RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
The bigger the better - while you're parked.
Hey, that's why I drive with the slides in!

I can say that I can't tell much difference in our 45 footer vs. our previous 42 footer in living space. We now have a bath and a half that takes up that extra footage.

(To all).....As they say in the car business, buy and drive what you like.

Safe travels,
Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #16

You've giving me plenty of time to change my mind. It's relaxing to drive a long-wheelbase, short-rear overhang, plenty of torque diesel pusher. Fun to drive and plaenty of space for king bed,... it's nice. But, I still wish I had the cash to buy bigger and better.
IF I change my mind, I'll announce it.

Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
It's all a matter of opinion. Some people want to live in a 10,000 square foot home. Some people want the largest automobiles they can get and some want a massive sized motorhome.

But then you have people like me that want to go smaller with just about everything. Our automobiles are medium in size, house a lowly 1,800 square feet, and motorhome a measly 28 footer. Guess what? I wouldn't mind going even smaller. I'm all about comfort, practicality, ease of use and maintenance, efficiency, and of course, overall cost of ownership.

For our RV, a nice, comfortable rig capable of pulling the boat is what's important.
X2

We had a class A for years w/toad, and wouldn't go back. We go and park where we want, and seldom need to plan stops. We just don't need room inside the coach to run around.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #18

We just purchased our first MH this year and it's just shy of being 34'. Prior to this, we had downsized to a 26' trailer after owning a 28' trailer. If our 34' Newmar had been a foot or two longer, I don't think I would be complaining. But at this point, I'm not interested in going any bigger. BUT....after a couple of years, I could feel differently.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Hey, that's why I drive with the slides in!

I can say that I can't tell much difference in our 45 footer vs. our previous 42 footer in living space. We now have a bath and a half that takes up that extra footage.

(To all).....As they say in the car business, buy and drive what you like.

Safe travels,
Mark
Wow - a Prevost. You must have made some smart investments! Those are in a whole category of their own.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #20

I can see why the full timers want the biggest coach they can get as it's still smaller that most small apartments. OTOH most of us a part timers so don't need or want the huge beasts when we can do all we want with something in the low 30 ft or smaller range. Same thing with gas vs diesel. Do a little research and see what sells more.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Bob, I am not sure what your question is or what you are looking to get out of your post??
1st post is about regrets

2nd post is about agreeing

I am on a fact finding mission: Most people own several motorhomes over a course of time, they are the best source of information for that reason. buy asking questions I find answers. I currently have a 29 foot class A motorhome, I love having it, if I decide to buy a larger motorhome I would like to know what I would be getting it to and would I regret making the move. Large Class A motorhomes seem to rule the roost, however if someone disagrees with that, I would like to hear their story. As I have mentioned, some guys I talked to have said "they wished they had something smaller". Up to that point, my wife and I always thought we would start with something small and affordable, and get something bigger if we really loved RVing. Getting a hundred points of data is a good thing, most people are willing to give you honest feedback, some others, not so much, as you will see if you read the threads. I am fairly new to this forum, and if I was going to guess, my posts have agitated some rivals from the past and they are mistakenly thinking I have an agenda.

Long winded, but I hope this answers your question.
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #22

Foretravel Owners Club
Have a 40' with tag..It will do
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #23

Coastal Campers
We went from a 36 Journey to a 34 Journey, then a few years ago thought (knew ) we needed more power, since we tow a large off road jeep on a trailer.
There was no swaying my decision about getting as much horsepower as I wanted to afford.
We weighed the pro's and con's of a 45'.
My biggest con was last minute reservations. Our 34 could be parallel parked just about anywhere, and last minute reservations we could fit in any site anywhere. Second con was some of the places we go, can no longer accommodate a 45'. But for us, the pro's outweighed the cons, so......

