Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #57

Finally got drainage, put camera up exit and found what appears to be a hard brick of poo. Chip away with a metal rod and used a power washer. Had to also remove the tank washdown and was able to pressure wash from other end. What a pain in my crack! Thanks for all the post.
Lucky duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 04:10 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Sorry, I was working under the understanding that all black (sewer) tanks were vented like mine is, aren't they? I know in city sewers, using water pressure with a Sewer Jetter to clear clogged pipes can produce results, but with a potential sloppy dirty mess.

Back in the day....actually many years ago in the 60's, I was at the bottom of a sewer manhole (Personal Access Chamber to be politically correct) pushing a high pressure hose through the dead end of a city sewer pipe that had a clog. Sewer water upstream had backed up for about 200 to 400 feet and was building up inside the next manhole. When that clog let loose, a lot of water rushed into the manhole I was standing in and tried to get out the exit pipe. But the force and volume was too great and the manhole I was standing in started to flood. Ever try and climb a slippery reinforcing steel steps embedded in the side walls inside a manhole with while long white streamers clinging to your hip waders? To make matters worse, they were pumping air down into the manhole. When the sewer water reached the end of the air pipe, the air made the horrible smelling sewer water bubble and splatter. I was soaked from my head to toes and my crewmates were rolling on the ground in laughter. It's a wonder I have lived as long as I have!

Because your immune system got a boost that day and it is still stronger than average. You might see 120 years because of that.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:27 AM   #59

Quote:
I like this idea. Instead of adding water to the outlet to attempt to break up the clog, you are proposing to use compressed air. I like it. I would use a second wastegate or knife valve to the outlet and introduce the air between the original wastegate valve and the newly added second wastegate valve by using a tire valve attached to the side of the pipe.(see pictures) That way there would be no mess at all. Note of caution though, the sewer pipe connection to my tank is a simple slip fit with pipe mastic sealing the slip fit. Too much pressure could cause that pipe to slip out from the tank causing a real crappy situation.

The parts are already available to do what you described. There is an end cap for the sanitary drain that will accept a hose connection. A long piece of clear extension can be found and a shraeder valve connection for the air chuck with a hose connection is available.
Having said that I agree with Mr. Grindstone's warning. The blockage could form a fairly airtight pocket where the vent can not work. If it dosent rupture, it may separate a fitting or worse.
Good luck and get out the rain gear.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:20 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
That’s what $9hr gets ya.
That particular coach was built in '88. Google is pretty sure the minimum wage was like $3.35 back then.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:00 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
That particular coach was built in '88. Google is pretty sure the minimum wage was like $3.35 back then.
Well, there you go. I guess that proves that paying a worker nearly three times the minimum wage doesn't guarantee quality work.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a trick I've used successfully for dried poo. As you ready to drive home or to your next destination, flush a 2-3 bags of ice down the toilet. As you drive the sloshing of the ice will break up the poo, then the ice will melt and you can drain it all out.

Repeat treatments may be required is the situation is especially sh!tty.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickTX View Post
There is a trick I've used successfully for dried poo. As you ready to drive home or to your next destination, flush a 2-3 bags of ice down the toilet. As you drive the sloshing of the ice will break up the poo, then the ice will melt and you can drain it all out.

Repeat treatments may be required is the situation is especially sh!tty.

I have heard of the ice solution, it just seems that the ice would melt in about the first 5 minutes which would hardly get the drive started. A black tank should be warm from the decomposing that has already begun which also would speed up the ice melt process.
Another option we do is to pour soap or dish washer packets along with 3-5 gallons of water on a 100 mile or longer drive and let the sudsy water slosh around. I them dump the black tank when we stop and what come out is still nasty dirty. Then follow with a tank flush. This is more of a preventative tank procedure.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #64

There is a video out there showing what a half full holding tanks look like as you drive around. There wasn't much "sloshing around" going on at all. You would have to swerve back and forth recklessly to cause any significant disturbance.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #65

Fill it till almost full add 1/4 cup of ridx, let it sit for 24 hours. Then dump it, if you have a clear adapter you can see whats coming out. Once empty add water and aqua chem, or a liquid tank additive. Another old school trick if you have a straight drop toilet is to fill half way then dump 2 or 3 bags of ice down the toilet, then go on a drive, it will slosh around and clean you tank
Robtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtech View Post
Fill it till almost full add 1/4 cup of ridx, let it sit for 24 hours. Then dump it, if you have a clear adapter you can see whats coming out. Once empty add water and aqua chem, or a liquid tank additive. Another old school trick if you have a straight drop toilet is to fill half way then dump 2 or 3 bags of ice down the toilet, then go on a drive, it will slosh around and clean you tank

I’ve heard add salt and borax to the mix.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:20 AM   #67

Quote:
There is a video out there showing what a half full holding tanks look like as you drive around. There wasn't much "sloshing around" going on at all. You would have to swerve back and forth recklessly to cause any significant disturbance.
I would think half full would defeat the purpose. The ice would need to slosh around on the solids to have any effect, and floating around on top wouldn't do much good. I could see where a couple of bags sliding around on the bottom may do some good -- maybe. It'd slide fore and aft on stopping and starting. It's slide side to side on turns. Maybe on bumps it'd bounce a bit.

But as someone said above, it wouldn't last long.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #68

I'll save my ice cubes for more enjoyable uses.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #69

Quote:
I'll save my ice cubes for more enjoyable uses.

Tags
black tank, tank