Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I agree about not hanging on the ladder.

Have you looked at a dual hitch extension, and then using a hitch mounted bike rack?

The bike rack i ended up buying fits over the ball mount's square tube and tightens to it with 2 set screws (bolts). I did end up buying a short extension which works well with the boat in tow. I'd think it would be fine using with a dolly or flat towing but it might be good to make sure.

Below is the type we've been using for years. Only thing, it's only good for bikes with straight crossbars that have around 4 inches space between it and any other bar.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
I have the double hitch. Have never had a problem with it or turning with my Tow dolly and toad. I could move the hitch to my toad if needed as well. Never worry about my bikes, use heavy bike lock to lock all 3 to the rack.
Thank you for the picture. His really helps.
Crock2Crock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just make sure that if you get a double hitch extender, that it is rated for towing a vehicle. Most of the double hitch extenders out there are only rated for 3500lbs which is not enough for towing a vehicle. Roadmaster makes a couple that are rated for 10,000lbs and of course cost much more than the others. Other manufacturers may also have higher rated extenders. But don't cheap out and buy an underrated hitch extender.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I agree about not hanging on the ladder.

Have you looked at a dual hitch extension, and then using a hitch mounted bike rack?

That's what I use, but be aware that you have to hitch the dolly up first, then slide the bike rack into the top receiver. There is not enough clearance to do it the other way around.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Just make sure that if you get a double hitch extender, that it is rated for towing a vehicle. Most of the double hitch extenders out there are only rated for 3500lbs which is not enough for towing a vehicle. Roadmaster makes a couple that are rated for 10,000lbs and of course cost much more than the others. Other manufacturers may also have higher rated extenders. But don't cheap out and buy an underrated hitch extender.
Curt sells one rated for 7000 lbs.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Harbor freight around 75.00 bucks but only carries 2 bicycles.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_162655.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	139673  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
The dual hitch extension has worked well for us as well.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #22

Like already said, get the Roadmaster double hitch extension with various drops/rises. Its rated at 10,000 pounds.

We have a 4-bike rack hooked to our MH and tow a 4-door Jeep. It doesn't come close to the Toad. Has plenty of room. I can even hook the Toad up while the bikes are on there. We carried four bikes cross country with this set up last year with no problems.

We also have a hitch on the Toad, but don't bike every day. The kids bike mostly in the CGs where the MH is with the bikes on it. It is a pain to get into the back of the Toad with the bikes hanging back there. Our bike rack is the swing out of the way kind an is still a pain.

I would guess if you bike a lot and need to drive to where you are going to bike, your best bet is to put them on the Toad. We do that too some times. Depends on the trip.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #23

I dont like the ladder either. I suggest the type that the bikes sit into instead of hanging. I had the blue ox, hanging style, which was OK.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #24

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments. Will post pics once we've made our decision. Safe and enjoyable travels to everyone! !
Crock2Crock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Keep in mind you may want to take the bikes to a trailhead with your toad - I never understood why anyone with a toad would carry bikes on the motor home. We have a locking hitch mounted rack for our Edge, wrap a bike cable around everything and we're good to go. When at the campsite or extended stays, it takes two minutes to remove the hitch, throw it under the RV, and lock the bikes to the RV hitch.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been looking at the adapter option also for hauling bikes and fire wood on a rack on the back of the motor home.

Would have to have an extension also to get the rack back away from the bikes.

Thought about going to a welder and have them build a hitch to mount on the front of the motor home. I could mount it to the frame and then put my bike rack on it.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
The bike rack i ended up buying fits over the ball mount's square tube and tightens to it with 2 set screws (bolts). I did end up buying a short extension which works well with the boat in tow. I'd think it would be fine using with a dolly or flat towing but it might be good to make sure.

Below is the type we've been using for years. Only thing, it's only good for bikes with straight crossbars that have around 4 inches space between it and any other bar.

Ive had the one above mounted to the MH. Usually have 1 tandem and 2 mountain bikes, depends where and how long we will be away like a month +

Once I get the bikes loaded so nothing hit rubbed etc. I took quite a few pictures so I could remember how to put the puzzle back together.

And if you look at the background you will see my toad ford ranger with my
'85 FXRS Harley in the bed on a rampage lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0901.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	139947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	139948  

bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
The dual hitch extension has worked well for us as well.
That looks a lot different than the other ones pictures - the spread looks like its overs a foot. What brand is it?
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack