Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cool Big Coach Owners

For all of you with large coaches, greater than 43'.... do you find it difficult to find RV parks or CG's that you can fit?

We're looking at a 45 footer and trying to determine how difficult it will be to find areas to stay. We previously owned a 37' class A and had little difficulty with parking.

Thanks for your insights!
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
All depends on where you wish to stay. Which our trailer we were 63' long and I detested dropping it, unlocking. We found in the western states we could in all but a handful of occations find a RV park where we wanted to be. If national or state you will have a problem as well as national forest CG's, and that is why we went from 40' to 31'. We are long time part time as in months at a time.

LEN
Old 05-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Our Endeavor is 44' tip to tail - so we have to consider our size when planning our trips.

When making reservations in state parks - you'll find that the number of sites that you'll fit on is limited. For example, when we're looking in the reservation system at a state park with a 100 sites ... it's common to find that only 15-20 will accept a rig greater than 40'.

We have also found some parks that simply can't accommodate us - however, the couple of times we weren't able to fit - we were able to find another park in the same area in which we could fit.

In our experience, we've found that being longer than 40' is something that we have to always keep in mind - BUT, that it has yet to impose any sort of insurmountable limits on our travels. If you're hoping to spend time in tight state forest campgrounds that are built with tents, pop-ups and similar "smaller" rigs in mind, you're going have troubles - however, if you're planning to hang out in places where 40' coaches are found ... the extra few feet likely won't be a huge limitation for you.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We are "campgrounders", Thousand Trails, KOA, etc. For us, it's not that it's hard to find long spots, it's just a matter of getting them early. In a lot of the campgrounds that we visit, the larger the pad, the fewer they have (?supply and demand?). So when we wait longer than the norm to schedule a stay somewhere, it does become a little harder. However, we have also stayed at "resorts" and find that they are a lot more big rig friendly. There are also exceptions to every rule. A lot of people will say that state parks are not big rig friendly, but we found McFarland Park in Florence, Alabama absolutely lovely!

EDIT: It looks like Norman and I were replying at the same time, but basically saying the same thing.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
I'm on the same page as DeWat. The spaces are out there, you just have to reserve them earlier. I've found that reserving for a 42' is easier than a 45'er, so my Eagle has becomes "shorter".
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #6

Always call ahead and find out if a campground can accommodate you. So many older campgrounds were created when "camping" meant tents, popups and travel trailers. For example we are currently at Cherrystone in Cape Charles, Va which expanded a few years ago to accommodate big rigs with pull throughs. 80% of the sites cannot fit a Class A motorhome.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In some cases it isn't the site length, its the road width and curve radius of the roads in the park to get to the sites.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #8

With our trailer, we are 75' long and our sons Mountain Aire w/trailer is the same. We travel from WI to the western states and have always found an RV resort to take us in. Some of the sites are 80-100' long. More and more parks are making more longer sites to accommodate the longer units. Just call ahead when you know where you want to stop. A 45' coach will be a breeze in most rv parks. State parks will be more difficult, but some are doable.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
It does take a little more planning. RV parks are generally not a problem. However, if you like to get out in the NF or BLM's, it can be a little more challenging. If they are reservable, you can plan ahead. Some times, the walk-in sites do not discriminate and there may be a tent or pop-up parked in the 75' long site. We recently stayed at a BLM in Moab and watched as somel tenters occupied a very large site (80'+), while several Class A's came in looking and were turned away to go look elsewhere. In that case it doesn't matter if you are 35' or 45' long.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We don't boondock at all. We have never had a big hassle finding a place usually. The exceptions being the major holiday weekends. But you can always find a place to stay.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #11

I have a little coach, only 41', had a 36' before this one. Just in that 5 feet I lost some options. Just have to plan ahead a little more. I did some checking at the places I frequent and my options shrunk a lot if I went over 40'. I find I still need a place to park my truck also. I like to keep it in the site with me. On longer trips I find pull thru's for the night most of the time. Pretty common to find 75'. I see longer coaches but there are fewer sites able to accommodate them. I decided to stay a little shorter but there are sites out there.