Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Black tank help?

Is it a good idea to put septici field yeast in your black tank, to break down waste?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
No! Your black tank is a temporary holding tank, not a septic tank. Stuff won't be in there long enough for the chemicals to do their thing.

No chemicals of ANY kind are needed in your black tank. Just keep plenty of water and flush out when about 2/3rd full. If you have a tank rinse unit, add water to the tank via this to get the tank up to 2/3rds full. If no rinser, just add water down the toilet.

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
No! Your black tank is a temporary holding tank, not a septic tank. Stuff won't be in there long enough for the chemicals to do their thing.

No chemicals of ANY kind are needed in your black tank. Just keep plenty of water and flush out when about 2/3rd full. If you have a tank rinse unit, add water to the tank via this to get the tank up to 2/3rds full. If no rinser, just add water down the toilet.

X2.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #4

Usual time that my black tank goes between emptying; 3/4 days; , wouldn't be enough for the yeast to start it's process.
JMHO: The yeast would probably produce more fumes in the tank, not really what you're after.

EDIT: My slow typing rears it's ugly head again , finished fourth in this reply.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Do a site search for "Black Tank Treatments", you will have enough reading to keep you busy for a few days! The usual favorites will appear many, many times. Quite a few folks swear by simply using lots of water, most agree to flush several times to make sure you completely empty the tank. I purchased a clear elbow connection to watch the water until it runs clear. I am also tinkering with the "GEO" method currently, so far so good.
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have been using the Happy Camper (no relation) tank treatment for 12 years and could not be happier! We never have any odors and it dissolves EVERYTHING! The give you a money-back satisfaction guarantee! you can now get it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2cddr7ppf9_b

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #7

The nice thing about adding chemicals is that the people that do that also maintain their systems properly so they never know whether or not the additives work... ;-)

FWIW - water and a healthy hit of detergent with a good soak once in a while.
Before I winterize I will fill top off the black tank with water and dump when I leave the park. When I de winterize I will dump 5 or 10 gallons of water into the tank with a cup or so of detergent a week before I head out. Any leftovers that occured during the trip home will dry out over the winter due to the venting. Not enough to worry about when it freezes.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #8

It may not be a septic system but if you use warm water with a yeast type cleaner it will work in just a few hours. Septic systems are below ground and cold so bacteria grows slowly and takes more time to work. I've been using bacteria products for years most of them are cheap to use as it only takes a small amount. When I pull the dump valve all that ever comes out is liquid. If it isn't cleaning my tank then at least I'm helping the campground to maintain their septic system.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Water, water, water. Everything else is a money maker for the manufacturer and the retailer...non of it is needed in the black tank.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm always amused by those who use one type or another of black tank chemicals and report that their system works just fine with it. I gotta ask, how do you know that it wouldn't be the same without the chemicals?

Back in the day when I first started rv'ing (camping actually) I fell into this advertising gimmick that I had to have some sort of chemicals in my black tank or else I'd be real sorry. Well, after i forgot to do it a couple of times and noticed that my tanks were operating just fine, I quit all together.... That was many, many years ago and with just using water and rinsing out the tank each time I drain it, I've never have had a problem. No odors, no plug ups...nothing.

I did have problems with my macerator in my last mh, but went back to the stinky slinky with this one.

IMO, black tank additives are not required and will only lighten your wallet.

Ron
Old 10-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #11

AND........

May I add that I also add:

After dumping the black tank, I add several gallons of water back into the black tank to keep the gooo on the bottom of the tank from drying out.

A wet black tank is a happy black tank!

JohnnyB
Old 10-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
No chemicals of ANY kind are needed in your black tank. Just keep plenty of water and flush out when about 2/3rd full.
Generally, I agree, but once in a while you may want to add something to your black and gray tanks -- for example, when you're boon docking or when you want to sanitize your tanks.

In these instances, I'll add a bleach solution.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Generally, I agree, but once in a while you may want to add something to your black and gray tanks -- for example, when you're boon docking or when you want to sanitize your tanks.

In these instances, I'll add a bleach solution.
When we were in the camping mode (years ago), I would wait until my tanks were almost full to the brim before I'd go emptying them and still never had an odor or plug problem. And, WHY in the world would you want to sanitize your tanks?

Ron
Old 10-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I live in great fear of being stuck somewhere I can't dump the tanks immediately and have a methane overload in my MH!. I guess, its just you normal idea of what is hygienic and what isn't. Not having my tanks at least containing a bit of bleach just creeps me out and I am not a sissy, trust me, takes a lot to creep me out!

Tags
tank