Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Black tank flush winterization

Getting ready to winterize for the first time. Will use the "pink stuff". Not sure about the black tank flush line. Don't see how I can put pink stuff in it. Don't have compressed air to blow out the line but do have a bicycle pump. Think that will work on such a short line?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The sewer pipes and tanks just need to be drained as much as possible after you have run the pink stuff through all your plumbing.
Once you have done that pour pink stuff in all your traps, toilet bowel to keep your seal from drying out during winter months, close off the dreain pipes and pour some pink to back up in sewer pipes behind the tank valves.
Here is a thread that will cover much more.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Good catch ... that's an easy line to miss. I don't use the pink stuff on that line; I just blow it out. It's not a long pipe, but it will freeze if you leave water in it. I'd try to find an air source that is more powerful than a bicycle pump, I think. A hand pump may just gurgle bubbles through the pipe without pushing out the water. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

Don't know about yours, but on Tiffins the line in question id nylon reinforced hose. The vacuum breaker is under the bathroom sink and is the highest point in the system. As long as you don't have a cap on the inlet the line will drain, either into the tank or out the inlet. In the event there's a bit of water still in a hose low point, the hose can take freezing, it's soft.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

The line maybe OK but any water in the vacuum valve will freeze and crack it. Ask me how I know !!!! They're $36.00 to replace
Old 10-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #6

Black tank flush winterization

Sorry error
Old 10-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
Getting ready to winterize for the first time. Will use the "pink stuff". Not sure about the black tank flush line. Don't see how I can put pink stuff in it. Don't have compressed air to blow out the line but do have a bicycle pump. Think that will work on such a short line?
How are you getting the pink stuff in all of your other lines. If you are using the pump to get it into the other lines then just flush a few times until you see it in the bowl ?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #8

The line I am referring to is the black tank flush line in the black tank. Thanks for your posts so far. Looks like I'm going to have to beg, borrow or steal a portable air tank. No one seems to like my idea of a bicycle pump!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
The line I am referring to is the black tank flush line in the black tank. Thanks for your posts so far. Looks like I'm going to have to beg, borrow or steal a portable air tank. No one seems to like my idea of a bicycle pump!
Maybe I'm missing something but why can't you just open the black tank flush to run pink into the black tank in the same manner you do for all the other lines?
What am I missing?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #10

My terminology must be wrong. The line I'm referencing connects with an outside water hose in the wet bay and cleans out the black tank with water from the outside water spigot.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've never done mine, and never had a problem, but I do live in a mild climate. Best and easiest way would have to be compressed air.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #12

Good catch, that is one line I didn't blow out or put in pink
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know exactly which line you are talking about. I use a hand pump that I got at Harbor freight for $6.99. One end goes into a gallon of RV antifreeze and the end is fitted with a hose end. I screw the hose end into the black tank flush out and then pump about half of it through the flush. The pink stuff stays in the black tank over the winter and is drained upon recommisioning.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #14

Stevieg- that's an idea I can use. Did the hand pump line come with the hose connection or did you have to add it. There is a Harbor Freight store 5 miles from me!

Tags
tank, winter