Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-19-2016, 04:56 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Big truckstop fuel prices a bit off?

Morning guys. Getting ready to head out west soon. Heard some weird stories at the campground lastweek about TA, pilot, and flying J being 30 cents higher then some of the other gas stations near them (diesel fuel) ?

99 DSDP 3865 Cat 300, 06 Acura TL via dolly
stratob377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #2
Its almost always higher right along the interstate. If you can go in to town a lot of times its cheaper. But you have to ask yourself if its worth the hassle. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. And sometimes I do and its the same price.

93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Just came from a trip to OH, Upstate NY, and then back to Englewood, FL. I noticed that the prices at the stations mentioned were considerably higher?
sandan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:14 AM   #4
You are paying for the convenience. I haven't seen 30 cents yet but often a dime or a bit more.

Since we can usually travel a full day (300-350 miles) on a tank I try to find a local station after we stop at a CG and disconnect the 5er for the night. That isn't always 100% but works much of the time.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
I use Gasbuddy for planning fuel stops and can usually save +$0.20 per gallon. The larger truck stops are almost always higher then other stations nearby. It doesn't bother me to pull into the smaller stations if I believe I can fit, it space is limited I'll just go to the next station.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #6
The truck stops will be higher, ya even 30 cents higher, I won't complain until they reach 4.00 again. Hopefully never. Right now, it's time to relax and enjoy the wonderful life of RV.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

I look for Independent truck stops. They usually are .10 to .30 cheaper. That doesn't sound like much but is $5 to 20, less per fill up, times many fill ups per year is hundreds per year.
Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:42 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Be aware of what you are buying ... Out west many stations are using 20% biodiesel not the standard 5%. The 20% stuff is not taxed the same or in many places gives the dealer a big tax rebate so they sell it as much as 30-40 cents cheaper.
Fuel is certainly cheaper off the freeway and at smaller stations. But how's the access and how "fresh" is the fuel ? In diesel it can matter . Just be aware when seeing a really cheaper price, it may be for the same product.... or not !
2003 Beaver Marquis

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:49 AM   #9
I know perfectly well that I can buy fuel cheaper than what the freeway truck stops sell it for. That should be easily seen by anyone willing to look.

The bigger issue is access when you're driving something bigger. Do you want to hunt around for cheaper fuel sold by a place big enough to allow you to enter and exit without concern for your rigs safety, or just pull into a truck stop and be done wit it? I think the answer to that question will depend on the size of your rig myself...

Re: Gasbuddy, fuelfinder.com and the like, you can still shop price among the truck stops with tools like that, and plan your fuel stops accordingly. That's something I'm guilty of doing. When you have a range of 5-600 miles, you can also avoid areas/states with higher fuel prices.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a gasser, yesterday at Sams it was 24 cents cheaper than the other stations around town. I know it doesn't sit long in there tanks, We waited 10-15 minutes to get to a pump. On the road we pay attention as we go down the Hwy who has the less expensive gas and stop when we find it cheaper. With a 100 gallon tank it sure makes a difference.
I noticed last year on the way too AZ after we left our home state it was almost 60-70 cents a gallon cheaper. We hit California and it was almost 2.00 dollars more per gallon.
I can remember going with dad when I was a kid it was .19 cents a gallon, cigs were .27 cents a pack now 8.00 bucks a pack in Minnesota.
Just saying,
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
x2 Gasbuddy app or website. Saved me major moola over the years. Not always 100% accurate but pretty close and best information source of fuel prices out there. A little planning can save a bundle. ie do I purchase now or wait till I cross into the next state, take a 2 mile ride up the road and save .30 a gal? I also only stick with name brands with the hope/expectation that their fuel is fresh. That may be right or may be wrong but it's what I do. Never had a bad fuel experience. Some of the stations can be a challenge to maneuver. If that is your concern stick to the close to interstate truck stops where you'll most likely have fewer problems.
'16 Bounder 35K - 5 Star Tune - Roadmaster RSSA
'16 Ford Focus - Blue Ox Avail towbar and baseplate - RViBrake2
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
Country Coach Owners Club
I oscillate between FlyinJ/Pilot and Pacific Pride. I like going in with the 18 wheelers so I don't have to worry about being trapped in or having to dodge little cars.

If you watch the fuel prices, you can come to within 5 cents of a small station. By using the FJ/Piolt credit card, I get the cash price minus 6 cents a gallon.
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #13
Gasbuddy is useful not only for where you are, but where you are going. Traveling from Ohio to Florida I have had times when the price difference can be as much as 50 cents per gallon because of what state you are buying in. We always look to see what the next state has for pricing.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm really shocked!! Apparently I haven't been paying attention, even though I pay attention. I've been rolling around the country for four years, looking at the posted prices of every fuel station I pass; bought fuel round about 50 times, about 4000 gallons, and the greatest fuel price differential I've seen was about 18 cents between NC and VA. Folks here are talking about 20 to 30 cents. I've never seen that. And then there was 50 cents! Astounding! Hard to fathom!

My obviously faulty experience is that highway truck stops run about 6-10 cents above the local retailers, and that's reasonable given the nature of the facility they have to maintain. I always use the big truck plazas, for convenience, security, reliability, and yes, for cost. Your overall long term costs will be lower sticking to the truck plazas. It's not just the price of the fuel, it's the overall risk exposure, as ahicks said above. You can waste a lot of fuel looking for cheaper fuel. Wasted time, RV skin rash, old fuel with scungy water in it, risk of accident on small local roads with thicker traffic, etc.

I only buy about 1000 gallons of diesel a year. That's maybe $100 or less, and it's worth it to me for the reasons above.

What if I bought 20,000 gallons per year? Is it worth chasing the price? Better yet, what if I owned a fleet of 2000 trucks and I bought 40 MILLION gallons per year? Saving a penny a gallon would be $400K in my pocket! But do you see all these big national fleets going local to save that money? No, you don't. Because the fleet operators know that the real risk is operating large vehicles in local traffic, and it's well worth the $200 per year per truck to keep their fleet in large fuel plazas in the company (for the most part) of other professionals, and being fed clean, fresh fuel.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote