it keeps the rpms down some. Mine does best when it is parked. So travel a little and park a lot. I got 5 to 6 mpg recently doing a lot of boondocking and running genny pretty hard. It is what it is. It's not a Prius by a long shot!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The only way you're going to increase fuel mileage is to slow down. That includes entering and exiting off ramps (when safe) at a slower speed and easy throttle ups. The difference between driving 60 and 65 mph is almost 1 mpg. Some just don't want to go that slow. ESTIMATE ONLY...On a 300 mile trip at 65 mph it will take you about 4 hours and 40 minutes to drive non-stop. At 7.5 mpg you'll burn about 40 gals of fuel. At 60 mph, it will take you 5 hours to get there and you'll use about 36 gallons of fuel. For most this is would be a days drive. By slowing down 5 mph, you save about $16.00 in fuel and 40 minutes longer. At the end of the day, some just aren't willing to slow down for $16.00 and burn another 40 minutes.

When I enter a freeway on ramp and traffic is light, I throttle up gently to about 45-50 mph and set the cruise control. I then just bump it one mph every f3-4 seconds until I hit the speed I'm after, rather than throttle up and back off.

Again, if traffic is light behind me, I kick the coach out of cruise control a little farther back than I would with a car and coast down the off ramp. Saves brakes and fuel.

I run my cruise all the time and do most of my driving by just bumping up or down the cruise control. On long downhills, I throttle up some with just my foot to make up time, knowing my mpg is great going down hills.

We get great mileage for a DP, but my coach is short and light with a big motor. Slowing from 63/65 down to 58/59 has gained us one mpg.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #9

You can get REALLY GOOD mileage if you don't drive anywhere.
The Devil made me say it.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
The only way you're going to increase fuel mileage is to slow down. That includes entering and exiting off ramps (when safe) at a slower speed and easy throttle ups. The difference between driving 60 and 65 mph is almost 1 mpg. Some just don't want to go that slow. ESTIMATE ONLY...On a 300 mile trip at 65 mph it will take you about 4 hours and 40 minutes to drive non-stop. At 7.5 mpg you'll burn about 40 gals of fuel. At 60 mph, it will take you 5 hours to get there and you'll use about 36 gallons of fuel. For most this is would be a days drive. By slowing down 5 mph, you save about $16.00 in fuel and 40 minutes longer. At the end of the day, some just aren't willing to slow down for $16.00 and burn another 40 minutes.

When I enter a freeway on ramp and traffic is light, I throttle up gently to about 45-50 mph and set the cruise control. I then just bump it one mph every f3-4 seconds until I hit the speed I'm after, rather than throttle up and back off.

Again, if traffic is light behind me, I kick the coach out of cruise control a little farther back than I would with a car and coast down the off ramp. Saves brakes and fuel.

I run my cruise all the time and do most of my driving by just bumping up or down the cruise control. On long downhills, I throttle up some with just my foot to make up time, knowing my mpg is great going down hills.

We get great mileage for a DP, but my coach is short and light with a big motor. Slowing from 63/65 down to 58/59 has gained us one mpg.
20 mins longer
Old 10-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did anyone think about NOT pulling a heavy toad as away to increase gas mileage? I was getting 9.5 MPG pulling a 800# motorcycle on a 300# trailer. I'm going to a hitch motorcycle carrier with a 300# motorcycle, added some aerodynamics and a 5 Star tuner in search of 10 mpg.
Get serious and you can get better gas mileage.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Did anyone think about NOT pulling a heavy toad as away to increase gas mileage? I was getting 9.5 MPG pulling a 800# motorcycle on a 300# trailer. I'm going to a hitch motorcycle carrier with a 300# motorcycle, added some aerodynamics and a 5 Star tuner in search of 10 mpg.
Get serious and you can get better gas mileage.
If you have not already done so, go to Blue Ox's site and do the calculations on the hitch mount weight ramifications. Really a worry with an extended frame RV.