Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We added an auxiliary fuel tank to the truck as I was tired of being ripped off by the Pilot, T/A and Flying J for fuel. Typically 20 to 30 cents more per gallon and some wanting 10 cent more per gallon to use a credit card.

The highest we saw a year ago was a Flying J in Missouri that was 50 cents more per gallon than the Walmart about 3 miles down the road.

Making a profit is one thing, but highway robbery is something else.

Use your Gas Buddy app on the cell phone.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, Gas Buddy is the best way to go.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
We used to have a Pacific Pride account, got tired of paying more for fuel plus they required us to buy so much a month and we weren't doing that much traveling so we gave it up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I'm really shocked!!
So am I. You have to ask yourself why so many trucks use Big Truck Stops? Many trucks drivers are not company drivers but independent drivers. That means they get paid by the mile or a flat rate to get a load from A to B. So, the less money they spend on fuel; the more in their pocket.

Wide variance in price might be between states - due to taxes. Or prices may be higher in a localized area within a state - due to local taxes.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #19

Price is not the only consideration. I avoid the truck stops like the plague. The diesel pumps there are the most disgusting thing I have seen. Also not having to deal with the lot lizards is another plus. Now those with a large diesel may not have many options but I can get in and out of most anyplace with the fiver.😁😁

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #20

GoodSam gets you 6-9c a gallon off at Flying J btw.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #21

Get a PenFed credit card 5% off fuel purchases.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I recently traveled from Florida to Washington State and saw as much as 50 cents difference at truck stops (highter). 30 cents was not unusual. So, I usually use gasbuddy and find a different place to stop. Have never had a problem. Seems to me it is a real ripoff. Also, if you ever come to Oregon, please check your prices carefully. The advertised truck price IS NOT your price. Add 30 cents.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We added an auxiliary fuel tank to the truck as I was tired of being ripped off by the Pilot, T/A and Flying J for fuel. Typically 20 to 30 cents more per gallon and some wanting 10 cent more per gallon to use a credit card.

The highest we saw a year ago was a Flying J in Missouri that was 50 cents more per gallon than the Walmart about 3 miles down the road.

Making a profit is one thing, but highway robbery is something else.

Use your Gas Buddy app on the cell phone.

Ken
Worked my way through college working at a 7-11. Customers always wanted to know why prices for things were so high compared to a supermarket. I thought about it a while, and finally realized what it was about the costs. It is called the cost of "convenience". Truck stops right on the interstate are definitely convenient. Everything in our society comes at a price. Convenience is just one thing that you have to pay for. Not saying it is right.

There is one gas station in Asheville that is just off I40 near the entrance to the Biltmore Estate. The cost of gas there is always at least 30 cents higher than the other gas stations 2 miles the other way down the road. It does snag a lot of tourists coming to see Biltmore. When the local tv station asked the owner why he charges so much, he told them because he could. We all have choices to make.

Sometimes I will choose to pay for convenience, sometimes not.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JFXG

Those big fleets of trucks, don't pay the posted price. they all have negotiated contract prices. And yes they save the $400K per year.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I'm seeing 10-20 cents extra at Pilot/FJ, TA, etc. vs the regular discount stations, sometimes right next to to them. And with large truck diesel lanes as well. That's along I26 & I40 ion SC and NC (mostly in SC, though). I won't drive out of my way, or risk a congested lot to save $10 on a fill-up, but many of these stations have excellent accessibility, high speed diesel pumps, and take my credit card with no hassle.

I use Gas Buddy to check around the region when I know I'm going to need fuel (we have a 150 gal tank). If in doubt, Google Earth will show me what the station and access roads look like.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Unless you know the town, and the stations in it leaving the highway to save a few cents might be worth it. If on the other hand you're not familiar with the location and the stations you might be setting yourself up for trouble just to save a few cents. Not all stations are RV or big rig friendly.

Also if you have one of the RV discount cards offered by Pilot/J you will save something which probably negates driving into town.

I want to get in and out fast. Truck stops allow me to do that. I really hate diesel pumps with the small nozzle designed for cars and most light trucks. Give me the big honker that fills my tank quickly.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #27

If you have a good range, say 400 to 500 miles between fuel stops, you can take advantage of tax differences the truckers can't get away from. The truckers pay taxes whether they fuel or not so they manage fuel purchases accordingly. You can skip purchasing in one state to get a break in another if you look at gas buddy or trucker path. Sometimes it will beat the best "station shopping" you can do in some states.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:32 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We used to have a Pacific Pride account, got tired of paying more for fuel plus they required us to buy so much a month and we weren't doing that much traveling so we gave it up.
PP does not require a minimum amount of fuel to be bought. I have been using them for 15 years and have never had a minimum. Sure they can cost more so the answer is to call them and inquire about the location you want to buy fuel

Tags
fuel