Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #1

Better ride?

Due to a blowout Ive decided to replace the 5 remaining tires. The replacement tire for the tire which blew is a G rated tire. All others on the MH now are F rated, 245/70/19.5.

My question: Per Goodyears inflation charts and my weights I should be fine running about 90 PSI in the front and 85 PSI on the rears. The max pressure for the Gs is 110 and for the Fs is 95. Since my inflation requirements are 85 & 90, I see no reason to run higher pressure. Should I get a softer ride running 85-90 in the Gs than the same pressure in the Fs which have a max pressure rating of 95? I called Goodyear and their response was to always run the max, 110 which I fell sure is not correct.

Thanks,
RJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #2

Tire info

RJEV, you need to weigh the motorhome at each wheel position to determine how much air to put in each tire. Tire companies have load charts for each tire they make and you should weigh all four tire positions; front left and right, rear duals left and right, then look on the load chart for inflation at that weight. The coach should be full of fuel, water and supplies the way you normally travel. Most coaches are weighed at the factory and the weights and tire pressures will be listed somewhere inside the coach. This is done without any fuel or supplies and would be to low for most cases. The pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire is the maximum pressure the tire is designed for. If you overinflate you will wear out the center of the tire, underinflation can cause overheating, coach sway and uneven wear and possibly a blowout. Hope this helps. DACOTAH

Old 02-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
Due to a blowout Ive decided to replace the 5 remaining tires. The replacement tire for the tire which blew is a G rated tire. All others on the MH now are F rated, 245/70/19.5.

My question: Per Goodyears inflation charts and my weights I should be fine running about 90 PSI in the front and 85 PSI on the rears. The max pressure for the Gs is 110 and for the Fs is 95. Since my inflation requirements are 85 & 90, I see no reason to run higher pressure. Should I get a softer ride running 85-90 in the Gs than the same pressure in the Fs which have a max pressure rating of 95? I called Goodyear and their response was to always run the max, 110 which I fell sure is not correct.

Thanks,
RJ
I don't know who you talked to at Goodyear, but you would think that they knew what they are talking about. I was told to run my MH tires [Michelin] just short of max. Not to go off the issue, but I have Bridgestone 32" tires on my Jeep and I had heard so many different things about air pressure that I called them. They suggested airing them half-way between the door sticker PSI and Max on the tire. They said that this was for road use and not off-road. I got 45,000 miles on the tires doing that. I could have gotten another five to ten thousand, but I like more tread even though they were not near the wear bars.

I know...I am going to get chastised for not weighing the MH, but this is what I was told. The tire companies, like Michelin, talk about weighing the coach in all their info, BUT when you call and talk to a rep you get a different story.

I also spent some time experimenting with what I read online for optimizing tire pressure at this link and I got very close to the same result as I got above.
Optimizing Tire Pressure

Am I going to get it now!!! Happy trails, Joe
Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not that it means anything, but I have Toyo R122s and I run 100 in the front and 110 on the rears.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I dont think the ride will be any softer , or if you would even notice a difference , the G being higher rated , will have a somewhat stronger sidewall to accommodate the higher rating