Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Bike Carrier

We have a 40' Phaeton QBH. We want to carry our bicycles with us on our travels. We have a Kuat NV bike carrier . I called their technical line today and they told me they do not suggest using it on the back of the RV. There is just too much motion. Our bicycles weight 46 pounds each which is fine for the carrier.

Would everyone please let me know thoughts on installing a front hitch on the RV to carry the bikes or if you have any other suggestions? We do not pull a vehicle right now. My husband is concerned with carrying them on the back at all since the exhaust from the engine would be blowing right on the bikes and it gets VERY hot and since Kuat does not recommend it, that is not an option.

If you think the front hitch would be the way to go, please let me know your thoughts on a hitch extension if we need it. When we put the carrier on the back of the RV and set the bikes on the carrier, the handle bars hit the back of the RV (too close) so we would need an extension for the hitch. I'm not sure that would be the case on the front, but would like opinions. Thank you, Amy
afrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I have to agree with Kurt, the bike hitch on the back can be an issue with the movement and exhaust of the engine. A hitch on the front can work, you might want to cover the seats with something so you don't have to scrape bugs off them before riding.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On the front like buses do, but don't take the bikes to Alaska front or back. Sanford PS maybe a cover for the bikes that will stay on.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

we have a bike rack for 4 full size bikes on the back of our DP in between it and the toad - never a problem, and exhaust is not anyware near them. 21k miles and no issues, no mater the bumps, dips, or rough roads.
We have an 8" drop extension, then the dual receiver bike rack(bike receiver on top, 2" receiver for toad BluOx alpha bar on bottom receiver).
Bike rack and dual bike receiver both bought off the shelf at wally world...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Would love to see a few pics of your setup for your bikes.
Cessnapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #6

We have a trailer bike rack as well a ladder bike rack which cost about $25. Surprisingly the ladder rack has worked well for 2 adult sized bikes.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
"Too much motion"? What are they worried, about? That the up-and-down force might snap the piece that mounts into the hitch?

We had a Pro-Series 63124 Eclipse on the 32-footer we rented for a 1500 mile trip through the mountains, and it held up great through that. Of course, we only had steel bikes on it--no carbon race bikes are going on a top-tube-mounting rack

Once we get our Newmar, it's going on that too--although I don't have any experience to share quite yet on that rig.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
We own the Kuat NV rack as well and put it on the back of our Winnebago Journey DP all the time without issue. We put the bikes on and use a 3-bike cover and don't notice any thing other than typical road dust you would get from normal driving in a regular vehicle.

Both the rack and the coach have 2" hitch assemblies, so unless you are using an adapter for a smaller hitch, I don't understand the "too much movement" comment from Kuat. LOVE the Kuat NV rack!

Good Luck.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #9

Your bikes weigh 46 lbs each???
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #10

We have a Thule T2 rack that goes on back (hitch) of the toad (Subaru). Our bicycle shop said the same thing about the back of the motorhomes, also the road grime that builds. I think I would be more nervous of a rack that grabs the top tube of a bicycle vs. one where the tires sit in. We put our mountain bicycles and dual sport bicycles on the rack but if we bring our road bicycles (carbon) they go inside on the bed.

Again the Thule T2 has been on tieback of the Subaru for many miles with no issue other then the bicycles get a little dirty especially if it rains while traveling.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433812431.624251.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	96692Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433812500.015919.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	96693
Here are pics with our bike cover on and off. We relocated the license for compliance sake. The Thule works as advertised for the last 2 years.
Bespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #12

Smile

8" 'drop' receiver extension(turned upside down to provide 8" ride height increase for tow bar to toad height), Dual bike rack extension, with Bike rack on top, BlueOx Alpha tow bar on bottom...

if it wasn't for the rear view monitor we would not know the bikes or car are there! The DP with 300 Cummins has no problem with towing both, 21k miles, across country twice, thru the mountains, everywhere...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	96694  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slolane View Post
Your bikes weigh 46 lbs each???
Yes, I raised an eyebrow too.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #14

We are also looking at getting the Kuot. It is nicely built. But I too got the lecture at two bike shops about it not being approved for RV use. I find that absurd given my experience with a 4 bike rack behind a 31' long Class C motorhome (Huge overhang behind rear axle) and a 1 1/4" adapter BEHIND a cargo rack. The bikes were waay behind the moho. We used this setup for years (Thule bike rack, BTW) and it worked great.

I suppose Kuot and the others just don't want to have to warranty cover their racks if used in this manner.

I do prefer the stout Kuot with it's 2" hitch over the otherwise nice Swagman Semi 2.0 which has a 1 1/4" hitch tube.

If I am comfortable with a setup behind a diesel pusher and in front of the toad, I will do it. The toad will already have kayaks on it and I'd rather not also have bikes back there when it is time to drive into town.

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote