Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've gotten a couple of bikes to use while RVing and looking for pro's-con's of motorhome ladder rack vs. rack in hitch receiver on the TOAD.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
We've gotten a couple of bikes to use while RVing and looking for pro's-con's of motorhome ladder rack vs. rack in hitch receiver on the TOAD.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Gary, We got into the bike business this season and after playing around with several versions, I found this One the best bang for the buck. Put it on the back of your toad, it is very easy to hook and unhook the bikes. Several of the carriers I tried out required bungie cords to keep the bikes in place and also ran the risk of the bikes rubbing against each other.By it being on the back of the toad, you can take the bikes to other destinations other than the campground, it is out of the way when hooking up the toad to the coach and if you decide to go camping without the toad, just remove the tow bar and put the bike carrier on the back of the coach.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
cwg

I bicycle quite a lot, and have carried many bikes many miles, both racing and recreational... from my experience a back rack either on top of, or behind a tow vehicle is much more substantial than the ladder carriers.

There are pros and cons as to each, but if the rear RV ladder is heavy duty, it is sometimes more easy to hang them on it. Also, the overall length of the rv and tow is not extended with a ladder rack. Regardless, with good bikes both carriers get the cycles very dirty, affecting performance. Security is also a separate issue. I generally prefer to carry my bicycles inside the tow vehicle if possible.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

I generally carry my bikes on a hitch mounted bike rack and even if I had a ladder I don't much like them....Visions in my mind of the ladder and the bikes bouncing down the road seem to scare me...
If I paid what Chuck paid for his tandem,I'd put IT on the bed IN the coach!
rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
cwg

That is actually where most of my bikes rest---on the bed. I put down some old sheets and protect the bedspread from the grime and grit of the bikes.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
OK, then it will be a TOAD hitch mounted rack. I've got a folding bike that will fit inside the TOAD, got the DW a new comfort bike, and I have an older hybrid that I might like to carry along at times.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #8

I have a Swagman carrier that I purchased from CW that I really like. It mounts in the hitch and has a push button lock that attaches into a 6" vertical receiver. The main tube carrier can be completely removed easily and stored leaving only the 6" vertical part on the vehicle. It holds the bikes by the cross bar and has a plate that locks them in place.

I think is was about $100. Good rack.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SargeW:
I have a Swagman carrier that I purchased from CW that I really like. It mounts in the hitch and has a push button lock that attaches into a 6" vertical receiver. The main tube carrier can be completely removed easily and stored leaving only the 6" vertical part on the vehicle. It holds the bikes by the cross bar and has a plate that locks them in place.

I think is was about $100. Good rack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the one I have except it mounts on the toad draw bar instead of in the receiver and it has held up just fine for about two years.
Two things to note though. Keep the push button lock shaft and the threads on the clamp knobs well lubricated - they can rust and get very difficult to pop out or unscrew.

I also got the Swagman bike cover to give the bikes some protection while traveling.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #10

In response to the ladder rack...problem is that the bikes hang out over the side of the mh. I recently clipped a guard rail with my bike, and it ripped the whole (fiberglass) rear end off of the mh. Costs a pretty penny to replace the entire rear cap!!! If the bike hadn't been on the ladder rack, it would not have happened. I won't be hanging a bike rack on my ladder ever again!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I was pulled over by a state trooper last month because our bikes were blocking his view of our lic plate. I had the bikes upside down on a hitch mounted bike rack. I now remove the seats before mounting the bikes.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #12

That's good info on the push button lubrication. I need to keep up with that.

Thats a bummer about your end cap! I always wondered if something like that could happen. I had a ladder mount rack on the 5ver for 3 years but I never really liked the look of it.

The bikes covering the license plate is also an issue, as Steve found out. I considered the bag for the bikes as well, but it would effectively block the license plate, but also the brake lights. I figure I will just have to clean em now and then (that is my mission in life anyways is cleaning the MH, Jeep, and everything else!)

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote