Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #15

I'll add another thought on the dumping sequence, after I experienced a shtty scenario ealier this week.

Prior to dumping your black tank, do a very short dump on your gray tank to ensure your hose / connections are sound, because it is a lot better to find out they are not with gray water than black...... Trust me, I had the coupling between my hose sections come apart when the rush of black water went down the hose , thankfully I quickly shut the valve, and it was a grassy area. But a mess to say the least, and a lot of time to wash down the area, hoses etc. And yes, we told the staff so they could wash it down more if they felt it was needed. Can I just say YUK!

My new newbie rules for dumping the black tank.
First, check all hose connections and couplings
Dump some gray water just to be sure everything is good.
Dump black, (rince out if appropriate)
Dump gray

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I'll add another thought on the dumping sequence, after I experienced a shtty scenario ealier this week.

Prior to dumping your black tank, do a very short dump on your gray tank to ensure your hose / connections are sound, because it is a lot better to find out they are not with gray water than black...... Trust me, I had the coupling between my hose sections come apart when the rush of black water went down the hose , thankfully I quickly shut the valve, and it was a grassy area. But a mess to say the least, and a lot of time to wash down the area, hoses etc. And yes, we told the staff so they could wash it down more if they felt it was needed. Can I just say YUK!

My new newbie rules for dumping the black tank.
First, check all hose connections and couplings
Dump some gray water just to be sure everything is good.
Dump black, (rince out if appropriate)
Dump gray
This is good advice that I hadn't considered!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #17

A similar thing happened to me when I was using the cheaper hose from Camping World. Since I went to the Rhino hose, no more worries.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #18

I had an issue last night when I went to flush my system out when I pulled the cap off and I'm guessing some ******* kid pulled out my black water blade and pushed it back in because when I took the cap off out came the vomit inducing smell and chunky liquids from my black tank all over my hand. It came to a stop after a few seconds. After this disgusting experience, I would suggest keeping some latex or nitril gloves in your hose compartment and using them anytime you need to dump your waste.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
X 2 on running the grey as a test. Been there done that on loose connections on black dump before.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:16 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
A similar thing happened to me when I was using the cheaper hose from Camping World. Since I went to the Rhino hose, no more worries.
I also went to the Rhino hose when the cheap hose that came with our used motorhome came apart on us. Luckily, it came apart as I was setting up rather than dumping. The Rhino hose is a world of difference.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusW View Post
I had an issue last night when I went to flush my system out when I pulled the cap off and I'm guessing some ******* kid pulled out my black water blade and pushed it back in because when I took the cap off out came the vomit inducing smell and chunky liquids from my black tank all over my hand. It came to a stop after a few seconds. After this disgusting experience, I would suggest keeping some latex or nitril gloves in your hose compartment and using them anytime you need to dump your waste.
I would suggest always using disposable gloves when dumping the waste tanks. This is some nasty stuff you are dealing with and I've been using them for many years. I buy them by the hundred lot, put them on before I start and when I take them off pull them inside out so that the outside, that has been in contact with the waste is now on the inside and does not have to be touched again. It's just a little safeguard against the massive amount of germs involved.

I also have a clear 90 degree fitting before my Rhino hose so that I can monitor the discharge. After I dump the black waste I use the flush for a full 5 minutes to clean the black water tank and am surprised what then gets washed out. I don't think the prior owner was as careful about cleaning that tank because it takes a full 3-4 minutes before the tank begins to flush clean water out. We just bought this rig in April.

I have been using the GEO method on this trip for a few weeks now and it seems to be effective but I have to ask others who are using it: Can chemicals also be used to cut down on the odor from the toilet? I never thought about shutting off the vent when flushing until I just read that here and will have to keep that in mind.

Thanks.

Dick

Tags
tank, water