Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Big Motorhome Dealers?

We want to trade up, but searching for "just the right bus" is tremendously hard. Looking at little pictures on the computer screen does little other than identify floorplans that might be suitable...
We need to see, feel, and drive them.
Most of the dealers around here are small, with only a few DP's in stock anyway.

We want to hop in our "tradein" and go somewhere no more than a day away, and just stay there until we find and but "just the right bus."

Someplace like Lazydays or PPL, where they have many dozens of choices.

Where is a big RV dealer closer?
Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Iiowa, Michigan?
Where?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JimM68,
In Tennessee consider Buddy Greg in Knoxville. Go to Buddy Gregg Motor Homes & RV | Tennessee & Texas RV Dealer and Service Center and take a look. The Sevierville/Pigeon Forge area is about 40 miles away. For a luxury bus, consider staying at Hidden Mountain Resort, The Dell. It is on the boarder of Sevierville and Pigeon Forge. Go to The Dell, a Class A Motorcoach Resort: Smokey Mountains, Tennessee and read about it. It is one mile off the "strip", near all the shows, restaurants and attractions. Great view of the Smoky Mountains

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The only place I've ever been, not saying there not be others, that meets your criteria, is Lazydays, near Tampa Fl. You can check out their web site to see if they carry what you're looking for before you make the trip. If so, you could spend a week going from rig to rig. They're all open for viewing. Might be worth the trip.

Lazydays RV - Number One In RVs (Gas & Diesel Motor homes, Fifth Wheels, and Travel Trailers)

Happy hunting
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JimM68,
Even though the OP said Florida was too far, if you do go to Florida, consider North Trail RV in Ft. Myers exit 141 on I 75. Go to RV dealers Florida - motorhomes - Newmar, Tiffin, Fleetwood, Winnebago, Itasca, Keystone RV, Jayco, Pleasure Way and read about them. If you go the only person to see is Diesel Dan Cutting. He's been selling luxury coaches for his entire career. Tell him I sent you. And no I don't get anything for being a reference.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi JimM68,
... consider staying at Hidden Mountain Resort, The Dell. It is on the boarder of Sevierville and Pigeon Forge. Go to The Dell, a Class A Motorcoach Resort: Smokey Mountains, Tennessee and read about it. It is one mile off the "strip", near all the shows, restaurants and attractions. Great view of the Smoky Mountains
Nice park and the absolutely WORST on-line reservation system I've ever seen. You have to check availability by site and even when the calendar looks like there is availability, the system will say they have none. I tried several sites and different times and they all came back unavailable. I'll given then a call and see if they are more effective live.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Back to big RV dealers though. Thanks for the suggestions so far. Knoxville looks like it could be a destination, anyone else there?

Florida is far... 3 days travelling each way, 6 days on the road plus test fitting a bunch of coaches plus putting a deal together, getting financing, and getting back on the road. We have a thirteen year old who'd have to skip school to come with us :(
Old 02-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bet the 13 year old wouldn't be so sad about that.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fly to Tampa. I'd bet you they'd be happy to pick you up at the airport. Find a place near the dealer. Take photos of the trade with you. As part of the deal negotiate a 'they deliver'. We did, back in the mid 90s. Got a MUCH better deal than we could back here in WI, on exactly the RV we wanted, and they delivered it.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Fly to Tampa. .
Now that's no fun!!!!
It's the end of February in Chicago, I wanna go CAAAAMMMMPPPPPPing!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #10

Try General RV in Wixom Michigan. They operate 5 lots in the area and have about as much inventory on the ground as anybody in the eastern USA. They also carry most of the better quality manufacturer's products. www.generalrv.com
Old 02-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
For Indiana: Tom Raper RV, advertised as the biggiest dealer in the midwest. Free hot dogs & pop while you shop. However, if you've got a trade, be prepared for their below low-ball offer.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

There is no comparison between the really big dealers, like Lazydays, and the typical small city dealer. Lazydays has over 900 new and used RVs in stock on a typical day and you can't even begin to see the entire selection. There are other big dealers, but you get the idea. And Florida has a bunch of them in the Tampa area. Take a week off, fly down and enjoy. Call it a vacation if you like.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I am from Fla and went to Lazy days 3 times over a few months. First time I was interested in a new gas mh. Their online inventory showed around 10 units I wanted to see. I had my list units I wanted to see and an appointment with a salesman. Short story, salesman showed me 5 and basically said that was enough to make a choice. I was planning on paying cash so financing was not a problem. I left thinking I got a wierd salesman. Two months later after many calls from them I returned with a list of used DP's and a appointment with different salesman. Of the 11 on my list from their online inventory, he showed me 4. Basically saying same thing, this was enough for me to make a choice. I was interested in one of the units and asked if he could do a little better. He stood up thanked me for coming by and said GoodBye. Third time and I am really getting mad No list this time, why bother I am thinking. New salesman We see a DP I am interested in but he will not quote price saying someone else is interested. I leave kinda confused as in you have to have an in to buy from these people. Either that or they would be doing me a big favor to take my money. Many phone calls later from them I finally had enough of "It was a misunderstanding, come on back" and told them no more.
In my opinion, these people take high pressure sale to a new and weird high.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to consider Davis Motorhome Mart in Memphis or Kings Campers in Wausau, Wisconsin. If you do decide to go down to Lazy Days (that's where I bought my coach) ask for Greg Razinski. Tell I sent you. Before we bought, Greg spent most of several days with us and I can't count the number of coaches we looked at prior to purchase even with my shoes off. We flew in on a round trip ticket and wound up driving our new coach home.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote