Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bilstein Shocks

I have only 12,000 miles on my Bilstine Shocks but my RV rides like the Shocks have 120,00 miles on them. Why so rough ? Would I be better off to install Koni Shocks to get a better ride.

Thanks for the info.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Last year I replaced my older Bilstein shocks with new ones. There was an amazing difference in the valving between the old and new shocks. The old shocks were actually in very good condition, and probably could have been used for several more years. We just couldn't tolerate the ride.

When I removed the old Bilstein shocks, I could hardly open or close them. They were almost like rock solid pieces of iron in both directons. When installing the new Bilstein shocks, I was able to compress them fairly easily, and they extended reasonably slowly.

The difference in ride and handling between the old Bilstein shocks and the new series Bilstein shocks is like night and day. I cannot speak for the Koni shocks. I have never used them. Some say that Konis used to be better than Bilsteins, but then say that today they're not better, just more expensive.

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #3

What is the rough cost of putting in new shocks?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is it the shocks or is it maybe something else. Maybe tracking bar adjustment, ride hieght, tires, just a guess. I have always been happy with Bilstien shocks, that's my opinion but you know what they say about opinions everyone has one just like--- well you get the drift.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Shocks really don't have that much to do with ride comfort, unless you drive in a lot of potholes.

Have you adjusted your tire pressures for the actual axle load? Too much psi can give a very harsh ride.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #6

I just had 2 Konis installed on my front and they charged me $90.00.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Shocks really don't have that much to do with ride comfort, unless you drive in a lot of potholes.

Have you adjusted your tire pressures for the actual axle load? Too much psi can give a very harsh ride.
Actually the have a great deal to do with ride!! Too stiff and you'll get a ride like a buckboard, too soft and it'll wallow like it has no shocks.

I went through about 6 sets of shocks and a set of front air bags trying to get the ride smoothed out on our DSDP after the front axle was changed. Reyco Granning kept sending Bilstein shocks with different valving. The last set of Bilsteins had 30% less compression than stock and was pretty good, until they sent me a pair of Koni adjustable's. They're still on and adjusted to the lowest setting. Reyco Granning is sold on Bilsteins and with the new Comfitrack shocks I may try them since Koni doesn't make FSD's for my front axle yet.

The Koni's cost about $150 each and since I do the work myself it's FREE!!
The new Bilsteins are about $105 each.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
So do you think that the Bilstein Comftrack shocks are as good as the Koni FSD's?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My understanding is that a good shock is supposed to compress almost freely and extend slowly. That way, when the coach hits a bump, the air bags control the impact as the weight of the coach jams down on them. When the weight of the coach subsequently attempts to fly back up from the air bags, the shocks are supposed to control and slow down the upward movement.

My old Bilstein shocks were probably two way action shocks, so in effect they were trying to stop the vehicle from jamming down on the air bags, which in effect made the vehicle ride like it was on bricks.

I haven't heard from anybody that has actually compared the performance of the new Bilstein shocks and the Koni shocks.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micki49 View Post
So do you think that the Bilstein Comftrack shocks are as good as the Koni FSD's?
No way to know till I try them!! Koni doesn't make FSD's for our front 14,600# axle I'm using the older adjustable ones, with FSD's on the rear. Reyco Granning seems to think they're as good as the Koni's but without testing them myself I have no way of knowing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #11

The cheapest price I found for a set of 4 Bilsteins delivered to my door for my 99 F53 is $359.99 from Shock Warehouse.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #12

Had the rough ride problem with Bilstein shocks 2years ago. Replaced them with Koni units all round and it made a tremendous difference in the ride especially on the I5 in California.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my Koni adjustable shocks last year with Bilsteins. Although they offer the "comfort" shock I was advised by Bilstein western rep to use the regular HD shock. I did and am quite happy with the ride. I believe these are the same shocks that JimKate ended up with and are quite happy. I had several emails back and forth with them before I bought mine. I can't justify the price difference between Konis and Bilstiens for the 5000 or so miles I drive yearly. Knowing how the Bilsteins have performed I would install them even if I drove 30,000 miles a year.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Has anyone had experience with Road King shocks on their RV?

2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks