Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Big Motorhome regrets???

This probably doesn't pertain to all FTers, but I have had 5 different Class A owners, over the last few months, say to me, "I wish I had gone with a coach the size of yours" (or words to that effect). Some of these guys and Gals had serious rides and one couple were full timers and I was surprised to hear those words. I have a Bounder28T, 28" 10" with no slides. Are there other folks wanting smaller motorhomes? I shopped for this size coach based on a multitude of reasons, and we love it, but it's just the two of us.
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm at 40' and there are a few places that I can't go, and some places I barely fit. I can se the added versatility of a shorter rig. But no, this rig is my last, a pre-DEF Cat C7 DP with a midship door and sweet ride.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I'm also at 40' and for full-timing we find it to be the perfect size.... Have yet to find a place we wanted to go that we wouldn't work.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #4

I have a 1988 Fleetwood gasser, calls itself 34 feet, but is almost 36 feet long. It has no slides. It is in good shape.

[moderator edit]
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

I met a woman at an RV rally in Arkansas last year that was traveling solo in a 25 class B with an electric bicycle, she also had a husband that had mostly stopped traveling, I think for health reasons, and a 40 ft diesel pusher back home on the east coast.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
We have a 42’ DP. Once and a while we have to call it a 40’ to get into some parks. Have discussed down sizing, but just can’t justify the cost of it.
It’s a 98 Cummins, so it is fully mechanical. Set up like we want, 1 slide, with new solar for boondocking.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #7

I have heard the same comments.
When we decided to full time we sold our vintage (26 year old) Damon Escaper, a 20 foot class "C", and purchased a much newer Class "A".
Just my wife and I , no pets , and we realized that full timing for us was a commitment to getting rid of most of our stuff.
Reading blog post there is a general consensus that you should buy the smallest coach you can be comfortable in. This conflicts with many people we meet that have "2 foot itis", always wanting more and most that have been doing this for a long time buy bigger coaches with each upgrade.
When we visit other coaches we notice many people have , pets and lots of stuff accumulated.
After almost 2 years on the road we have learned to live in the small space (30 foot) after leaving our 5 bedroom house on the east coast. We found the secret for us, is don't accumulate and for me avoiding clutter. We clean up every night before bed. Also if something comes in something goes out.

The biggest advantages we have found of our smaller coach:

First: we can fit into any park and any spot. Our total length towing is 40'.
Next: We went for pull through spots only, now we only choose them for overnight stops. Smaller is easier to drive.
Also: Our 30' gas coach (Ford Triton V 10) has no trouble on hills towing our Nissan Versa. I get a charge out of passing 45' DP's on hills.
Finally: The cost to purchase and maintain is significantly more as you get bigger.

These are reasons we went smaller , but I can appreciate the luxury coaches too.
To each his own, its all good.

2011 Newmar Bay Star 2901 towing 2016 Versa Note, on Acme Dolly
photobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #8

I would not get anything smaller than our Tuscany if planning on spending significant time in it

Very few places we haven't been able to get into

Dry camping is a breeze when necessary as well and you don't get cabin fever

Shorter wheel based rigs ride rougher and your storage is limited

Things to think about if full time is your thing
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Have a 40 footer two slide. Sometimes I think I should have bought the 36 with three slides.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Or a 40 with four slides???
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Our 34 foot

Our 34 foot rig with one slide is perfect for my wife, our dog and I. If we were ever to go bigger, Max would be 38 feet. We’d never go shorter.

DJ & BJ and Roxy
Old 12-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We went from a 10' camper to the 40' 4 slide tag axle DP. I've got a 30' enclosed trailer to hual mine and dads RZR in. I have to haul his as he's in a 5th wheel. My only regret is going with only 400HP. Next one will be more for towing a stacker. I'll spend about 100 hours driving this year of which 3-4 would be nicer in a smaller rig and the rest I will be much more comfortable in my big heavy stable tag axle. I've driven my uncles 30' gas and it was miserable in the wind.

Last month I came home in 50mph crosswind on I90 and was comfortable. I was following a gas 30'-ish motorhome crossing the columbia river. The wind was moving me around about 1' and on the bridge he used both lanes. I'll take the ocasional inconveinance size wise for the extra drivability and roominess. To those who are happy with smaller...great! Thats why they make so many models and price ranges.

I cant see myself ever going smaller as I love my tag. I rarely stay in parks and boon dock with the RZR. If I dealt with parks and did'nt farm and drive semi I might feel different.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #13

39' Class A with 3 slides for us. No way would I want to full time in anything smaller. We have most everything we need to live for weeks at a time. Although we've only been at this for 2 years we have never found a place that we really wanted to stay that we could not park.

This fall we traveled for several weeks with another couple in their brand new, smaller Winnebago. OMG the thing was tiny. Everything was a compromise. It got good fuel economy but other than that, No Thank You.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #14

I sold my house to go full time, and considered everything I could think of before I bought my new 24 foot Class C in 2016. It's my house, and my car, so it's the perfect size for me.
I didn't want to tow and pay another reg and ins.
Plus it's real parking lot friendly.
Great.size for 1 or 2 in my opinion.
Rollinghobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome