Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #1

Well, since this is our first motorhome....and we're not accustomed to all the bells and whistles which it provides, my husband and I were wondering ......after we activate our Big foot stabilizer in the automatic mode, and it performs it's diagnostics, etc......do we leave it in the "on" position...or turn it "off"? Also, do any of you ever stabilize your steps in any way while camped? My husband and I each only weigh about 160 pounds....but when we step on the stairs, they do have a "spring" to them. We just purchased a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer, 30 foot. Thank you for your help! As you can tell, we're former tenters, pop-up people and travel trailer folk.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #2

Well, since this is our first motorhome....and we're not accustomed to all the bells and whistles which it provides, my husband and I were wondering ......after we activate our Big foot stabilizer in the automatic mode, and it performs it's diagnostics, etc......do we leave it in the "on" position...or turn it "off"? Also, do any of you ever stabilize your steps in any way while camped? My husband and I each only weigh about 160 pounds....but when we step on the stairs, they do have a "spring" to them. We just purchased a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer, 30 foot. Thank you for your help! As you can tell, we're former tenters, pop-up people and travel trailer folk.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hello SewBzzzy,
Sorry that you don't have a reply yet. My RV has Power Gear jacks and because I have a diesel it is on a heavier chassis and dosen't move as much when leveled. But let's give it a try.

I turn my jack system on until the coach is level. Then I turn it off until I need to retract the jacks. I do not stabilize my steps. I weigh about 170 pounds and a couple of years ago was at 236 pounds. Yes, the steps move slightly but not enough to do anything about. I suspect that you have a set of Kwikee electric steps, as everybody seems to have them. If so, they probably are also tied into your ignition, so that if your key is turned on your steps and your jacks will both retract. Stabilizing your steps would interfere with that function. Get a can of "Kwikee Lube" from your RV dealer and lube your steps every couple of months. It sprays on like a liquid and turns to a grease in about 5 minutes. Lack of lubrication or a poor ground for the step system account for about 90% of step problems.

Enjoy your new RV and all it's goodies. Everything sounds normal.

Green lights and soft breezes,
Old 04-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #4

Thank you so much, Roland, for your reply. Yes, the steps do interact with the ignition.....another fancy treat that we're not accustomed to! LOL! Yes, we have already purchased some lubrication for the steps as the seller/dealer instructed us. We just took our "beauty" out for it's first adventure and LOVED it!! We did turn our "big foot" to the off position when it finished leveling. That's about the coolest thing I've ever seen! My husband and I can't wait to go our for a longer weekend in two weeks. Thank you again for your help! We have so much to learn!
Shelley
Old 05-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #5

We have the Bigfoot levelers on a 32 foot class C.

Each of the four legs (leveling jacks) will go down in pairs (in Auto mode); front first then the rear and will then jog until you are level.

Be aware that the system will adjust to the "level" that was programmed into it. If you see you are not level consistently then you will need to reprogram it to "level". The manual will show you how to do this. Also, level to your refrigerator not the floor or a counter top.

As for the step "giving" when you step on it...I am over 220# and it will give a few inches when I step down on it. So far it is just fine...just have to get used to it.

Forgot to add that we shut off the engine and then turn on the power for the Bigfoot system. Wait for it to finish (bigfoot foot print lights up and stays lit) then we turn off the main power. You can leave it on and it will continue to adjust as you go out of level on soft ground. It is up to you.