Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

Black and Gray tank gauges

I m sure this has been discussed before. We have a 2009 HR Endevoure. I have tried the wand in the toilet, have hooked hose to tank clean out, tried chemicals, ice in toilet, heavy duty Dawn dish soap, hot water, In both tanks Black always flickers on the full and the Gray flickers between 1/2 and 3/4 all while empty. I have checked wires on tanks and on gauges all have good connections. I know we can go about 2 weeks between emptying. But it would be nice to press button and know. Next step is to take Coach in and have new sensors. Anything else to do or try. Its under warranty but taking it a dealer is pain in the ass!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I had scale build up on mine from hard water. CLR about a half cup in each tank over time they stopped acting up.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think we all go through this. My grey tank always works.
I used the 'GEO method' to get my black tank working again. I do substituted laundry soap and by trial and error it seems the oxygenated soaps work best (Arm and Hammer). You have to drive to swish the water around. I treat just prior to leaving on a trip, never while sitting in one place.
If they ever fail to clean up again I would go to these probes:
Horst Mircacle Probes - Get accurate reading on your RV's holding tanks
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
I had scale build up on mine from hard water. CLR about a half cup in each tank over time they stopped acting up.
Is this what you used?
CLR Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem is not the sensors being dirty but is due to the tank walls being gunked up and fooling the sensors.

Even the non-contact sensors on the outside of the tank can be fooled if the walls are cruddy enough. SeeLevel even points this out on their web site.

The SeeLevel web site says "If sludge buildup in the tank becomes extreme the gauge will cease to operate (the tank will always read empty), so by monitoring the signal level the tank can be cleaned before the buildup gets excessive".
From HERE

Anything you do to help keep the tank walls clean may help.
Flushing, adding some detergent and water before you drive for a day or so might help.

I have the TrueLevel non-contact system that Winnebago went standard with in 2005 and right now my black tank reads full when empty. The gray tanks shows 2/3 full when empty.

Over the ten years we have been full timing I have tried everything people say will work and nothing worked.
If I pressure wash the inside of the black tank (have done that twice), the level will be measured normally for a few months and then start to lie.

I think the problem is worse for full timers and that may be why some weekend or short term campers find that detergent or some other method works for them.

I just dump it every ten days and don't worry about it anymore.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Thanks for some more usefull Ideas Ill try the CLR and laundry soap tricks next.
Did the driving thing from Travers City Mich. to 60 miles south of Chi. ( 6 hours of slushing ) with no better results.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #7

I have gauges that work ok but I don't trust the black water all that much and just look down the toilet when in doubt. The Gray seems to work ok and about every three months I use the Theadford tank cleaner on it. But mainly I rely on my fresh water tank gauge. When it gets down in the 1/4 range it gets to be time to dump the gray. I rarely hook up to water in parks and just run off our fresh water tank. I do this for a number of reasons. One I'm not sure how long the water in the fresh water tank will stay potable and we do a significant amount of boon docking and I don't want to have to keep sanitizing the plumbing the other issue is the accuracy tank gauges.
The last FMCA ralley we went to there was an outfit there that will run a camera up into the tanks for before and after shots of how effective their power washing of the tanks is. One of the feature speakers stated that this is the only sure fire way he knows of to clean out the holding tanks.
Good Luck
Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps66 View Post
I m sure this has been discussed before. We have a 2009 HR Endevoure. I have tried the wand in the toilet, have hooked hose to tank clean out, tried chemicals, ice in toilet, heavy duty Dawn dish soap, hot water, In both tanks Black always flickers on the full and the Gray flickers between 1/2 and 3/4 all while empty. I have checked wires on tanks and on gauges all have good connections. I know we can go about 2 weeks between emptying. But it would be nice to press button and know. Next step is to take Coach in and have new sensors. Anything else to do or try. Its under warranty but taking it a dealer is pain in the ass!!!!!
Do you know if your sensors are on the inside or outside of your tanks?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Is this what you used?
CLR Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover
Yep, Tom. Half cup and some Dawn dish soap.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
After years of frustration with our tank gauge system, I installed a new See Level gauge system from Garnet Instruments. Now we enjoy absolute perfect accurate reporting.

This is in an older coach with the original tanks. Simply installing the See Level gauge system solved all our problems.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use dawn dish washing liquid every 2 or 3 months. Put a 1/2 cup in with about 10 gallons of water and drive to our next stop, usually 200 to 300 miles. 6 years using this method and the gauges all work correctly.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
We use dawn dish washing liquid every 2 or 3 months. Put a 1/2 cup in with about 10 gallons of water and drive to our next stop, usually 200 to 300 miles. 6 years using this method and the gauges all work correctly.
That's almost exactly what we do with the same results.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #13

I do not pay much attention to the guages. I just go with gut feel. Seems to work out ok. But I will give some of the ideas expressed here a try.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a washer/dryer, like a good shower, and we sometimes take a grandson with us. We watch the gauges.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, tank