I pulled the trigger on a 45' and so far 1 year, later we haven't looked back. We are NOT full time and may never be, but the room, ride and comforts of our RV is amazing... 600hp isn't a joke either. Other things to consider is place to store.. We are fortunate to have a shed in our back yard to store it, plugged in and out of the weather.
I say make a list of good and bad, see where it gets you. Ultimately, you are the only one that can make the decision what's best for your needs or wants...
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
My 40 is 12.5% easier to maneuver, no hassle or cost of a tag....
My tag is not a hassle, it is a joy. My 45 foot with tag handles better, rides better, and turns sharper that my 40 foot non-tag coach did. I can park the 45 in spaces that the 40 would not get into due to the turn radius. I would never again buy a large coach without a tag.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Our coach is 38' and is just about the right length for us. I love our bath and a half, so I probably wouldn't go smaller. Would I go bigger? Maybe. Depends on what we like if and when the next time we shop for a coach. We plan to have this one for awhile. But I still look at coaches at the RV Super Show each year in Tampa and continue to research online.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
My tag is not a hassle, it is a joy. My 45 foot with tag handles better, rides better, and turns sharper that my 40 foot non-tag coach did. I can park the 45 in spaces that the 40 would not get into due to the turn radius. I would never again buy a large coach without a tag.
I get ride and handling capabilities offered the tag, but that is offset by the additional weight of the 45. The tag has nothing to do with turn radius. Turn radius is a simple function of turn angle and wheelbase. My 40' has a wheelbase of 270". I'd bet they don't make a 45 with less than 300" wheelbase. It takes a lot sharper turn angle to offset that extra 30" of wheelbase. Also, the 45 has more overhang, front and rear, and the shorter the wheelbase for any given length, the longer the overhang, again, simple math. The 45 has a lot more space, inside and storage, and usually has those wonderful side radiators I'd almost sell my soul to have. But I don't see how it could out turn a 40.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I own a 20+ year old 28' Class C, if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd buy a brand new 28' - 30' Class C.

With the same lottery money I would remodel my 1,600 sqft house and keep it.

We like small easily managed things.

Not sure what you're trying to prove or discuss.
Well, in a nut shell: I have a small MH, thought we would go bigger, but conversation has us rethinking it. Reaching out gets feedback, feedback helps with decisions. Thanks for your feedback
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
You seem to be a fairly well balanced person, in fact so far I pretty much agree with all that you say and assessed. I try to be a perfectionist whenever and wherever possible, most of the times it works, sometime it doesn't. I ascribe that to being human. Humans are imperfect beings. That said, it took me 5 yrs of research to find our Rig. That's why we have no regrets. the 1st 8 months it was all about the floor plans and amenities and "must haves" to make it our quintessential MH. I looked at every rig Gasser and DP, every floor plan with all the all the features available, and came to the conclusion that the "Perfect" MH does not exist, at least not for us. So we had to start eliminating certain thing and compromising on others. We noticed that most of the "must haves" were not available in 29-35 footers (yes we even considered class C's). Then we went to a bunch of RV shows and expos and found that 35-39 were lacking some major features that were on our list. By that time 3-4 yrs had passed I learned about gassers and DPs, rough rides, cushy rides, track bars, sway bars, air rides and so on AND found that some floor plans were beautiful until we saw the units at a RV show and were VERY disappointed at the Quality. By Yr 5 I knew every chassis and motor with Hp of every make and model on the market from 2012 onward. Remember I, I don't want anything older than 10 yrs because some CGs have the 10 yrs rule (if your rig is over 10 yrs old you can't stay. I guess I have problems with rejection, so I'll try to take away any reason they may have to reject me. lol. The same goes for Class Cs, not all CGs allow Class Cs) also I have a "millennial" in my household so the MH "Had" to be fit for the "Gadgets of my millennial" son, he's 16 (gotta have that smart ph. gotta have that tablet, gotta have that lap top. USB port here, USB port there OMG) would be "Bored." So after learning about Chassis' and motors, we found that prices and (90% of the time, in our case) Quality just increase drastically the more Horse power you add. That was our case. We found a beautiful MH 4.5 hrs away (after searching all of the U.S.) and went up to see it. It was immaculate. When I saw the DW eyes light up when she saw the "Master" Bathroom I knew I had to make an offer. We had seen sooo many MHs and she had never mustered such a "Priceless" reaction like she did that day, so I had to consider that. So that sealed the deal.
Like in all humans our needs and wants and desires change throughout our lives, some people start small and eventually end up with 45 foot rigs. 6-7 yrs ago we wanted a 32 footer, diesel, with outside kitchen, with a bath and a half and a sectional, with slides, TVs, but those rigs pretty much don't exist. So we had to be more realistic and come to terms with what the market offered. We love what we have, no regrets.

RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes